1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to fix a broken Zonk Gataride (long post warning!!!)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by biscuitlad, Aug 24, 2010.

1. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Maybe this has a very limited audience, but I thought I'd post it. You never know, it might come in useful to someone somewhere.

For those of us who have forked out their hard earned cash on a Zonk Gataride, you will know the feeling of doom when they get a snag, or after a few fish you find the hinged diving vane in the wrong position or even already broken off. You can try the adjustments suggested by Graham Hill in his video, and discussed on this forum elsewhere. But at some point, the bib / diving vane is likely to break. Your Zonk Gataride will look like this:

[​IMG]

Even if you were lucky (as I was, the bib broke off in my hand as I lifted a fish on the end of the plug into my kayak) and found the bib, trying to fix it so that it still hinges and behaves just as it did is pretty much impossible.

But that doesn't mean your £20 plug is destined for the bin. Standard Zonks don't have a hinged bib, instead they have a more traditional fixed one made out of some fancy carbon fibre (or so they claim).

And if you look closely, you can see the angle that this standard bib would lie as presumably the moulds for both bibs are just adapted slightly. There's a diagonal lip which looks like if it was a slot, would take a solid diving vane. Therefore we can cut one out of plastic:

[​IMG]

If you have your old vane, you can use that as a template for size and shape. Now, where did I find something perfect for making a diving vane from?

[​IMG]

With a bit of care and a hacksaw, you can cut a groove following the diagonal lip I mentioned earlier.

[​IMG]

With a bit of sandpaper, you can shape the vane to get it something like the one you had. Keep trying it for size and shape.

[​IMG]

You might need to thin it ever so slightly to get in the slot you cut. I'd be a bit careful with this stage. Don't cut your slot too deep, and don't apply too much pressure to get it to fit. We know how fragile that bib is!

[​IMG]

So now your ready to get your araldite out and glue it. I roughened up the surface of the vane to give it a good key. Leave it 24 hours, and with any luck bob's your uncle, here's the finished article:

[​IMG]

Check it's flat and your slot wasn't skewiff.

[​IMG]

And now all you got to do is test it. I think if you've found it's not quite right, you should be able to bend and set the angle a bit using steam out of the kettle to soften the vane.

And don't forget to put that CD holder back in its case. With any luck, it won't be discovered until you're out of the house. :tease:

[​IMG]

Hope no one else throws their Zonk Gatarides away when the bibs break. You can convert them into a standard Zonk pretty easily in an hour or so.

Now will someone tell me how I can replace those rubbish hooks on them? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

2. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Very good Kester, Glassback also is a dab hand at repairing them, I currently have 2 Zonks that are useless with broken bibs, I'm going to try and repair them but I must say my confidence in them being up to the job for any period of time is nil, I am leaning more towards the IMA lures with built in bibs

3. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Cracking post.

4. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Nice one biscuit. The hooks are rubbish as you say, it's the only plug I,ve used where I,ve had to bend them back into shape. The finish on them is crap too, so overall you would say they're a crap plug, but try telling the bass that!

5. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

It's really easy Iain, honest. You can cut out a new plastic vane using a pair of scissors, the colour isn't ideal but I don't think bass are fussy. All you need is a hacksaw and a bit of sandpaper, and some proper araldite (the stuff that takes ages to set). I found a junior hacksaw blade too thin so moved up to a normal size one, but I guess you can easily sand down the vane to fit whatever size slot you cut. I sanded the front edge too to make it thinner, as that's what the original vanes look like.

Honestly, it's not difficult and you've got nothing to lose - what use are they sitting broken in your tackle box?! Once converted they become like a standard Zonk, so they do swim a bit deeper, but from a yak that's no problem. The action seems the same as far as I can tell.

Ray - totally agree mate, I probably wouldn't bother with any other plug. But when the fish are about, I seem to out fish my mate fishing with a maria chase by a ratio of about 3 to 1.

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

7. glassback

glassback Blenny

graham hill is getting some new pins and lips sent over so yu can mend them like the origanals.i mended mine a bit back and the action is still very good.ive tried the fixed lip ones and there isnt much diferent apart from going slightly deeper

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

Very good post Biscuit . im sure it will come in useful to all the zonk owners at some point . The thing is I just think its shocking how such an expensive plug can get trashed so easily . I dont own a zonk and to be honest i dont think i will ever own one knowing it wont last 2 mins , One thing i do wonder is ,
    what exaclty is the idea of the hinged vane .? is it to get the plug to run at different depths ? Does it run deeper when the plug is retieved slowly and shallower the faster it is retrieved ? or vice versa or is it to give the plig more action ?
    Also going by what ray said about the finish perishing , why dont these manufacturers take steps to preserve the finish of there expensive plugs by doing what rapala do with the x raps and the likes have the bling ness inside the plastic itself ? Its the same as the maria ranges after a few outings the trebbles wreck the finish on them , altho i know alot of people say its the action that is the key to the plug but personally i defo think the bling helps ....

9. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Hiya Dave, not sure the quality of the finish makes much difference when the plug is flashing along at several meters a second. I've continued to catch long after a pretty finish has been practically removed. The finish on Rapalas is fantastic, but there isn't much difference between a max rap and a zonk in terms of their price.

To my mind, the hinged bib does nothing. It's supposed to make the plug more aerodynamic as it straightens during the cast. Doesn't do anything in terms of changing the depth it swims at. Gatarides swim fairly shallow anyhow.

As for the cost, yes they are dear. No, they are not robust. Shit hooks, etc. But do they catch fish? Unfortunately yes!

10. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Could you have fixed one that had broken like mine? Could you give us some details, did Graham charge you much for the new pins and lip?

11. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Well had a go at repairing someone's zonks for them and here is the out come.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That's the first one.

[​IMG]

Second one

[​IMG]

Hope I got them right cos If he blanks he will be saying Its my fault.

12. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Don't look too bad them John, given you didn't have an old vane to work from. You'll probably find they work just fine. Anyhow like I said, better than sitting not being used at all in a tackle box. :)

13. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

not mine, bass master's, so not mine to waste :yes: i have cheap lures not post ones. had my go at bass this year it was ok but i will give it a go next year.

14. glassback

glassback Blenny

hi biscuitlad as long as the lip broke leaving the bottom half in tacked were the pin goes it would mend with a new pin and lip ,he hasent got a price yet for the parts .i will let u no when i find out .they still work well enough when made into a fixed version any way. it might not be cost effective to keep replacing lips every session any way .

15. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Heh, heh, that's a bit of a harsh comment on the Gataride's quality. Thought that might be the case - wouldn't haven't worked with mine.

I just wonder if we couldn't fettle up a shallow running version of the solid lip type ourselves? I know it's easy to follow the lip groove that's already there for the standard zonk, but maybe we could still use that but bend the lip near the tip so it's more like a Gataride lip?

We can afford to experiment after all, Iain has a good stock of broken Gatarides!

16. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

As an update on this, and as Ducky's been touting for work, I thought I'd best mention that the araldite I used did go soft eventually and the vane came out. I now cut two little nicks in the vane and the plastic mount, and whip them on with braid. You can't pull the vanes out now with a pair of pliers - they're good forever. :)