1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hugh's fish fight: the battle continues

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Lobbers, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

tonight channel4 9pm. watch and support :yes:

2. Lobbers

come on lads, hugh is doing his bit about disgaurded fish, thought someone might have a look.

3. bucko

bucko New Member

Just watched parts of it- todays TV chefs all seem to want to be a saint of sorts but this is a much more realistic goal than Jamie 'Fat Tongue' Oliver trying to wean America off fatty food. :canadian:

Can't fault HFW for his passion in highlighting the issue.

4. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

missed it as just logged on will watch on catch up,
    the guy is a true diamond,his motto if your going to eat it eat all of it is absolutely spot on

5. Acko

Acko Rockling

Amazing What a Boyo
    Its working Im So pleased... I Emailed 4 MPs and signed petitions etc
    Looks like the message is getting through.

6. Lobbers

he's not just highlighted th issue , its gone full eu parliment, and nearly a million people backing it, at the end of the day disgaurds are THE biggest problem our fisheries are doing,, and hugh is on it

7. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

At first glance, you could be forgiven for dismissing our Hugh as just another TV chef giving lip service to the importance of sound resource management. With his double-barrelled surname and to some, slightly nerdy appearance, he may only strike you as being an offbeat TV celebrity. However you want to describe him, one thing is very clear. This man has highlighted a major problem regarding preserving and managing our fish stocks (amongst other wildlife) which many people were already concerned about, and used the power of television and other media to spark a campaign to get something constructive to be done to try and improve things. I think that the campaign is sound and I hope that all the effort that he has put into it is rewarded. It would be a victory for common sense and a wake up call for MP's to do something constructive which will benefit future generations.

8. parushy

parushy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

spot on hugh for bringing this problem into the public domain,i am a newbie to sea fishing and would be over the moon if i could manage to hook into something like what they are forced to discard,the problem may not disapear if the skippers still discard their bi catch to target more profitable fish,not a problem easily solved.

9. bucko

bucko New Member

Thats what I mean by highlighting it Paul- making the public and politicians aware of it.
    Making it an issue real people can understand rather than letting it be lost in a sea of political terminology.

10. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

The cfp review was on the agenda long before Hugh got involved and the discards debate was topping that agenda. Hugh has brought it to the attention of the british housewife, but not a lot more. Interesting points now being made by the fishing industry who are no longer impressed.

11. Rapin

Rapin New Member

I have signed on his site for my support a while back, so it's nice to see the EU policy maker take it seriously. With a lot of people behind the campaign, MEPs have to be careful not to derail the discarding ban.

12. twd

twd Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have followed this for a while and think it is great that HFW has opened this can of worms that needed opening. The EU laws / rules regarding discard are archaic and need sorting out once and for all, along with Defra.

There is no point is throwing away good fish, that are all ready dead and Hugh simply has amplified this problem.....but amplified it more in parallel with the same said problem raised time and time again on the BBC program Trawlermen; both programs in the public's eye and in turn raising much needed public awareness when it comes to 'Discard'.

I spent a few years at sea on trawlers and only hope that this change in the EU will salvage what is left of our fishing industry & heritage :)

13. Acko

Acko Rockling

I am very pleased with what HFW Has done. We have been aware of these problems for years but generally The Public were totally in the dark about such Ludicrous Policies.
    I am glad HFW has used his Media Profile and his influence to Highlight these problems and Bring it to the attention of All. I think hes making good inroads where it counts and His Fish Fight is making a real difference.
    I personally support him and all he is doing.

14. Captainahab

Captainahab New Member

When HFW was in Tescos talking to their fishmonger, the guy showed him some Pouting fillets which he said were good sellers.
    Now ever since i've been fishing at Whitby, whenever an angler catches one, everyone on board say's to throw it back as they are shocking eating!
    Because of this i've never bothered to keep even a decent sized one. Anyone got any comments as to back up the fishmongers statement?.

15. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

I haven't caught one for years, but seem to remember it tasting nice

16. bait pump

bait pump New Member

They make brill fishcakes

17. suzuki999

suzuki999 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

if u saw how hughs mate was cooking macky fillets just dip in flour then egg then deep fry do the same for poutin fillets add lemon after its gorgeoues in a bread cake.

18. mystic girl

mystic girl Blenny

Nothing wrong with fresh pouting- Three things to remember
    Fillet it correctly
    Skin it
    Eat it fresh (Doesnt freeze well)

Regards John

19. Captainahab

Captainahab New Member

Thanks guys. Next time i catch a decent one on a 7/0 hook baited with half a mackerel or whole squid (as you do!), i'll keep it and try one of the suggested recipes.

20. Lobbers

howay glenn the bloke has done a lot , disgaurds are the main in my opinion