1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How interested are you in the US elections?

Discussion in 'Non Fishing Chat' started by wildcard, Nov 7, 2008.

?

How interested are you in the US elections?

1. Couldn't care less

83.3%
  2. Can't get enough

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I've watched a bit of it

16.7%
  1. wildcard

wildcard Guest

I don't understand why our news media has been obsessed by something that we have no say in in the UK. Does anyone else have any views on this?

wildcard

2. Gas_mantle

Gas_mantle Guest

I guess the reason 99% of the ordinary guys like us can't understand the hype is because we don't fully understand how politics works.

Like most of us here, I'm an ordinary bloke so I don't fully appreciate the significance a change of the US president makes in terms of the world as a whole.

However, there's little doubt that whatever the USA do will indeed influence the world economy wether we like it or not.

What I'm trying to say in a round about way is :- US politics is important to us, hence the hype. The only reason we arent interested is we have no influence over it and don't understand it anyway.

Someone out there must know what I'm trying to say :crazy:

3. wildcard

wildcard Guest

Yep, I do. I think the worlds media is based in the USA. If there is a flood tragedy in America it is world wide news. If it happens in Africa then you will never hear about it.

wildcard

4. wildcard

wildcard Guest

On sky news this morning 5 of the 8 screens were stories about Obama. Reading the evening paper tonight a school has collapsed in Haiti with 40 odd people killed. Yet Obama was more important and it never made the news.

wildcard

5. IanB

IanB Blenny

No! its beacause the USA influences the world, hence Obama will wether he likes it or not

I think you have to understand politics to understand the implications,

6. Captain_Kev

Captain_Kev Blenny

I was fairly interested in the elections, mainly because I'm pretty against the views and policies of the republican party over there and what happens in America will always eventually have implications for us.

Read today that Obama is planning on reversing Bush's ban on stem cell research which is a quality move. I don't think countries should be run by religious nuts who love guns, it's not a winning combo.

Generally though I do think it was a bit over reported, it did get a bit annoying especially the OTT build up.

7. coasty

coasty New Member

Are you guys telling me theres been an election? I must have missed it,,,,

8. wildcard

wildcard Guest

Like how many images have you seen of obama with his arm waving in the air...

wildcard