1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall Fishing Program - Hughs Big Fish Fight.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Gee its alright for some, holidaying in South Africa. :happy: :happy: :wink:

2. zippie

zippie Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: FISH FIGHT!!!

so very very sad no wonder we struggle

3. michael76

michael76 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The BestEST

It can only be positive getting the message out there,was crying in my cuppa tho! so sad.what made me laugh was that fisheries fella didnt even know his fish,think my two year old could do better! anyway cod stocks are on the up(apparently)

4. markperky

markperky Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

SUPPORT THE FIGHT

When will our MP's listen to the people and do something good for our fishermen who put their lives on the line every day. To throw all that prime fish overboard is criminal and the people who made these laws should be brought to book and procecuted.
    Absolute W*nke*S
    SUPPORT THE BIG FISH FIGHT

5. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Seen it all before , :sad: i have signed the pettition,
    lets hope it opens there eyes :wounded:

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

Not having a clue about how it all works , but glen if they were giving no quota and were only allowed so many days at sea would the fish dumping still go due to bye catch say for instance when the skipper is only after say nice cod ? or would they have to keep everyuthing ?

7. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

They would have to land everything that would be size?

8. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

im half way through the prog at mo and it brought me to tears (i've been with jack and tom at the neo natal so im late watching), but it did really bring me to tears, all this quota s h i t
    needs to be sorted, it should be when the boat is full , like the french and spanish, everything netted is usefull, and goes home, seeing them big pollock and cod binned really upsets me, its a f o o k i n g travesty of justice

get on to hugh fernly whittingstals petition now , millions have watched his prog tonight , it might make a difference, some foooooker needs to sort it

9. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hope to hell they do put a stop to it & quick watching that was enough to sicken anyone when you see things like that it has to make you wonder what sort of sick B*****DS make the rules

10. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

just had my sweet n sour micywave supper and went back to the program, straight away i thought of something glenn said, about the trawler, "whats in it for them", well its foooookin obvious , they dont want to land evrery thing for the market, they just want to go back to landing the most expensive fish at the time , wich happens to be the cod, and OHHH YES the rest will be disgarded like they have done for years, thats why these twenty year old trawlers on the telly have those digard shoots, made well before all these so called fish wars...

ive said it before , we used to slate the french and spanish, hey maybe i might be wrong but ive seen footage of what they landed a good few years back, and i was disgusted at the sight of so many undersize fish, BUT, that was landed sold and put to very good use, as a bit of a gastranaught, i know, because i like cooking french and spanish fish dishes myself, and everything goes insmall or large , boulliabaise, spanish fish soup, catch of the day goes in a pot with tomatoes and herbs and rice, MINT.

EVERYTHING LANDED COULD BE SOLD ABROAD NO PROBLEM, THEY CANT GET ENOUGH!!!

the quota SHOULD BE fill your boat, and fooooooking sell wat you catch, FULL FOOOOKIN STOP!!

11. hutchy

hutchy Whitby Fishing Forum, Simply The Best

made me laugh when the fisheries minister didn't know which was the cod.
    it is sickening knowing who much is wasted, especially when hugh said the 22 baskets could feed over 2000 people with the meal he had just cooked.

12. Slim Jim

Slim Jim Blenny

Just one little thought. The boats we saw fishing last night were not fishing for cod but caught them as a by catch. If there was no quota but a days at sea limit, would that mean the trawlwers would target cod more in their limited time. Therefore would more cod get caught. Maybe area limits are needed as well.

13. hutchy

hutchy Whitby Fishing Forum, Simply The Best

agree with that. such as no trawling through the herring spawns for example.

14. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I think the program realy brought home through the actions of the EU ,the total and utter disregard to a fish we spend all our lifetimes searching for just to be tossed over the side dead ,even my missus was shocked and thats exactly what the program did,this has been going on for years unknown by most of the population but now hopefully people will get behind these guys to do something about it,will they listen though!! what realy pissed me off was the fact that the fishermen were "gutted" to be throwing the fish back dead but they were still running their nets through the "mixed fishing grounds" knowing full well they would be catching and killing these fish,i know they have to make a living but by what, desimating cod stocks even more through discard!! i sometimes felt guilty for taking a 3lb cod home knowing what state our fisheries are in ,it just goes to show whats happening to our fish,and they will only do something when its too late!! cod plentiful my arse!!!

15. ste muir

ste muir New Member

I remember an episode of trawler men were a prawn boat skipper shot his nets over a patch of ground and caught very few prawns but a net full of white fish.He had already got his fish quota so he dutifuly dumped the lot back.Then to my amazement trawled the same ground again with the the same out come????? :clown: The blame therefore doesnt just lie with the goons at the EU.

16. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Your right Ste. I'm all for highlighting the discards, but I am agfainst letting the commercials off the hook for something they played a large part in. As I said earlier in the topic, the only reason they are highlighting the problem now is bvecause the quota system is enforced. Go back 5 years and all that fish they are throwing away would have been across the fish quoy wall in the dead of night and sold on illegal markets making some men millionaires. Crimes against nature must never be forgotten and I still have no trust in the owners of todays trawlers regardless of what system the EU put in place. The only time you can trust a trawler skipper is when his boat is tied against the fish quoy.

Why has this problem only come to light today ? Why not 10 years ago ? why not 20 years ago ?

Some very Rich men drive flash cars and live in big houses, all with money they made illegally at the expense of Nature. They should be shot.

17. smokey

smokey Rockling

That pretty much sums it up Clive :happy:
    I think the programme was very well presented and if nothing gets done now it never will :happy:
    Some people may have found it hard to watch but i think they have done it right,the average man,including plenty on here,have no comprehension of what is going on out of sight :no:

It brings into the public eye what has been going on for 10 years or more,that was 1 trawler that was featured and in relative terms to a usual day they probably discarded less than most trips,the hauls weren't particularly big :surprise:
    Multiply the discards by maybe 250 boats and you start to get the bigger picture,the trouble is,these bigger boats are working anything from 30 miles to 200 miles offshore so only the skipper and crew see what's going on. :yes: tight lines

18. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

No Ste, the blame doesnt just lie with the EU goons ,it does lie with the skippers too as i said in my last post,as far as im concerned if they are willing to drag their nets to catch a few flatfish and other quota species knowingly that they are going to be dragging up more discard ie cod coalfish ect they are as much to blame, they say how gutted they are to be throwing the fish back but still shooting their nets immaterial of the bycatch,like i said earlier this is a very complex situation,i fully understand that fishermen have to earn their living but surely in a more non destructive way.The alaskan crab have a season in the barants sea which have a start and a finishing time maybe this would be the way forward and get rid of the quota system,what is caught in size is kept, hardly any discard and the fish would have a commercial close season,a time to spawn and reproduce when not been commercially hunted!!,i know this may infringe on the pleasure angler to some point but where is it going to end,when theres no cod left!!

19. steven watt

steven watt seafishing more

just say if there was a fleet of 10 boats only five cast there nets and what ever is going to be thrown over the side pass it onto the other five boats which has not cast there nets so everyone is happy........ and share the fuel bill

20. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Arthur potts dawson's show tonight as life on a trawler could be interesting.More lies and crocodile tears no doubt :cry: :whatever: