1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Haka007

Haka007 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Better Than All The Rest!

Does anyone have any tips or best/easy way to replace or add shrink wrap to a rod?
    Tbh it looks easy enough but I will probably find some way of messing it up.
    Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk 2

2. scaleback

scaleback Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

just slip the shrink wrap over ur butt and warm it up with a hair drier done it this way a number of times worked every time for me good luck

3. steven watt

steven watt seafishing more

i changed mine yesterday, used the hair dryer, i paid £10 for 1.6m in black if u need the link let me no ill pass it over

4. Haka007

I have seen some wrap on ebay for about a tenner. Il just get the measurement when I get back home. Do I need to glue any part of the wrap?
    Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk 2

5. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

like scaleback say's hairdryer,start at the top of your rod working dwn the butt when u get that little bit xtra at the bttm of you butt,just chop off exess with a stanley knife,refitt butt cap,jobdone ;)

6. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

I normally boil a kettle and pour the water over the fitted shrink wrap. Works instantly

7. steven watt

steven watt seafishing more

good tip supersonic, i spend 20 min of my time and running the hair dryer yesterday

8. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Boiling water takes 5 mins to do 8)

9. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hot air paint stripper works fine as well. Work top to bottom,that way it forces all the trapped air inside down the blank, leave about a half inch shrinktube overlap at the bottom, when you get to the bottom, fold the excess inside the blank and push the rubber butt cap over, forms a watertight seal and stops the rubber butt cap pushing the shrink back up the handle.

Roger

10. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

Paint stripper works best for me - I use it a lot for putting shrink tube on the wading staffs I make.

If you have any shrink tube left over, put it over a length of stick or broken broom handle - it makes a great "breakout" stick for use with braid line. Keep it in your pocket and if you get snagged, wrap the braid round the sticks a few times and pull - the braid digs in to the plastic shrink tube rather than spinning round as it does on bare wood.

I put a strip of lead sheet round one end, the whole thing covered with shrink tube - makes a "breakout priest" for boat fishing ;)

11. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Elecrtic paint stripper ;-)

cod help me !

12. Haka007

Alright guys, so the shrink wrap has arrived. Am I right in assuming I have to remove the smooth rubber grip from the rod ? Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

13. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Its entireley up to you mate.... I always take my rods down to the bone so to speak, after preparing the blank (sanding to remove any high build and varnish ) I then use Bonda Seal for a really tough gloss to the blank,replace the rings,and, any fancy whipping,, high build, and only after all that is done and the rod left to harden off for a couple of weeks, I replace the shrinktube....sounds funny, but before I put the shrink on the blank, I spray the blank butt where the shrink is going with womens Hair Spray, as I heat the shrink, it gives just enough tackiness to stop and twisting of the shrink after it has reduced to the blank size... it is not really neccessary at all with the rubber crossweave shrink, the older plain plastic used to slip a bit sometimes.

I then put any whipping I fancy around the top of the shrinktube, for a nice edge, and give it a couple of coats of high build. Serves two purposes, looks good and stops any water getting under the shrink.

Job Done.

Roger

14. Haka007

Removed rubber sleave put on wrap n used hairdryer working from top to bottom it worked a treat thanks for all the advice

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk