1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long before you move ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by THE DOLPHIN, Oct 11, 2013.

1. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Just wanting to no how long you would stay at a mark if you were not getting bites / catching anything ?.
    I find once I am set up and fishing at a mark even without getting any fish or bites the time passes so quikly.

2. bow1

bow1 Rockling

without the extensive knowledge some of the lads have i worry the fish will move in as i leave!!!!
    itend to stick it out and try remember all details if fish turn up for the future!!!
    chris im out next few nites if u fancy it mate

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

3. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Most marks I fish Chris I know when prime time is flood or ebb, last or first. I fish during the prime time then look to move, if im not getting bites im away, more often than not it works but sometimes can work against you and you end up kicking yourself, I did just that on the Brigg on Monday, I was getting fish and after just landing a mop I still moved to where is normally red hot on the early flood only for it to not really happen.

4. Carrsythecod

Carrsythecod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great question Dolphin especially since it is one I was just about to ask:)

If you pick a spot is it not worth staying put as the nature of the mark naturally changes as the tide ebbs and floods?

If not how long do you give it? Can you or do you break time into tide related sections? and do you stay put for that long? e.g. 2 down / 2 up, 2 up / 2 down, flood / ebb or is that too long to wait for the action to start?

I appreciate some marks wont allow you the option of fishing at both high and low water and you have to move but how long do you choose to stay? Is 3/4 casts without a bite enough to force a move?

Is it fair to say most people start on easy marks such as piers, pick a spot and stand still throughout their session. Does this learnt behaviour stay with us and if transferred to other marks, limit our chances?

Or are we just a bit lazy and like to find a comfy spot out of the wind?

5. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Chris that is a hell of a question and no doubt we could all have our own take on it , the first thing I would say is find that fishing window for each mark you are fishing it might sound obvious but im sure theres plenty of anglers don't do just that , more of I will turn up when im ready rather than catch that fish window but usually that window will move depending on the tide size , one sized tide it will
    start maybe 2 hrs after LW on a totally different sized tide it could be 2 hrs after HW, some places I have fished I could look at my watch
    and think any minute now , so I suppose at some marks the answer would be don't leave it to long before its mark 2 / plan B

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

The more you know you r mark the easier that decision becomes. Most specific marks only have a very short time period for the fish to be there and putting a good bag of fish together can be about jumping around several different marks within a mark to get optimum results. Even the trusted west pier can be like this so ill use it as an example of what Im thinking about. Fish generally turn up at the end of the pier 2.5 hours before high tide. High tide comes and the fish go quiet. Time to move, start of the ebb it fishes in bottom corner of extension or on the stone wall, fishing 20 -30 yards behind the white water created by the breaker. Then the tide ebbs and you keep in that white water area behind the breaker and move up the pier with it arriving back at the end at roughly 2.5 hours before low when the end will start to fish again.

If I was on the pier and fish hadnt arrived 1.5 hours before high then I would not expect them to arrive in any great numbers so would consider a move to another mark entirely.

Once you know your optimum times for a mark you will know within 2 casts if the fish are in there. If they arent then move on. If your marks dont fish true under the same conditions also consider trying to learn a mark that does fish true (i.e. Marks that fish true you would expect to catch under the exact same conditions for say 80-90% of the times you go there).

There are marks I know of, like left of Runswick that you can know within 1 cast if its gonna fish, because youve arrived at the right time, the conditions are bang on, you have the right bait and you always get a fish first cast there and if you dont you always struggle.

Experience is key I think.

7. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Mint advice Glenn

8. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Great question. The more you fish a mark the more info you gather and it will pay off in time. There's loads of variables and no straight forward answer though.

A mark I fish a lot, one I thought I had pretty much sussed chucked a right spanner in the works last year for me though. The very spot which I thought would nt chuck a fish out at a certain state of the tide did just that! I left it for that reason. To make matters worse they were the only fish to come out and all my bankers failed to throw out a single fish, for me or anyone else.

They won the match too, so it's back to the drawing board.

9. Baramundi Bob

its funny isnt it. Just when you have it sussed. It does the opposite.

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

With numbers of fish about this year do you think it will enable a better picture to be built of a mark than those years when the fish are scarce or will it give a false indication?
    Does anyone have any logs that show what happened to their regular haunts in the last good mop year?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

11. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Absolutely dave. The last few years have done anglers no favours whatsoever re building a better picture. It's been so frustrating trying to second guess where fish are going to turn up or how your favourite marks will fish. If things carry on as they are it will be interesting to see if those marks fish as they used to. For the first time in years the fish seem to be staying inshore instead of moving in for a tide or two and then disappearing. Fingers crossed.

12. Baramundi Bob

The beauty is, that if you make the wrong move your gonna catch fish, which will give a lot of the newbies a chance to get amongst them. The right marks on the right night will fish better than the wrong marks. This year is not like 97 but its looking like it maybe one of the best years since then. Ninety seven all the usual marks fished but in my opinion it was the last time Whitby beach fished right. Maybe this year we will see the beach come alive again. I have my fingers crossed because that type of fishing is the fastest youll ever experience.

13. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

I usually move when I get pins and needles

14. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

Now if you could box that and sell it you'd be a millionaire in no time Glenn ;)

15. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Whitby beach wheres that sand fishing can be very fast indeed you can pull fish out very quick no gear loss very quick baitup its full speed i love that sort of fishing but you need to know how to read a beach for the best spots big deep gulleys arent allways the best and the fish are often only yds out just aback of the first breaker .

As mentioned most spots have there times when they fish on average after 2 hours back most spots tend to come on so if you havent had a bite after 3 hours back alarm bells start to ring but one rule is never leave fish beacuse you think you want to be somewhere else maybe just 100yds away being bitten on that one .

Sandsend cliffs often fish best on ebb after 2 hours back down to low but if you went there 2 hours before high you could be waiting 4hours before the fish actually come on its all down to experience most of the time but that is something you learn yourself and it can take years good advice about a spot your fishing is a massive help if you arent sure.

paul.

16. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Sorry for not replieing to this earlyeir lads but I was away over the weekend. What an interesting read all your comments make just wish I could get out fishing more than i do already you lads have put years in and you can tell that by your answers to my question.

One thing I like to do when I catch a few is post a report on here as I can look back at it and get ideas for my next session on that mark. I should also be making notes as to when I never catch at all marks to get a better picture when not to bother fishing them.

Cheers for all the help much apreciated.

Chris