1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HUMBER KAYAK FISHING - Fell out of the Kayak in the Humber today

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by cleeclive, Mar 15, 2009.

1. cleeclive

cleeclive Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Set off this morning from Humberstone with light tackle to see if the bass had arrived. I started fishing inside the Haile fort only to have a large grey visitor snorting around the kayak, so it was time for a change of plan. Paddled off a mile or so and had a go for the cod, then spotted the Grimsby armada at the No 4 Bouy another mile North, as it was nice and calm I went paddling, arrived on the edge of the mark and set up 3 rods. First bight was cod and I lost it on the way up, then another which I landed, fish about 4lb. Two more fish hooked but both broke off (only using 10lb line on light spinning rods), anothe couple of missed bites and the tide slacked off, so I paddled back inshore and started fishing a few hundred yards off the beach. I then spotted another canoe with a couple of guys paddling around the haile fort. A few minutes later they paddled up behind me , I turned around to say hello and bloody fell off the kayak tipping it over. What a nightmare, me coughing and spluttering an upside down kayak fish and bits floating around , anchor ropes wrapped around my legs, VHF gone etc etc. I tried to right it then decided it would be better if thes guys towed me into the beach so I passed over my paddle which was attached to the kayak, i got between the two canoes and the lads got my leg un-tangled and got the anchor rope back off the sea bed and the paddled towards the shore. 20-30 mins later I could stand up and was somewhat relieved. Flipped the kayak over to find the box with flares etc gone and a couple of rods.

I was wearing a two piece kayak suit, which kept me warm but not at all dry, trowsers were full of water.

Lessons learnt

1, Don't have anchor lines loose in the floor leg well, stow in a bag that is closed and made fast when not in use.

2 Have VHF securely attached to yourself.

3 Ensure rear box is well strapped in and has a cover on it.

4 Don,t be complacent on a flat calm day, things can still go horribly wrong

5 Think about the best place to have flares, I lost mine

6 Definitely a need to come on your training course if it does not clash with my daughters wedding

7 half an hour was long enough to be in the water especially with another half hour dragging the Kayak back across the beach to the carpark in freezing wet clothes

8 Got plenty of water in the forward hatch, but that may have been with towing it upside down.

Anyway I'm still here to tell the story and learn from my mistakes, and wish to say a special thanks to the couple of guys who got me ashore, and Cleethorpes Beach safety who had obviously seen the incident on their camera and were stood by to assist if necessary.

Lone Kayaking can be a dangerous game, so my son has given me a rollocking and rightly so.

Cleeclive

2. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Re: Fell out of the Kayak in the Humber today

At least your Ok Clive, bit of an experience for you but as you say you've learnt from it, it will only make you a stronger and more experienced kayaker mate. Shame you lost a bit of kit though.

Your welcome on the course, will put your name down and hope you have one of the days free :happy: . You do well fishing the Humber though Clive, some believe its not possible in a kayak, will have to take you up on your offer to join you sometime soon, send me a pm or give me a ring next time you thinking of launching mate :happy:

Ken

3. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I'm just glad you are ok clive. its a lesson for all of us as well as you mate

4. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

Glad you`re ok cleeclive and thanks to those 2 lads for helping you. You were right in it there mate, capsized yak, safety gear gone. Some one was defo watching over you mate, thanks to him as well.

5. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

two incidents that I know of in the last year have both happened on a flat sea, and both due to either turning round quickly or leaning over to grab something. just goes to show how easy things can go wrong.

6. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Glad you are ok Clive, it so easily could of been a different story. As Ken said it's a lesson learnt and you will be a better yakker form the experience. With this sharp rise in kayak anglers this year the kayak course can't come soon enough, I've only been kayaking for 12 months so I'm no expert so looking forward to the course.

7. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

This is the sort of story that has me worried about yacking :scare: even flat calm days can be a dangour ,i know these things are usualy one offs but sometimes you only get one chance ,glad you are ok and definately learned a lesson , :yes: that turned out to be a expensive sortie,a couple of rods VHF safety gear ,you will have to think of a way of securing your rods and other equipment just in case it happens agaian :scared: Best of luck ,HARRY

8. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Well done for sharing your experience with us Clive, you are now "battle hardened" with a few scars :wounded: and believe me you will be a better kayaker for it, nothing is like the real thing for building your confidence, knowledge and experience, I have had a few dunkings, it's great how the old anal nerve makes us all like the incredible hulk :surprise: it's all about knowing your limits and fitness, I soon learned that any twisting of the torso soon upset the balance of the yak, I never now reach over to the rear tankwell, I always shimmy over and go side saddle, the same as pulling out of snags, always have a weak link in your line so it pops out easy

9. mark8

mark8 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

As Clives son obviously glad he is all right if a bit shaken from the experience.

However the important parts from the experience seem to be how easy it is to get complacent on a flat sea. We all know that loose ropes are dangerous, VHF needs to be attatched to the body, not the yak etc etc yet just because the sun is shining and the sea is like a miil pond how many of us cut a corner here and there. The same safety measures need to be taken whatever the conditions.

I'm glad he's able to laugh about the experience now and am sure he'll be making sure everything is where it should be on future trips.

10. Davo

Davo Rockling

Glad you are ok Clive :yes: :yes:

11. newdave

newdave Guest

Glad your ok clive, I made a long post dealing with a few of your bullet points & lost it. :angry:
    As quint says, nothing focus's the mind better than a near miss, its great that you let everyone know as it may stop the same thing happening to someone else.

12. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

You have to be careful when turning round, chop and wind can often catch you out as you go broadside to them. That and a good tide rip that yanks your paddle underneath you are things to watch out for. Glad to hear you're OK. Guess you lost the fish too, along with some of your kit?

13. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

:scare: Great to hear you are ok cleeclive must have been a truly frightening experience.
    As this mishap has happened to an experienced yacker it has got to open the debate as to wether some sort of training standard has got to be imposed and made compulsory for new yackers :scared: :scared:
    Otherwise I fear a tragedy awaits us this summer.

14. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

foo is right, a training standard is needed but we shouldn`t wait till it`s imposed and made compulsory. We have a kayak training course coming up that`s endorsed by the RNLI al be it unofficially. I think we need to regulate ourselves before some one else does and a great way to start would be with these courses. cleeclive has experience, he took precautions and once again I`m real glad he`s ok but, as I said previously thanks to those 2 lads he is safe, this proves one thing that should be the second on our launch list. The first being is it safe to launch, this incident dictates don`t go out alone, minimum 2 yaks. With this you are a couple of minutes away from help that can get to you and assist you if you have a problem. We all do it, I know I do, especially when on holiday I go out alone, even on water I`m not familiar with. Since joining forums I`ve started posting my hols and asking for people to meet in other areas, it has 2 benefits you`re safer and you get a bit of knowledge about where you go. We should talk to dorado and his team about making these couses official, just a rubber stamp from the RNLI would be a great start and would show any official body that we are serious about our safety.

15. cleeclive

cleeclive Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks for all your good wishes guys, daft as it seems the fish was the first thing that I saved as it came floating past me and chucked it in the rescue canoe. I did give it to my saviours however, the very least I could do.

On this question of training, it is going to be essential, I have had over 40 years experience in small boats befre I took up this sport, and have done my sea survival training etc. Still lots of things to learn about kayaking however, and all the dangers with quick weather changes tides etc. My fears are that many people will be attracted to the sport because of its relatively low start up costs who have little or no experience of the sea, and this of course only adds to the potential risks.

It is very important that the sellers of kayaks push people towards training opportunities and websites such as this which are invaluable sources of information, and give an opportunity to share our information.

One of the key aspects to my little skirmish with nature, is not being alone when it happens, otherwise you are easily 'up the creek without a paddle'!

It does sound like it might be the wrong weekend for me to join you on this training course as my daughter gets married on the 25th of April, and we are away in Devon for a week, but there will always be another time

Cheers cleeclive

16. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

cleeclive has made a good point about the retail sector. Would it not be possible to get retail outlets for kayaks, to help in a way that would be beneficial to themselves, people buying yaks and the forums. The retailer would be in a position where they could tap into a source of knowledge and experience, the person buying a yak would have all the information they require as well as other benefits and the forums would get more members.
    Something you might want to look at Glenn, sending an e-mail to dealers telling them of the knowledge available on this forum and would they mind passing site details on to customers. Could also include details of other sites your connected with, don`t think they`d mind.