1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General How Practical Are Life Jackets For Rock Anglers ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Glenn Kilpatrick, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

Life Jackets For Rock Angling ?? Yes Or No ??

Its a hot topic of conversation at the moment and after writing my recent article on the ever present danger in Rock Angling its something Ive been thinking about a lot.

I know we have to take safety very seriously, but I cant help but think Life Jackets are totally impractical for rock anglers.

What are other peoples thoughts, do you ever see a day when all Rock Anglers wear lifejackets ?? At present I dont recall ever seeing an angler on the rocks in a lifejacket ??

2. the-yak-man

the-yak-man Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I myself could never see it happening Glenn ! yes in a ideal world it sounds good but in reality no . Don't get me wrong my job sometimes dictates i wear the small compact self inflating life jackets but i would never use one for fishing . People know 99% of the incidents are related to trips slips and falls ! but personally a good method for getting help once in dificulty seems more practical . I myself always carry my small handheld waterproof ship to shore radio whilst fishing some of the more remote locations .

This could be called overkill to some but to me it is not ? just as wearing a life jacket might be perfect for some rock fishermen it is overkill for me .

• Like Like x 1
  3. kevthefish

kevthefish Cider Man from Somerset

• Like Like x 1
  4. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

5. bow1

bow1 Rockling

I considered trying one but never got round to it!!!
    Think they may restrict mobility a bit and it's one more thing to take off when nature calls!!!!!!it's enough of pain taking smock off.
    Also would.they not inflate if got a good soaking by a wave.....
    Very interested in people's experiences....

6. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

automatic inflated ones will as my mate discovered when he

bent down to hitch boat trailer to tractor & wave just "washed"

onto his life jacket. I use a manual one .

only use it for launching & landing from beach if too much on.

not too uncomfortable in fishing in boat.

if fishing on marks you need it, travelling light , you could cast etc

its down to how the individual manages.

easy way to test is to have a spare co2 bottle (to suit jacket)

and try in local swimming baths-- warmer & you will see how

effective it is, spare bottles range from 8£ cheap test

7. kevthefish

kevthefish Cider Man from Somerset

Have not tried it yet but will but will report back when I do. I was also assured rain will not trigger it - just immersion in sea water.

• Like Like x 1
  8. the-yak-man

the-yak-man Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

You are quite correct about rain etc not setting them off ? any auto life jacket has to actually be submerged in water that is how the small safety valve knows the difference between a short sharp dip and a bath LOL

• Like Like x 1