1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how many marks ? how far do you travel ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by robq, Oct 12, 2013.

1. robq

robq Rockling

How Many marks do the good anglers on here fish on a regular basis ?

Is it better to keep to 5 or 6 marks and learn them inside out on different tides and conditions, at different times of the year ?

OR spread yourself a bit thinner and fish more marks ? Maybe capitalizing on seasonal trends ??

I remember reading a good sea angler article by frankie colling maybe 8 years ago where he stated that he rarely travelled far to fish and learned to fish the brigg in a variety of conditions. Transport was not as easy as today so anglers were forced to do what he did ! An annual trip to hayburn was foreign territory to him as I remember ;D but he was and still is a very successful angler !

Is there still any value in that ethos today even with reduced fish numbers ? Or have we all become fish
    chasing gypsies in the age of 2 cars per household :)

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

The best anglers I know, seem to do both. They know lots of marks and they know them well. But even then they focus on one area. Dennis Thompson always comes to mind for me. Focuses a lot on Sandsend. But When the going gets tough he seems to know just where and when to be on a certain mark.

One season things went quiet for a lot of lads up here, but Dennis was till banging them out. Getting some cracking bags out of little tunnel. How did he know it was going to produce. God knows, but he did, and I know of about a dozen other marks he fluctuates around when he needs to.

3. robq

robq Rockling

Do you think anglers like dennis are just very well connected to a very tight and good grapevine Glenn ? Or do they have just have a " feel " for things :-\ some anglers just seem to be luckier than others dont they ? ;)

I know a large portion is down to just pure graft and experience, but some anglers still seem to have x factor ( no pun intended on sat night lo ;Dl )

4. mattie1

mattie1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Up north we hop about ,iv fished for over 30 years and have a good knowledge of the ground from arbroath to aberdeen ,certainly not all the marks ,through the years you learn what marks fish during what conditions ,one thing I always look at is swell direction not wind direction eg on shore you can have a se wind but a north swell being pushed by an outside wind and this makes a big difference to which mark I would fish just something to bear in mind cheers

sent from a rock somewhere near the sea

5. robq

robq Rockling

If you lads were restricted to a stretch of coastline of no more than 3 miles to fish all year round no matter what conditions where wouuld it be ?

Mind would be flambro head end to birdash :)

6. CAB78

CAB78 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I think most people will naturally learn their local marks first as part of their introduction into fishing, possibly expanding for a change of scenery or to follow the catch reports etc.

The basic local knowledge though is grounded in from the start.
    Suppose successful match anglers sometimes have no option but to go further a field when the going gets tough. How you can thoroughly learn so many marks must take a lifetime and some!

I remember when I started fishing as a kid I had to stop local as couldn't drive and cycled everywhere so ended up learning 'my backyard' through all the trips to the same area.

7. CAB78

CAB78 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Bahamas :)

8. robq

robq Rockling

Bahamas lol thats cheating :D I think you would miss the weigh in ;D

Plenty of northern raiders come south during the early season matches, especially In tide matches ! Is that because there are no fish oop north in tide ??

9. mattie1

mattie1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Plenty fash up here lads LOL

sent from a rock somewhere near the sea

10. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Seen myself fish open matches start at boulby for low water then up the cliff and travell to north hawsker to fish iron spring for last couple of hours upto high a fantastic high water mark especially for those better fish it is allways good to have a lot of marks because they all fish different on different conditions northerly swell or easterly swell or even flat certain spots all produce on those conditions.

paul.

11. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

What a belting question Rob, i'm going to cheat, early season Sept-Oct Thornwick to Brigg. November to Feb Scarborough to cloughton.......

12. robq

robq Rockling

Thats cheating mark ;D come on name your stretch :)

13. cps

cps Rockling

I like the stretch from flambro to sea houses :)

14. robq

robq Rockling

Come on Chris a 3 mile stretch anywhre on the NE coast to fish all year round ;) where would you pick ?

15. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Ok Roberto, gunna have to be Cayton to Cloughton, gives me a bit of scaur fishing (holbeck)when conditions suit, bit of tide fishing, 2 or 3 good LW big sea spots for early season & Dec onwards and a bit of weed around Cloughton.

16. robq

robq Rockling

Hmmmm not sure if thats 3 miles mark ! But iagree with your choice of tide and scar marks If they fish ? Would you be happy to discount flamb and bemmo on the open match circuit though :eek: big gamble :eek:

17. Slim Jim

Slim Jim Blenny

How about Brigg end to 3 mile off !! ;D

18. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I think some of you need a better ruler ;-) 3 miles was the limit, head end to birdash shoreline and cayton to cloughton has to be well over 3 miles. Come on narrow it down to your banker stretch mine would be holbeck to north bay scarbro, so I had some scaurs, some tide some beach and some close range spots. Also having at least one spot for just about any sea conditions within the limits. B-)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

19. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

That's the thing Rob, I don't fish the matches cos weekends are normally spent travelling watching the young'un play footie. I was looking at it purely from enjoyment and what floats my boat, as much as I love Bemmo, I love scaur fishing more, much prefer to be moving around trying to keep up with the fish, Cayton has a huge place in my heart, one of the 1st LW spots along with North beach I was shown. Biggest miss for me is the Brigg, an awesome place on big tides.

20. cps

cps Rockling

the one I can walk to in 20 minuets