1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I saw this on the beach at runswick lat sunday

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by harrythecod, Feb 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

This is the first time i have actualy saw one first hand ,i didnt know how big they grew reckon this would have been two to three lb when alive :yes: [​IMG] and this nice view of rnswick [​IMG]

2. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Rays bream been a lot washed this winter.
    paul.

3. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah come across a few this winter me self ...beats me to know why they are always getting washed up tho.....

4. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Aye, theres been loads washed up this year. MY mate actually caught one on rod and line this year off skinny jetty

5. CBass

CBass New Member

I think it's a combination of things that leads them to be washed up Dav, they have massive population explosions from time to time that mean they end up off our coasts. They prefer deep water though and not the cold.

Because of their shape they are pretty unstable in a swell so when they get close in because of the wind they get knocked about all over the place, get cold and worn out and end up on the beach dead.

6. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

They allways seem to wash up when the sea temperature is low as we have this winter back in the 70ss i remember these fish washing up alive in droves one night i was on the beach they litterally committ suicide.

7. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

can ya eat them??

8. CBass

CBass New Member

They are very nice apparently...

9. Dav

Dav Rockling

I also heard they are supose to be lovely eating providing you can get one before the rot does...
    I have also heard they are supose to get washed up because of wind and heavy swells , which to be honest i find hard to believe. i can understand the cold snaps catching them out in the shallows , tho but again why dont they use there brains and go to deeper more stable temperatured water were there instinct should take them ....