1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Light Dare You Go ???

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. GJW

GJW Rockling

I am coming up later Andy, to raid your Jig collection and snaffle some Jellies... Trying jigging from the rocks over in CV in a couple of weeks, I know they get Amberjack, Dorado and Jacks n Tuna from the North of the island in the deep water, Think shore Jigging might be the key method..

2. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

They're sat on my desk at work waiting for you to pick them up :-*

3. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

When looking for spinning rods, and asking about the Vectura 7'7", quite a few people told me they used them as boat rods, with up to 6oz on end.
    I imagine that is quite a tasty set-up for a fight (if you have money to burn)
    Needless to say, I got the 7'3" instead!

4. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I go as light as dan told me to go, so I hope he, s right ;D

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I ve used a Fox Jerk bait rod for all my jigging for the past 6 years be it from kayak or boat. It is a lovely rod, just enough to cope with 6oz jiggers. I usually use much lighter though and scale down the braid, so I can fish tide easier and have more sport from the fish.

I ve not had any monster fish on the set up, but pollack to just under double figures, ling the same, codlings to 8lb but all much more fun than heavier gear. I also took it on a couple of boat trips and the 50lb class rod lads just tutted at the little lightweight rod I had........oh I had next best catch to the skipper and hardly lost any gear as well ....lol ;D ;D ;D

The rod has had several rings replaced and now the handle is in need of a spruce up. I wish I could find another of the same model but I think they are discontinued now. Hopefully still a few years left in it though once refurbed. 8)

6. young casper

young casper Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

iv had a few canny fish on light gear ,, started last year out for sea trout and hooked into a canny pollock got it in it weighed about 3lb i had 10lb main line and 5lb leader with a fly on it,, picked a few more fish up then hooked into a monster that just took the leader and snapped it,, i then fished with a wobbler straight on to me main 10lb line and had a few more canny fish out,, so now when i fish i take two reels one with 18lb line on just for when i come across a place with lots of pollock, had a canny 4lb cod not so long ago on the 5lb leader set up and ity came in no bother ;)

7. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have a Fladen 10/20 Lb Maximus rod that I won a few years back, cracking little rod, like a wand, but cr@p eyes, so I re rung it for fixed spool,and use it with a Shimano 3500 B baitrunner, a reel that the Yanks produced for just such a saltwater rod, coupled with 20lb braid...its great fun, but I have only used it so far for Bream and Wrasse when boat fishing, its going to be my go to shadding rod this year.

Looking at Dans set up,it is very similar.

I will still take my Kenzaki braid rod and Penn 535 for targeting Ling though.

Roger.

8. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Going back to the original question, 'How light dare you go'

In my experience going light always enhances the fishing experience and in some situations definitely seems to catch more fish. On the down side and this is inevitable, the big one which may be a fish of a lifetime will probably be lost on the light gear as it probably just doesn't have the backbone needed to haul the big one out of the wreck.

Bp

9. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

ive never had to "haul" a fish from anywhere. Its not just using light tackle, its making sure its balanced.

im confident in landning more fish on that type of gear than very heavy tackle which in my experience, you get alot more hook pulls

10. BigPauly

I'm not talking about "heavy tackle" Dan. I'm talking about if you hook a decent fish, which for instance could be a 20lb plus ling over a wreck, the first thing that fish is going to do is to head into the wreck. Try stopping that fish on really light gear and you will soon realise your mistake. Your blinkered vision that light gear overcomes all soon subsides to the realisation that you should have gone to speck savers!
    I would agree with you as I too am more confident in using "light balanced tackle" to catch more fish (Yes- more hook ups), however eventually you may come across a fish of a lifetime where something with a bit more grunt will steer that fish out of danger and out of the wreck.
    If you know of a light tackle set up to prove me wrong then I would love to know about it.

BP

11. bucko

bucko New Member

I think 'Blinkered' is a bit of a harsh term Pauly and a bit inaccurate under the context of this thread -as the crux of it is about opening our minds to the possibilities of 'sporting' tackle.
    At the end of the day tackle is only as good as the angler using it and we all want different things from a days fishing.
    Some wouldn't give a hoot about a 20lb ling but would love a few 8-10lb pollock on light gear and vice versa for others.

12. BigPauly

Sorry Bucko - I use the term 'Blinkered' as a generalisation and not personally at anyone. My fault for not making that clear enough.

The point I am trying to make is that going light is great (but don't be "blinkered" by it) but it may be to some expense if you do hook that biggie.

'Horses for courses' to term a phrase probably sums it up best.

Have you seen those little dinky Ice Hole fishing rods - Now that is going light - FACT! ;D

BP

13. Sadung

Sadung Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

23 pound salmon river wear on a brandling worm,45 mins before it showed itself,10 pound maxima line.shimano spinning reel 8 and a half foot30 yr shakespear ugly stick

Attached Files:

14. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

You also have to bear in mind its not just the size of the fish but the ground you are fishing over as well. If you were fishing over sand I'd say you can go way lighter as there isn't the worry of loosing a fish to snags. Its got nowhere to run to and you can just tire it out using the rod and drag. Rough ground / snags / kelp you wanna get it up in the water column especially if its a fish known to head for the bottom once it realises its hooked.

I personally do like to feel a fish fighting and a bend in my rod, probably why I prefer summer lure fishing for bass / pollock / wrasse / whatever else with light gear over beachcasters / big weights and no fight to speak of.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

15. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Double posted due to sausage fingers and tapatalk !!

16. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Two years ago I landed an 18-1/2 lb pike from a local reservoir on a 2lb mono hooklength and a size 18 spade end hook.... 13 ft match rod.
    It snatched a Roach I was winding in,the hook managed to purchase on the edge of the mouth just outside the jaw.It took me about 20 mins to land, a friend netted it for me.

BUT, that doesnt mean I would go out and target a Pike wih that gear, I normally use 15 lb mono and wire trace ( for Pike, not Roach :0) )

Just shows what can be done when you have to, thing is , there is no tidal pull on a Reservoir, having said that,on a boat, once any fish is away from rocks and scrap,using balanced tackle it should not be that hard to get any decent sized fish along side to net.

A friend in Cornwall regulary targets Tope to 40 or 50 pounds using 15 lb braid , very light rods and an Abu 6500....... off a boat though.

I dont anticipate any problems with rough ground Cod on the gear I mentioned earlier, dont think I would go any lighter than 20lb braid though.

Roger.

17. simon22

simon22 Rockling

For general wreaking what is the lightest jig we can get away with. In say 150 foot of water. I know when shadding I have never used more than a six oz bomb

18. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I find depends on tidial flow si on a smaller tide I use 6oz on bigger 10 otherwise ya lines miles away

cod help me !

19. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

20. j99oel

j99oel Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Back to the original post about Shetland. It's twice the depth of fishing off Whitby, big tides, the fish are potentially record breaking size, can't see 20lb braid and 6oz jiggers being up to the job in a place where hooking 3 20lb fish on one trace is a possibility.
    I'm sure there is scope for light line tactics up there but not on the scale we have off the east coast.