1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Acess High Cliff At Sandsend ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bow1, Oct 18, 2014.

1. bow1

bow1 Rockling

Winter Cod Fishing At Sandsend Cliffs

We had couple pretty friutleess sessions at sandsend last week trying to find marks .could see high c liff but couldn't find access in dark,can anyone help?

fished just to right of rabbits,is this the ledge??

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: high cliff access

Why are you looking for new marks in the dark, thats extremely dangerous, especially on a cliff you dont know.

High cliff is simple to find its about 5 seconds off the main track, but one wrong move in the dark and you will hit the scar below you faster than those 5 seconds.

3. nic1970

nic1970 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

please take care if your wandering around on them cliffs, even when you've been before you can still get lost , have good footwear as suddenly you may find yourself next to the edge ,you can fish of any ledge but lifting a decent fish up such a height takes a bit of cool and a bit of luck and if you haven't hooked it well you can lose it when lifting as there isn't many places where you get a straight lift as the weight of the fish when lifting will make it swing and maybe snag on the cliff face on the lift, if you are going to give the cliffs a try why not go for a recce during daylight, but more than that "make sure you have good footwear and a good headlight" as its a long way down if you fall.

4. bow1

bow1 Rockling

maybe my wording was wrong.
    we didn't t leave the path but were interested in finding where you did for the future.
    could see where we wanted to be but not where to leave the path for future sessions.
    agree a daytime recce is needed but thought someone could help out re where you leave the path.
    were not cliff novices and have the requirex gear.

5. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Just to the right of the Rabbit Holes is the Shotstones , you fish them at the bottom of the slope [ I haven't been down for many years ] just to the right of Dhoystones is High Cliff

6. Baramundi Bob

Walking from Sandsend along the track its about 100-200 yards this side of the rabbits. Theres a Bush on your right just before you come to a very small fence. The access is by the side of that Bush. If you reach that small fence on your right you have gone too far.

The Place Allan is talking about you need to go down the cliff and the access is a lot closer to Sandsend on the track.

7. Mladds

Mladds Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

That's how I find it Glenn, as soon as you've walked down the dip and back up along the footpath look to the right for that little fence and in front is the path down and back on yourself. Or look for the already 3 or more headlamps lighting up the sea ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. bow1

bow1 Rockling

cheers that helps.I know where you mean.
    fished a.mark beteeen shotstones and rabbits.is this the ledge?
    also does the fence where the bench is fish at all?
    thanks lads

9. Baramundi Bob

Most probably, although without actually seeing where you were I cant say.

10. Jimthefloat

Jimthefloat Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Does anybody still fish at the Top of the World (to the right of Bernie's Ledge).
    I used to fish there in the 80's-90's on club nights, when there was only a small bit of sea running.
    Used to catch in those conditions.

11. Baramundi Bob

Yes Jim They do. Always seems best on a big ebbing tide when its calm.