1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hummersea, cowbar and boulby today

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by mattylamb, Oct 10, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Decided to have a day out at a few spots today, getting to know them a bit better. Started off at hummersea and fished 2 down 2 up - plenty of colour and movement so I was hopeful but I only ended up with 3 rockling.

Trekked up the steps and onto the next mark - cowbar cliffs, where i fished 3 hours up to just before high tide. Didn't fare much better , getting 2 more rockling and 2 of my little friends the pouting.

Next I met up with Gary, Dav and brocky and went down the rope at boulby. Again very poor , loads of rockling bites . It had been a long day so I left the lads down there and made my way up the ropes and headed home.

Not a great result but it was a nice day to be out.

There must be plenty of food further out because even with a good sea and plenty of colour the Cod aren't being tempted to come in to the marks :no:

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Shame all that effort only resulted in Rockling and your good friend the Pouting, must be a shed load of Herring spawn out there to keep them busy :hungry: Better luck next time bud.

3. Acko

Acko Rockling

Nice One
    Its great to see people post on site Even when things are quiet, I Like That...
    I went on Skinningrove Jetty for 3 hours I didnt get a Nibble lol

4. GJW

GJW Rockling

You really deserved a fish Matty for the effort you put in, not much happened after you left i got a few rocklings and managed to sneak this one out at 7lb 14 oz... Feel a bit guilty because you deserved it more than me.. :yes: :yes: that was the only cod caught mate..

[​IMG]

7lb 14oz Boulby Cod..

5. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Lovely clean fish lads very well done

6. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Ard line Matster, defo deserved a fsih or 2.....

Nice 1 Gary.......

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Well done Garry, at least the fish that are showing are good ones. After the swells of the past week you would expect there to be stacks of fish in that area. I dont think I have seen such a bad start to a season for a lot of years.

8. GJW

GJW Rockling

Yes thats what i thought mate, the sea was perfect, i said to Dav and Matty and young Lee (brocky) if there isnt fish here there is something wrong... Like you say i have never known such a poor start to the season, the Cliff tops at Cowbar are always a good indicater for me as to how the season will pan out, and there is very little coming from the tops just the odd one, during good years thae tops produce a lot of smaller codling during sea's in September and October but they are just not there at all.. That is the first clean fish i have had since september the rest have been red which again is not a good sign...Lets hope things improve fast...

9. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

well done Gary! cracking fish mate. don't feel guilty about catching a fish like that bud.

10. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

well done garry on the fish ,it,s a nice fresh one ,but not a lot for the effort put in ,as you say poor start for the season again,it doesnt bode well for the opens that are nearly upon us :sad: still i think i will have a go tonight ,you never know there could be one with my name on it :whistle:

11. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Cracking fish Gary, I'd be over the moon with a fish like that off the shore :yes: Keep up the good work bud.

12. bowesy

bowesy Blenny

well done garry cracking fish !!!

13. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Ive been told the pair trawlers are hammering fish amongst the herring spawn. I suppose this means there is some fish out there, but of course once its in a net, we arent going to catch it on the shore. There is a bit of a theory doing the rounds that suggests there is a lot of fish above us and below us on the coast, but in the Whitby area stocks are poor due to the local trawling fleet.

14. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

nice one gary a lovelly fish, but as people have made the point there is shortage of fish right now , its all happened before and it could
    all change before to long , lets hope so , and matty 10 out of 10 for your efforts :yes: :yes: :yes:

15. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah lovely fish gaz lad well done on winkling her out ...A hard night indded,lovely dying sea perfect for that spot but like you say they just are not there ... Tis a very good pic also..... :whistle: :whistle: :cheesy:

16. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Yes well done on the photo Dav :wink: shame the fish are scarce ,but you had a good try :cool:

17. LERCH

LERCH Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice one Gaz well done. just there is some more that size over the next couple of months.

Russell

18. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well done lads, i only managed 2 rockling last nite

19. Dink

Dink Blenny

Cracking fish Gary well done mate!!!

20. snap off!

snap off! Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done gary, keep them coming mate