1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how too fish filey brigg

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by chiplips, Feb 15, 2008.

1. chiplips

chiplips Blenny

help needed ,iv liked too fish the brigg, what is the best time to fish it ,low or high water,what sort of rigs and tackle you need thanks for you help

2. Willy Nelson

Willy Nelson I hate fishing with the Slug.

Good question, first time I fished there I caught a 5 and a half pound pollack.Ever since I've been total crap. Beginners luck is everything.

3. chiplips

chiplips Blenny

i would like so help please thankyou

4. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

The Brigg can fish at any state of the tide and in most sea,s but the prefered time is over low water on a big tide with little or no movement. During these times you can follow the scars down as it ebbs. Crab, worm and white rag are usually the best baits but mussel can be effective too. Sometimes distance casting can make a big difference but keep an open mind. Grippers can be used but not essential but at times can help keep tackle losses down. The Brigg is a bit of an enigma when it comes to predicting the best fishing times/conditions. It,s very similar to Flamborough imo and is reliant on tide fish being in that area, unfortunately they can leave as quickly as they came. Please be carefull when fishing there especially when there,s a sea on, never take your eyes of it!

5. chiplips

chiplips Blenny

thanks for the information ,what rigs to use rotton bottoms?

6. smokey

smokey Rockling

Rotten bottoms are a must on the Brigg mate,pennel rigs can be effective with a 4/0 or a 6/0 main hook and a smallish pennel hook.If you stand at the top of green rock ladders and look 50 yards to your right at low water on a biggish you will see ling rock and Binks,which are scars,anywhere north of there(back towards Scarborough) is mixed to cleanish ground and tackle losses should be less.Anywhere south of there(towards the Brigg End )is either very heavy weed beds or rough rocky ground,which means heavy tackle losses.The Brigg is a tidal mark,especially on the end where you are fishing for tide fish and not resident native weed fish,which like Ray said,can make it very unpredicable.Big casting is a huge advantage on most marks,and a 6oz sinker with fresh peeler in the summer will produce good bags,mainlines can be anything from 20lb on the clean ground to 35lb in the heavy stuff but always keep your eye on the sea,i've seen big rollers come out of nowhere on flat summers days,the bigger low water tides tend to produce the better bags but if you choose to fish anywhere near the brigg end,you need to be aware of cut off points as if you leave it too late on a biggish flooding tide,there aint many places to hide.

7. chiplips

chiplips Blenny

cheers for that,ill just fish it when i see someone esle on then

8. cod rod kev

cod rod kev New Member

as smokey said if your venturing to the brigg end theres a pipe u cross on biggish tides to reach the end , that pipe is where it cuts u off on the flood if I'm not mistaken ! its a dangerous venue if your new to brigg , it bein very deep water , best fish it daylight to get your bearings mate

9. chiplips

chiplips Blenny

cheers

10. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

i,ve been fishing it 30 years and still can't work it out :sad:my tactics for cod are ,may ,june july,flat calm big tides working your way down the scars,this is a brillant time of year.if there is any lift on ,as its been already said,don't eventhink of goin down on the ledges,but fishin over high water in winterfrom the cliffs can be brillant with a dying northerly seaover high water.what ever you do don't go and camp out in the same spot all day ,move about :wink:there needs to be some thing to attract the cod in winter , ie colour or tide ,even better both. trouble is brigg does'nt colour up as easy as some venues further north,so can be very hit and miss in winter,i live in filey and will be luckyif i go on brigg half a dozen times in winter :surprise:

11. chiplips

chiplips Blenny

12. GJW

GJW Rockling

Seem's you have been given some good information there chiplips... :yes: :yes: :happy:

13. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Yeah top advice from top anglers, not just for chippers but for all :happy:

14. Dav

Dav Rockling

Summertime on the brigg is marvelous.........

15. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

behave dav, your getting me excited now,may and june and a box full of peeler,sun setting over scarborough castle ,the perfect evening. just like this....
    [​IMG]

16. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Did you take that after you fell in Bill? :confused: :confused: :confused:

17. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

18. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

no you daft bugger (which time) ,i'm stud down on gully wash. it's an old photo taken with an instamatic ,hence the quality but it's still a favourite :wink:thats frankie stud on binks in the sun

19. chiplips

chiplips Blenny

:surprise:

20. smokey

smokey Rockling

Good old Funtime Franky :laugh: