1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall Fishing Program - Hughs Big Fish Fight.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jan 5, 2011.

1. robq

robq Rockling

Its great that Hugh is getting the public behind him. If anyone can do it its him.

Its obvious that the current quota system is not working but by changing it would it stop the greedy bastards from high grading?

I seriously doubt it

2. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

Wrote to my MP this morning and this it the reply I have just received back - Give him his due though, we do live in the middle of the country and he has replied within about 6 hrs.
    But I don't hold out much hope of anything else from him after reading this:

I’m afraid that I did not see the programme and, to be honest, it is not an issue that I know enough about to give you a considered opinion at this stage. However, I will look into the matter and write to the fishing minister with your concerns and establish what action the Government is proposing to take. I will send to you the reply that I receive, and also my own views once I have had a chance to read up on the subject.

Many thanks again for bringing this matter to my attention.

Yours sincerely,

3. smokey

smokey Rockling

That's why the simpler option is to give them a fixed number of days at sea but they can land every size fish they get.
    A closed season on the spawning grounds would be a massive help as well,it's sheer lunacy that the boats working inside 12 mile are targeting roe laiden fish,this is where skippers do theirself no favours,if they gave a s.h.ite about the future they would have some kind of voluntary code amongst themselves,but all they want to do is hammer it.

4. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

I feel sorry for the under tens. The big boys c an winge all they want but the quotas for under 10s are pathetic.

5. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

I think the second mate on the seagul trawler has been to RADA :whistle:
    funny how fisherman go on about jobs lost etc but they all have a boat full of phillpinos :gum:

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

7. DB2009

DB2009 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Glenn

I think you are right
    There is another agenda running here.
    On the front of the Hull evening paper tonight " Plans for thousands of homes where trawlers docked"
    So nowhere to land the fish so throw them away at sea or let foreign fleets have them
    What do you think?

8. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

quote:That's why the simpler option is to give them a fixed number of days at sea but they can land every size fish they get.
    A closed season on the spawning grounds would be a massive help as well,it's sheer lunacy that the boats working inside 12 mile are targeting roe laiden fish,this is where skippers do theirself no favours,if they gave a s.h.ite about the future they would have some kind of voluntary code amongst themselves,but all they want to do is hammer it.

my sentiments exactly ,this is by far the most logical solution,fixed time at sea or season ,at least it gives the fish stocks a far better chance !!

9. nicho2k10

nicho2k10 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i think its a great thing hes doing here and so do 27,000 other ppl following him on facebook hopefully together well all be heard.

10. Baramundi Bob

2.3 million viewers last night apparently

11. Baramundi Bob

They do have lots of voluntary codes of practice. But if they cant abide by the law of the land, what hope of abiding by a voluntary code of practice. No such thing as morals where cash and profit are concerned.

12. Baramundi Bob

Just been watching tonights episode. The Maldives looks interesting. Using a rod and line only fishery. Proves you can take fish out with rod and line without damaging the future of a fishery.

Also worth thinking about when discussing a land all you catch policy. does that include all the undersize fish they catch too. I guess you would have to do away with MLS.

13. Baramundi Bob

14. Baramundi Bob

$hhhhhhiiittttt, its getting all exciting now. Pole fishing for Tuna.

15. Sea over the Shingle

Sea over the Shingle Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

If only catching cod was that easy!! :laugh: :laugh:

16. Baramundi Bob

17. Relm

Relm Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just a thought .... If they do impose a closed season on trawlers, whats the chance they will try impose it on recreational fishermen ??

18. cleeclive

cleeclive Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have been quick to criticise fishermen in the past and much of it was deserved, but whatever they do there needs to be some fairness:
    If a guy has £4000000 invested in a boat there are some prety clear earning requirements that are needed to pay back the investmen costs, running costs equipment maintenance and replacement and realistic wages for the crew. What I despise is the way fisheries management gives that no consideration and creates a situation where the boat owners can't pay ther way.

19. robq

robq Rockling

What has joining the EEC and giving up our fishing rights ever done for us ??

lets fuck them off and do what Iceland had the common sense to do in the late 60s early 70s :yes:

20. Baramundi Bob

Hi Clive. Would be interested in your thoughts mate. I firmly believe that whatever system is put in place, the commercial fishermen will try every way possible to exploit it, find loopholes, bend the rules. Am I being too cynical ? Is it possible to train greedy men to respect the marine environment.