1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Icom IC-M33 Handheld Radio

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Dec 11, 2007.

1. carpyken

carpyken New Member

My lovely dear wifey ;D just bought me one of these for Christmas ;D ;D....... Totally waterproof and it floats as well (the worlds first floating marine radio)...it has just got to be one of the best bits of kit possible for us kayakers........But it did come with a little ultimatum....I had to remove the yak from the living room :( :'( :( ;D

2. newdave

newdave Guest

got the same thing Ken, although i bought it in the states & i think it's the IC-M34, not sure what you use for a call sign in a yak ???
    you know that you now have to think of the next essential piece of equipment :D I am very pleased with my waterproof to 10m vivicam 6200w 6.0 mega pixel camera ;D ;D as for moving the yak, cant you just get some cushions to put in it ???

3. carpyken

carpyken New Member

I'm not allowed to play with it yet Dave but downloaded the manual to read. I also picked up a brand new Navico Axis 200 on Ebay for 28 quid ( were retailing for nearly 400 at one time) but it hasnt got a battery which cost in excess of £100, looking for a knackered battery so as I can change the cells.
    Would love a waterproof cam but think thats down the list a little at mo Dave ;), I have an 8 megapixel slr but cannot find a waterproof case for it on the market.

The yaks living quarters has been downgraded to a container I hire for work purposes, its safe, secure and out the way for now :).

As for call signs...officially we don't get one unless we register the yaks lol and get a Ship licence. If we do have to make an emergency call then it is worth quoting our 'T' number identification or licence number which can be found on your Ship portable licence ( apply and download FOC from the Ofcom site). From that number the Coastguard can tell who we are and have all details of next-of-kin ect. As for calling each other - which we are totally in our rights to do on a ship to ship channel - I suppose we will have make some up as real names are a no-no...or better still we could just use our forum names ;D ;D. That course was excellent Dave, just hope i don't forget it all before spring :)