1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you cook mackerel ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by BigBen, Jun 24, 2010.

1. BigBen

BigBen New Member

Hi just fancy asking you your recipes on cooking mackerel i fancy a change i normally put mine in the oven with a bit of garlic and butter but fancy a change so all replies are much appreciated :happy:

2. bassman

bassman Administrator

Love them fresh smoked :wink:

3. mr lee

mr lee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cleaned, bit of butter inside them, wrapped in foil and lobbed on the BBQ for a while.

Serve with an ice cold beer on a hot day. No need to dress fresh fish up with a load of other flavourings IMO. I enjoy being able to taste the actual fish rather than lemon, herbs etc. :yes:

4. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

5 mins in the microwave and garnish with a slice of brown bread add vinegar to taste,and a couple of beers for pudding

5. corkyballs

corkyballs Blenny

In foil, finely chopped shallot , a sprig of rosemary, a good squueze of lemon juice. Thats all thats required. 20 mins on the cool parrt of the bbq (you don't want to cremate it). Serve with good, buttered brown bread and a nice cold beer.

Of course if you blank on your days mackerel fishing, skip the first bit and just take the beer ! :cheesy:

6. Carbon Metal

Carbon Metal Guest

does smoking them take some of the oil of them as there 2 oily for me ?

7. BigBen

BigBen New Member

hahaha thanks guys the best thing about all of these recipes is they all involve beer :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

8. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

First gut the mackey,have a stella,then wash the mackey,have another stella,put the fish in the fridge for 20mins,have a stella,prepare a fresh salad,have a stella,put mackey in the freezer for winter bait eat the salad and have a stella :yes:

9. BigBen

BigBen New Member

lmfao how about just leave the macky and drink the crate of stella :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

10. Stevie

Stevie Blenny

Ingoe1 no stella before gutting?

11. BigBen

BigBen New Member

shouldnt drink stella before operating with knives you never know mite end up with 1 less digit than you started with :laugh: :laugh:

12. hopper

hopper Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i go for mr lee recipe

13. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

:laugh: :laugh: well u did ask :laugh: :laugh: The idea of cooking fresh mackerel for three hours may sound like culinary madness, but I assure you this recipe is a corker. You'd think the fish would fall apart, but it keeps its shape beautifully. It ends up richly infused with the highly aromatic sauce, and so tender you can eat the bones. Serves six to eight.

A dash of groundnut oil (or sunflower oil)
    2 medium hot chillies, deseeded and finely sliced
    10-12cm piece root ginger, peeled and finely sliced
    4-6 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
    6-8 medium-sized mackerel, gutted, heads and tails removed
    100ml soy sauce
    50ml cider vinegar
    25g soft brown sugar
    Up to 350ml apple juice

Choose a heavy-based pan, big enough to hold all the fish in a single layer, and place over a medium heat. Add the oil, chilli, ginger and garlic. Cook until the garlic just starts to colour, then remove from the heat.

Arrange the mackerel in the pan - they should be packed in closely, with few or no gaps between them. If you can get only large fish, cut them in half (straight across, not lengthways) to make them fit more snugly. Pour over the soy sauce and vinegar, sprinkle on the sugar, then pour on enough apple juice just to cover the fish.

Return the pan to the heat and bring it up to a simmer. As soon as you see the simmer beginning, turn down the heat so it doesn't boil fast. Cook it, covered, at a very gentle, popping simmer, for three hours. Don't let it boil and don't be tempted to move the fish until the three hours are up. Then remove them from the cooking liquid, set aside and keep warm.

Strain the cooking liquid and return it to the saucepan. Turn up the heat and boil until it is reduced by one third. Taste, and adjust the seasoning to your liking - the sauce should be hot, sweet, sour, fruity and salty all at the same time, so tweak the amount of chilli, sugar, vinegar, apple juice and soy as you see fit.

Arrange the fish on a pile of noodles and/or some steamed greens (spinach or pak choi). Pour over the sauce and serve. If there are any fish left over, they are delicious cold.
    enjoy

14. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

that recipe is japanese-style-slow- cooked-mackerel

15. oddjob

oddjob Blenny

rub the skin with olive oil then a bit of salt n pepper on the skin and bbq..... skin goes like crackling and the insides steam

wash down with ice cold crabbies ginger beer then sit in the garden for the rest of the night slowly digesting supper

16. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Nice recipe - looking forward to trying it.

17. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

pan fry fillets in a hot pan with a little oil untill golden skin side down then turn over on to flesh side then turn the heat of and leave them in the pan on the stove for a few minuits there will be enough residual heat left in the pan to cook them perfectly and not over cook them.
    serve them on some new potato salad made with good mayo loads of chopped scallions black pepper and lemmon juice and serve with a horse radish cream dressing made by getting 200ml of double cream a little lemmon juice chives and grated horse raddish or a teaspoon of horseradish from a jar mix up and drissle a little around the plate this is excellent to cut the oilyness of the fish serve with some summer leves tossed with some english asparagus sliced new potatoes and dressed with olive oil and lemon juice simple and gorgeous just like fresh fish should be cooked not fucked about with should take you ten mins to do .

18. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

1 - simple fried in butter and black pepper, lovely for breakfast!

2 - fillet them down, skin and bone and cut into small strips, put in a bowl and soak in vinegar. while its soaking finely chop
    chilli peppers and ginger.
    drain off the vinegar from the mackerel and mix the the mackerel, chilli and ginger, then add a little vinegar and salt.
    delicious! i learned that from the filipinos i used to sail with. its really nice if you can get used to the idea of eating raw
    fish

19. BigBen

BigBen New Member

Bill my mouth is actually watering with that recipe :happy: and also fancy trying Richy's soaked in vinegar and also lee's BBQ recipe nothing better than a fresh bit of mackerel caught and cooked same/following day many thanks to everyone who posted :happy:

20. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

fillet the mackerel roll up lengthwise and hold together with a wooden toothpick. Place in an oven proof dish and fill the dish with a 50/50 water/vinegar mixture until the rolls are half covered. Place in a hot oven for 15 mins, delicious hot or cold.