1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Fish Jelly Worms ???

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Well I went and purchased some jelly worms and jelly sandeals from Whitby angling supplies with an aim of doing some spinning for Pollock when the water clears out a bit. The thing is now I've got them I haven't a clue what to do with them as there are no hooks or weights attached ?? Can someone please advise on how best to set up the jelly worms for use with my 9 foot spinning rod.

Cheers - Glenn

[​IMG]

Jelly worms were 10p each from Whitby angling supplies

2. rusty1

rusty1 New Member

I fish something similar to a flying collar.

Mainline to a 3way swivel, on the bottom link I attach a split ring and then the 2/3oz weight on that. Then from the middle eye on the 3way i have 4/5foot of 15lb flouro to a size 2/0 viking and thread the worm onto this. Can also attach a weak link to the lead if need be. Usually fish this with a fixed spool and 20/25lb braid.

3. Dav

Dav Rockling

Basically the same as rusty said exept i clip the weight on the middle eye of the swivel and a slight variation on the hook ...cheers

4. Baramundi Bob

Cheers lads.

What sort of a weight ?? would a barrel or ball fished in line be any good ??

When you say 2/3 oz do you mean two thirds of an ounce ??

Do you have much success locally ??

5. Dav

Dav Rockling

Or drilled bullet up the line stopped by a bead and a swivel,,,

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

oz glen , even go to 5oz the heavier the further and deeper you will fish .....Dont you watch fishing on the edge ... ;D ;D

7. Baramundi Bob

My spinning rod is only for 50 grams ???

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

Sorry glen i got abit confused mate....i think me and rusty thought you were gona use ure beach caster ..... in that case just reduce the weight to about 1.5 to 2 oz max , but if i were you and were planning on fishing sumwere like the brigg , with deep water and anywere with a good flow i would use ure beach caster ,,but i guess a light spinning rod would be handy sumwere maybe not man enough for the brigg and places with a big lift ,,due to lightness of ure line ....hope this helps..

9. rusty1

rusty1 New Member

2 to 3oz i usually use from my spinning rod. Saying that last year up at the Mull I got well and truely mullered by something big a few times so ill probably switch upto a 2/4oz bass rod this year for a bit more power. I usually just use whatever cheap round weights i can get.

Only ever tried once or twice round these parts and that was down ravenscar but I dont think the water was anywhere near clear enough, plenty of likely looking places tho. East pier would seem a good start, theres a few decent fish come off there and if the bigger fish are there there is likely to be some more about.

I also fancy trying cowbar, cant see there not being a few pollock around there with the state of the ground.

From what Ive heard theyre good first/last light fished with a bubble float aswell. Apparently at first/last light the pollock come further up in the water to feed, also a good chance of a bass.

Also the same technique spinning a ragworm really slowly is meant to account for some of the larger pollock. Cant really comment on this as when we tried this all we managed was ruddy mackeral. Also same thing can be down with sandeels

10. Phil A

Phil A New Member

Below are the leadheads I use with jelly worms. They weigh up to 1 1/2 oz. The bullet shaped ones are screwed into the jelly worm, the line passes through the middle of the lead into the hook.

[​IMG]

You can see the leadhead/jelly worm in this picture.

[​IMG]

11. Baramundi Bob

Where do you get them from Phil and at what sort of price ? also what rod are you using for this ?

Cheers - Glenn

12. dbrown

dbrown Guest

This spinning fishing looks quite good. What would it be like at thornwick bay of filey brigg? Thanks

Dan

13. Phil A

Phil A New Member

Glenn,

The guy who got me my first jelly worms, way before they became popular in this country, lives in the States. The round leadheads are from Cabella's and he brought them across for me. The flatter leadheads were given to me by a friend who got a mould sent across from the States. As I've not run out of them yet I've not been looking for any more but the mould option looks good to me. I don't think the Cabella's ones would be very expensive to buy there but with postage they may end up being expensive. You can by jelly worms by the bucket from Cabella's and they do work out cheap. I'll dig around and see what I can find out.

Phil

14. Phil A

Phil A New Member

Sorry glenn I didn't answer your question about the rod. It is a 9ft samon spinning rod which casts up to about 60grm. 9ft is the maximum I can cast with one hand I have a 11ft rod which has to be cast two handed but tend not to use it. The reel is a shimano from the States it has a trigger which lifts the bail arm and traps the line against your finger at the same time.

I found this place for jig moulds but the are not cheap. I can't find any in the States which I would suspect would be cheaper even with the postage.

http://www.fishingweightmolds.com

15. Baramundi Bob

Cheers Phil.

Im gonna give Bill Costin a try see what he has. ;D

16. Acko

Acko Rockling

I found this device on the beach the other day I guess its designed for "launching" Jelly worms?
    My mate told me its a "Leadhead" Ive never seen one before.
    Who sells them I might get some?
    [​IMG]

17. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Is the Brigg good for spinning? and how much would an average spinning rod and reel cost? Thanks

Dan

18. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

[​IMG] Bill Costin does this shape which are pretty aerodynamic. The one shown is 5 or 6oz but he does 1oz upwards.

19. robq

robq Rockling

I like the look of those, dont suppose you know the prices for the 3 and 4 oz Ray ?

20. Baramundi Bob

Cheers Ray,

Might get in tomorrow for 10 mins after work I'll see about prices.