1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you put traps down for Crabs, are they yours or can anyone look in them?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bigcod2, Apr 29, 2010.

1. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

I know this is a really debatable subject, as over the years I have known people come to blows about this. If you spend your time digging tyres in stinking mud etc......
    Do you have the right to kick someone out of them if they get there before you?????

Phil

2. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

i think that if they arnt yours and you give the owner of them an hour or so to come down. if hes not there after that amount of time then they should be ok to do.

3. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

But once that tyre goes into the ground, who does it belong to??????????

4. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi PhilK if you put the traps out then whats inside is ours anybody that takes the peelers out is stealing (in my mind) and should i find out who nicked them i would have a chat with them A S A P chances are the ard would be wearing a tyre round his or her thieving neck i dont know anybody that likes a thief tightlines Alain

5. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

raid them all phill

6. robq

robq Rockling

I think its low to raid other anglers traps if they have taken the time to set them. However one single angler cannot expect to claim a stretch of river or shoreline all to himself surely ?? IMO there would be nothing wrong with setting your own traps close by.

7. mikefish

mikefish Blenny

its always the lazy twats that cant be bothered to put traps in that raid.

8. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Thats a hot one Phil :evil: It can be looked on in many ways :confused: I personally wouldn't raid them as morally they don't belong to me. I would think legally they don't belong to the person who set them and some would say they should'nt be there anyway. It would be very annoying after doing all the spade work to have some one clean them out before you, I,m sure many lads feel the same but decide to have a rake around them if they feel no one else is going to check them on that particular tide, especially when it,s dark.

9. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

I would not touch them.

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

Crab Wars .... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

11. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

never bothered me when i had tyres in many years ago, if i wasnt down to do them so what? whats the big deal someone doing them. as for ownership you may say i brought them tyres down but could u be liable for tipping? i think a long time ago a boat owner had his prop or summit damaged and complained to tees and hartlepool port think they wanted to stop the tyres and had their bobby taking reg. no,s to find who was putting tyres in. and the crabs arent your personal crabs! ( unless your 6ft 6 and the best fighter in the world) just be sensible about it
    just a thought

12. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I used to say if all interested parties put some tyres down it wouldnt pose a problem, but then you get the free loaders who would never do anything to help the position just hang on like leeches and ticks, ive known some people who have never put a tyre down [ trap ] and have crabbed for donkeys years which in my mind just isnt right , then i have seen people swimming into tyres and i mean swimming, only there feet
    could be seen on the surface, these people had traps themselves but of course they were doing this dispicable act in somebody elses traps
    then the unsuspecting angler would come down to do his traps and guess what there was next to nothing in them, and i will tell you something else these cretins cant see anything wrong with that, they are beneath contempt self , self, self and if there is anything left SELF AGAIN :crazy: :sick: :nerd: :nerd: :cry:

13. Hairybeast

Hairybeast Blenny

let us look at it in a different light, and before you ask, yes I did have crab traps but not as many as a lot of anglers have, I have sent Glen an article I wrote on the subject for TSF, which upset a few anglers who had traps, but there where many more letters of support from anglers who didn't.
    Anyway, the anglers who put traps out think that anyone going through them are stealing their carbs, firstly the tyres may be yours but the carbs are not, they are anybody's and as for stealing them out your traps, are you not stopping the crabs from going to where they would normally go before traps where put out, and free for anybody to collect, so are you not stealing the crabs from others who can no longer get crab in fear of a bash around the ear, going through someones tyres, I have know anglers pack up fishing because of the attitude of others over collecting crab. As for anyone putting tyres down, they are not tipping, and this has been proven in a recent court case.

14. Hairybeast

Hairybeast Blenny

chances are Cliff that these are the commercial crabbers who tour the country collecting crab anywhere they can, have also seen crabbers in wet suits etc, but on the other hand, one did my traps when there was about two to three foot of water over them, he collected very little, when he had gone and did them, I got a bucket full.

15. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

If someone lawfully sets tyres as crab traps then the crabs that are in them in it could be argued have been reduced into the possession of the person setting the traps and so anyone raiding them it could be argued is committing theft. Just the same as lawfully set nets etc. Now that would be an interesting test case much like the setting of the tyres was.

16. cod.ling1973

cod.ling1973 I will cast more than 100 yards one day :-)

I personally think its abit naughty to hijack someone elses hard work so its a no no from me, old tyres are easy to get hold of just drive along country roads and you will probably find plenty of old tyres thrown in the hedgeback :butt:

17. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

All depends how much your dentist will charge for some new knashers :wink: :tease:

18. jacfodder

jacfodder Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Although the crabs are not yours, its a no no to raid someone Else's hard work and personally i would not touch them. One comment was raid them all (jokingly I think) Let me put another slant on it, netters don't own the fish in their nets. but supposing you rolled up and someone was emptying your net what would the reaction be then. I believe the answer would include the use of a first aid kit

19. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

I would say yes to your post Philk However the Crown owns must of are UK tidal land between high and low water. And as a committee member of a local boat club for many years now I no we have to pay a licence fee to the Crown Commissioners to have are moorings on the river bed and always have had to and this is not any part of Harbour dues that's extra as well. So really as I understand it any tyres layed anywhere between high and low water would then belong to the crown.

Mind if I had traps down and regular check them I would be rather pist off about it if some one emptied them before me but not enough to think about giving them a good hiding.
    But might just put a few broken bottles in a few but knowing my luck I would forget which ones had them in and cut my own hands to bits.

This link below might be of interest to a few of you. I haven't had a good look at it though.

http://www.thecrownestate.co.UK/moorings_marinas

20. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Slightly off subject but much the same thing really. If a commercial potters pots were uncovered on a big spring tide would it give anyone the right to empty the contents as they might a tyre ?
    I know what the reaction of a lot of potters would be if the raiders were caught and I am sure it would be the same with the tyre setters.
    Its not illegal but its not morally right, they belong to someone else so leave them alone simples !!!!!