1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Long will The 2014 Cod Fishing Season Last ???

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by fishface1, Feb 8, 2014.

1. fishface1

fishface1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

how far in to the year do u lads keep fishing for coddies from the shore my gear gets put away end of feb most years or odd march visit if we have the weather

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: 2014 cod season

Youll catch all spring this year no problem. Just need the conditions

3. fishface1

fishface1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

thx this season has being the best for years makes all the money, time, cold and wet worth it

4. Baramundi Bob

Last really good year I remember catching codlings off the beach in May.

5. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

With the amount of mops still around it's looking well good till the end of March .

Paul

6. Baramundi Bob

Last day of March ?? Where do they go in April Paul ?

7. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

lol :)

8. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

All depends what type of spring we get glen if its warm and sunny the bulk of fish move into deeper water but if its cold spring as you say it can go into late april or even into may i had my biggist cod down boulby in may 14lb plus many more that day and they were all fresh run fish only difference they were all on fresh crabs but as i say if its fine spring the winter fishing will go off and the sprat shoals start to turn up in late april .

paul.

9. Howard

Howard Blenny

Ive just looked back in my "fishihing diary" and the last couple of yrs have been very good just out of casting range in good tide on land rock for jigging/shadding in april and may. Previous yrs however show v,poor fishing inside until the summer fish arrive propper in june.
    All this back up what Paul was saying it will depend on the conditions/water temp.
    Its been one hell of a mild winter this time so far.

10. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

I had good cod from the shore every month of the year locally including double figure cod in April May and June. And have had some great spring runs into the summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 magic crystals shine bright with this one Jedi

11. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

One of the best day's I ever had was down spurn,(long time ago)..last day in may..just in front of the lighthouse..fishing for thornback..we hit a shoal of cod that lasted about an hour..it was manic soon as the lead hit the water it was "fish on"sea was flat calm sun was red hot people all over the place....15 cod in approx. 1 hour between two rod's...all around the the 6 lb mark....you just never know in this game :eek:

12. glassback

glassback Blenny

it can be same down flamborough /bempton paul
    sometimes better than winter .
    last few years havent been to clever though

13. Borissped

Borissped Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Interesting read this topic.

What conditions do you guys look for when targeting cod in Spring?

Deep water?
    Surf?
    Tidal Venues?
    Kelp?
    ....... etc

Want to keep meself fishing right until August/Sept when hopefully a plentifully amount of Bass grace our shores!
    Cheers

14. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Every year is different this winter and well into the spring the cod fishing might fish well but if you take most spots which are fishing well now doing the same in may that probably wont happen but you change venues and bait going to be interesting though just how well it fishes places like robinhoods bay in some spots have allready gone off which scaures can do into febuary whitby scaure does exactly the same the fish tend to move more towards sand now or more into the deep water marks but as usuall with fishing there anit any rules.

paul.

paul.

15. Baramundi Bob

Had a Fantatsic bag out of Crete Block in Late April early may. Think it was about 18 codlings, all on Fresh Crab. It was a bank holiday Monday so could have been Easter or May day. Thats was season 97 / 98 when there was millions of mops about.

16. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Can't beat fresh crab on brigg/bempton/flamborough in late spring early summer as the crab start to peel, fishing in tide can be awesome. My favourer months are May/June/September/October

17. imonlycoddin

imonlycoddin Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

what does fishing into the tide mean lads?? is it just fishing in the rip of the tide? confused!!!

18. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

So to sum up it will last till December 31st ;D

19. Baramundi Bob

Thats about right Quint. You should be able to catch a COD In Yorkshire, every month of the year. Baits and Marks will vary, amount of fish will vary, but it is always possible to find a cod somewhere.