1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how much braid?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bow1, Nov 19, 2013.

1. bow1

bow1 Rockling

....do you lads put on your fixed spools??
    im expecting 300yds braid from china and was gonna bang the lot on.
    however it only takes 300yds 0.18 mm.my braid is 0.4mm so will onlt take bout 160.
    is this enough for local rock and cliff marks or do i use the mono spool and put the lit on?

Sent from my GT-S5how much do you put 830i using Tapatalk 2

2. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

ive only got about 200 yards on mine, on a mono spool with some mono backing. Plenty enough for me

3. RU5TY1

RU5TY1 Glory Glory man united

i use the mono spools on both my fixed spools , you want them full of braid to make them cast better but they don't need to be as full as when using mono , better slightly shallow then over full if too full you will start getting wind knots , hope this helps

4. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Probably enough unless you're a mega caster,might be a bit close off the cliff's like.

5. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i would be more concerned about the size of the fixed spool reel you are thinking of using from the rocks ,
    by the sound of it it will be too small for even using on the beaches,
    300 mtrs of 0.18 what you say the spool holds is a tiny amount of line even for a coarse fishing reel ,an avereage sea fixed spool should hold that in 0.35 which is the standard 15bs mono.
    either you have got it wrong or you need to think again about using that reel.

frank.

6. bow1

bow1 Rockling

frank its a brand new penn surfblaster8000 and i just checked its 300m 0.18 mm braid.

the braid im expecting is 0.4 and is 60lb,that v roughly equates to 300m of 30lb braid.more tan enough for clean beaches.

im concerned over capacity of 60lb braid for cliffs ie sandsend kettieness,cowbar etc at about 160 m of the 60lb

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

7. frank avey

8000 size is fine just confused about the line capacity ,just been out to the shed and pulled a 2000 size fixed spool and it shows on spool 180 mtrs of 0.30mm and its a tiny reel compared to yours.
    just had a look online and its supplied with two spools one for braid one for mono, just put a bit of mono onto the mono spool and top off with the 0.40 braid and it will be fine ,
    the braid spool with the 300 mtr of 0.17 capacity use it on the beaches as you would only get less than 130 mtrs or so in 0.40mm on that spool,
    0.40 equates to around 20lb mono so the capacity seems way too small for general sea fishing ,i know my shimanos hold a lot more .

frank.

8. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

What I would do Sean is if you intend using a mono leader tie around 27 foot of leader line onto the end of the spool of braid , go onto
    a field tie a sinker to the end of the leader line , walk it off then pace around half of your braid off , then tie a backing mono line onto
    the braid you have cut at around 150 MTRS , now tie the mono leader onto the empty F/S spool , wind the leader / braid / backing line
    under pressure to fill the spool , now fix a sinker to the backing line and walk it off , now wind the whole thing back onto the reel making
    sure the line level is just below the spool lip

9. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Sorry Cliff, lost me there somewhere, are you saying basically that you only use about 150 mtrs of braid on your reel, with suitable mono backing, and leader, braid and leader obviously wound on to a level just below spool lip?

Roger.

P.s, how do you feel about joining 2 lengths of same strength braid with a back to back grinner or similar ?

Roger

10. bow1

bow1 Rockling

good advice as usual Alan but do you think 150m braid plus leader is enough for cliffs round here?

11. robq

robq Rockling

Some of the braid spools are very shallow. Especially the affinity and surfblaster. My shimano 6000 ultegra spools are no good for rock fishing braid.

I usually just put the full 300m on my 10000 spools on my ultegras or battles with enough backing so they nicely full to the lip

12. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Theres no way I would get past the braid level Sean from Cowbar Cliffs , there might be somebody out there who possibly could , for me
    the sinker flies then is just dropping , I suppose the worst case scenario is that you end up on the backing line and very badly stuck
    but then again its never happened to me on my local cliffs , the way I mentioned you get 2 fills per spool , I sometimes rotate the braid
    once more you can fill your reel knowing it will be spot on for the level you require , BUT it might be just me with my funny ideas , it might be old age setting in LOL

13. frank avey

You need to realise that putting half [150 mtrs] of a spool on your reel that you are leaving no room for loosing any due to getting snagged or it giving way after abrading on rocks which it does a lot worse than mono does,
    i,m with rob bang the lot on ,at £7.00 a spool is it worth being out with a reel that is no good to fish with after a couple of breakages as there is not enough line left on it ,
    a good cast and you wouldnt have much left on the reel out of a 150mtrs.
    each to their own mate but i like to stick the lot on.

frank.

14. robq

robq Rockling

Problem we have down here Alan is bemmo !

With a good cast you can be not far off the backing :eek: and if you lose a bit then you are stuck :p

200 m is probably fine for flambro though but I just put 300 on all my spools now :) If I ever lose 50 yards or so I just add a bit a bit of backing and like you reverse it :)

15. bow1

bow1 Rockling

think ill go with full spool.on.however i.lke the idea of having a spool full of mono.i aint used braid much and am not yet converted,so im gonna order another deep spook i think,one with braid one with mono!!!!

16. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

My mate put loads of braid on his 8000 Penn and when we went fishing loads came off the spool causing knots. We took off quite a lot and its ok now.
    I bought a cheap Jarvis Walker reel 650 to use with a cheap Saltist 15ft rod. Used with 60lb braid and nylon backing. Was casting canny way from pier. Reel not a braid spool-but still works ok.
    Mick.

17. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Right now I have around 170 yards of braid backed up by mono underneath it was taken off a 1000 yard spool , I take the point about
    Bemmo tops , but back to Cowbar Cliffs I guess they are around 120 FT , not to snaggy underfoot and its along time since I have lost
    line when fishing from there , at times I think people get carried away about how far they are casting on a cold winters night , dressed up like Michelin man and maybe not to good underfoot and maybe a bit of a headwind I think 100 YDS would be difficult for quite a few
    anglers I would be in that club , but everyone to his own