1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Many BIG fish have been lost from Hawsker?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bigcod2, Mar 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

I know myself how Hawsker can be really soul destroying sometimes for losing big fish...............have lost a big one from there?

2. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Yes son i remember the one you lost in th ship open it would have walked it jammed behind a rock 10 yds from our feet you struggled like hell with that fish you were still a junior but i bought you a senoir ticket i wwas nearly in tears we had just moved back as the tide had just started to flood and it was the last hour of the match into darkness you had one11lb when you were on whiby scaure in a club match with me a couple of years earlyer when you are about 13 years old and you said that fish you lost down hawsker felt a lot bigger just what would you have done with all that prize money if you had won .

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Fortunately Ive never lost a big one down there, but I guess its easily done . To be honest Ive never hooked a really big fish down there, I think my biggest is about 9lb.

4. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

I lost one which was probably the biggist cod i have ever hooked from the shore down iron spring. Belive it or not it was the very first time i organized the ship open which was actually the plough open at the time.

Mr tyler the landlord moved to the ship the following year thus the start of the ship open. It was my very first cast of the match on the saturday. I knew there had been quite a few cod into double figures caught by some of the scarborough lads as the sea was spot on on the saturday but on the sunday the swell had gone down.

Never the less my choice of mark was still going to be the iron spring, its one of my favourite places, and you allways have a chance of a good fish. I cast in off the corner, put the rod in the rocks. It was a fairly strong westerly and rod was bouncing about a bit then i noticed it give just one sharp nod.

I new it was a fish, i picked my rod up and the fish pulled away nearly pulling me off my balance i knew it was a good fish but i had no idea just how big till i started to wind in. My rod was just keeling over and my 9000c was creaking like it was going to explode.

Monty burton from scarborough was fishing next to me he saw what i had on and straight away moved down towards the edge with his gaff. Some of the lads were useing gaffs down there sucessfully to get the fish as they just swilled round you with the swells.

The fish just kept really deep all the way in, then sunddenly only yards out it got snagged. My line was more or less straight down off my rod end but the fish had made my line go between two rocks and fish got jammed.

I couldnt for love nor money release it. Monty was "shouting where is it", I just couldnt get the fish to swim me off. I think it had somehow jammed my swivell and the fish couldnt go anywhere. It was crackers as the fish was literally yards from me with the line staright up and down.

After trying all sorts for over 20 minuites the fish eventually came off. To put it mildly I was gutted I had a cod 20lb 3 oz off saltwich beach in the 70ss, this fish had to be much bigger, probably on parr with the one that Neil Inglis caught off long hole at Robin Hoods Bay which went over 28lb.

paul.

5. Baramundi Bob

6. robq

robq Rockling

Love those stories Paul :yes: was picturing it in my head !!

Gutted for you :sad:

7. Baramundi Bob

8. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

You certainley had one hell of a fish there paul, bet you were well gutted