1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Light Dare You Go ???

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

[​IMG]

I was stood having this very discussion with Dan the other day and watching his post on Facebook it has started quite a debate. Dan had just had a customer in the shop who was heading up to The Shetlands on a fishing trip.

After asking Dan's advice, as usual he completely ignored the advice and went his own way. I guess the customer is always right. Its a good job I dont work in a tackle shop as I would end up throwing half the customers out the door.

Anyhow Dan had advised to fish as light as possible, the guy had bought an 80lb class boat rod, a huge multiplier and braid around the 100lb mark. This set up is similar to what the likes of Rupert is using to catch 300lb shark. Its similar to what would have been used in Whitby back in the 1970's. but times have moved on now, Havn't they ??

The discussion got me thinking about Henry Gilbeys trip to Norway where they caught a 40lb cod and a 30lb Coalie on a spinning rod.

So how light do you fish ?? Im starting to think that were still overgunning on a lot of our fishing trips. is light the new way forward ??

2. Groyne

Groyne Guest

Had plenty of cod to 7lb last summer on a 40 to 60gm spinning rod, 15lb line, a 2oz lead and a Shad. Great fun in the right conditions, even the mops can give you the run around.

3. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

12lb rod and 20lb braid is my set up glenn. Cant see the point in going heavier. Would kind of numb the fight in my opinion, and detract from the pleasure we crave in the first place!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

4. Baramundi Bob

Im thinking of going very light for my next uptiding trip.

5. Groyne

Groyne Guest

Only trouble with going light, is keeping your gear near the bottom. It's usually drop down, a couple of jigs, then reel up and start again.

6. Baramundi Bob

7. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Last time I was out uptiding I fished 2 rods one was a very light abu rod with a 525 reel and I had a few mops on it and while retrieving them I had 2 remind myself that I was only using a light set up great fun only time I wouldn't use a liggt set up is when dragging bait across the bottom at slack water I think it would be to flimsy but I used a 15lb class ugly stick last year for everything with 80lb braid and found it handled it ....... but only just

cod help me !

8. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

And look what you might catch using a 100g rated spinning rod, 30lb braid & light jigs

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=16329.0

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w330/STONEY_61/thisone.jpg

9. Baramundi Bob

What are the weight of your jiggers Andy ?

10. Groyne

Groyne Guest

11. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

On this set up I use up to 150g.

I like to keep in touch with the jigger as much as possible taking a lot of fish on the drop.

Itching to try my latest set up -

Major Craft Long Fall GKJ-B78/4LF (will use jig up to 200g on this )

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.majorcraft.co.jp%2Fenglish%2Fcatalogue%2Fpage01.jsp%3Fmode%3Did%2F161&ei=VlsTU83ZAe6p7AbVyYAI&usg=AFQjCNGwJuKlQFB4lINjb5A5HWl1cIVDww&bvm=bv.62286460,d.ZGU

Paired up with an Avet SXJ 5.3

12. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

It was shadrap that got me into this style of fishing around 3 or 4 years ago. Hes a master at working light jigs in up to 180ft of water

13. rupert

rupert Blenny

I don't know the correct term for rods that have rings rotating round the blank like that. They do look weird, but from what I've heard, they are a revelation to fish with. The design eliminates the twisting action you get from cranking a multiplier mounted on top of the rod.

14. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

They call rods with the eyes wrapped around the blank in a spiral "acid wrapped".

15. robq

robq Rockling

Iv used a fladen 15 -30g solid carbon spinning rod with a shimano 6000 baitrunner and 20 lb braid for over 8 years now :)

It does all my inshore jigging for up to 4 or 5 oz which coupled with the very thin braid is enough for water up to 80ft and quite a bit deeper if wind and tide are ok :)

I took it out on a trip out with killer a few years back and it was fine over slack water :) got a few funny looks from the other crew though !

16. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

For my boat fishing a 12lb class rod. It makes fishing more fun IMO specially with braid.
    The majority of summer cod are 2-6lb unless your lucky and catch a whacker.

17. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

nice setup andy, have you seen the low profile abus with a capacity of a 6500? think its the revo NaCi

18. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

They look a nice piece of kit Dan.

I got the Avet in a lefty, the narrow spool will hopefully mean line lay takes care of itself or needs minimum effort.

It looks like a toy but has plenty of grunt if required ;

http://b.vimeocdn.com/ts/451/797/451797037_640.jpg

19. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

looks good and not too expensive either. did you import that major craft rod?

20. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Yes it was imported Dan , think it was around £135 all in.

It is a lovely bit of kit and should be nice and sporty.

I went for a lefty multiplier purely for jigging to match my fixed spool set up.