1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Much For A Fishing Kayak Set Up

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Zebedee, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Zebedee

Zebedee New Member

I have been reading this site for quite a few weeks now and have become really interested in the kayak fishing side of things. Some of the catches made have been great, non more so than the big cod by member Sambo. Looking at your kayak section It seems that to get afloat with a decent kayak will cost me around £600 for one by ocean. But I am wondering how much in total I will need to spend to be able to fishing in safety and comfort. Could one of you folk give me a rundown of what I am likely to need and how much each item will cost. Also where is the best place to but my equipment from, and what kayak would be considered best ? I like the look of the prowler 13 listed in your review section but kaskazi kayaks look the part too although I cant find anything on the price and where to get one from. Which is considered the best ?

2. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Hi Zebedee, we,ve estimated at £1000 for a kayak, seat, paddle, pfd, flares or smokers, compass, rod, reel and basic clothing (breathable/neoprene waders) To be honest we,ve all ended up doubling that :embarrass: but through choice and not neccesity. It,s really down to the individual as to how far you go. There,s other items such as dry bags, lanyards, anchor trolly, roofrack etc. If you buy a fishfinder you will need a battery and charger to go with it. The rods and reels you buy will depend on what type of fish you wish to target, ie bass/cod. Most of these items can be bought over a period of time and are not too esential with the exception of saftey gear and one of Newdaves drouges :cheesy: My advice would be to budget £1000 just to get you going and if you like it lose your pay packet at least once a month :whistle:

3. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Got to agree with you there Ray, I asked a similar question and the £600 budget seemed the common figure...I ve as you say spent closer to £2000 up to now.

In answer to the first question though here is the list with rough prices for the kit I bought Zeb.

OK Prowler 13.
    Carlisle paddle
    Paddle leash
    Yak PFD
    C-tug trolley
    Gul dry suit
    Kayak boots
    mobile phone waterproof pouch
    roof bar pads
    roof straps
    All the above for just under £800.00

Then I added
    2 x dry bags approx £20.00
    Lowrance fishfinder/gps combo £204.00
    Battery for above £10.00
    Charger for battery £5.00
    Flares kit £14.00 (2 flares)
    VHF Icom radio £160.00
    deluxe seat £40.00
    2 x anchors
    Anchor line reel £6.00 (divers surface marker bouy reel off ebay)
    crate £2.00
    anchor trolley items £25.00 (for both sides)
    Waterproof camera £135.00
    extra leashes for rods etc (stops you losing them if you get off the yak unexpectedly !)
    2 x rods both around £50.00 each
    okuma reels £59.00 each
    Then a cart load of hokais and home made pirks.
    Oh yes and two rod holders just fitted. £14.99 for two (from ebay)

Think that is about it......up to now...lol :happy:

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Ive never added it up but I will do now. I primarily got afloat with no thrills thanks to Gary at Tri Star angling. I got the prowler 13, ctug, pfd, and paddle from gary then I got a dry cag from robin hoods watersport - total cost of that would be roughly £700 although you can get a lot cheaper dry cags. I already had some waders and a rather kind forum member gave me a divers belt (Still had all the weights on - not sure why :cheesy:) and that was all I needed to get afloat. I already had rods and reels so in total I got going for about £700.

Since then Ive added a garmin fishfinder @ £65, A vhf at £100, a newdave super drogue - roughly £25 and a anchor trolley system at around £25. These things in the second list arent essential but do/will make life a lot better.

I think its been worth every penny and its made me enthusiastic about fishing again. I seemed to have lost my passion for winter cod fishing, or at least Im not as motivated for it as I once was but the kayaking feels like I did when I caught my first cod in Creta block many years ago.

As for kaskazi kayaks youll have to ask newdave or quint. :happy: :happy:

5. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Welcome to the forum Zebedee :happy:

As mentioned above you can get on the water safely for about £1000 if buying something like a Prowler 13. Some things such as fishfinders aren't essential, I haven't used one for the last few months so money can be saved if working on a tighter budget. As long as you have the safety gear then everything else can be added as you go along.

I already had a fishfinder and the tackle but it's cost me about £1000 to get on the water. The Prowler 13 as done me proud though, I do love going out on the kayak and even if you don't catch anything it's a nice way to pass the time :yes:

6. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Welcome Zededee, I think it's all been covered above, you can spend as little or as much as you want really, the p13's are a great kayak

7. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

:embarrass: :embarrass: I do like to keep myself busy quint :wink: