1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How About A Bit Of Fun ??

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Baramundi Bob, Jan 16, 2010.

1. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Here's a couple I took of our pony Patrick. I hope its allowed as I didnt use my own camera I used Garys A200

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Taken on Olympus E-410 DSLR..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I m hoping to get out this Tuesday/wednesday on my days off. Until then, these are from a while ago.
    Taken in full auto mode on a Canon dslr 400d with an 80-200mm canon zoom lense. No editing other than a little cropping. The tight zoom gave me the desired short depth of field to keep the subject sharp(ish) and the background blurred. I was hanging off the 300+ft cliffs at Bemmo with Rob having kittens that is was too close to the edge but it was the only way I could get a good shot of the birds on the cliff.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These sheep were at the roadside near to 'The Lion Inn' up on Blakey Ridge and I used a fuji finepix camera again on full auto.....I liked the windswept look of their coats and the dark sky in the background.
    [​IMG]

This swan was getting closer and closer down at HORNSEA MERE I cropped out some of the background as it was drawing the eye away from the swans head.
    [​IMG]

A gull near Whitby bandstand,again on the canon but 18-55mm lense this time.
    [​IMG]

I ll try to get some new ones this week cheers Dave.

4. nicksan

nicksan New Member

Still getting used to my Sony Alpha 200 but here's a few I got at Thorpe Perrow at the end of last year:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the first one: ISO400, F5.6, 1/100 using the 3.5-5.6 18-70 lens
    the secone one: ISO400, F5.6, 1/320 using the 3.5-5.6 18-70 lens
    the third one: ISO400, F5.6, 1/125 using the 3.5-5.6 18-70 lens

All three were (ashamed to say) shot on the auto setting, I have an idea how to shoot using apature setting but haven't had much chance to practice it yet. Any tips would be great :)

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Iso is something I dont really understand. Can someone explain in terms I may understand what it is please ? I know I have it on my bridge camera but never knew what it does.

6. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Glenn my understanding of it is that it represents the old film speeds but in digital cameras it is an equivilent figure for how sensitive the sensor in the camera is to light. The higher the number the ability to shoot in reduced light conditions is increased.
    One thing I m not sure about though is does the increase in iso cause "grain" as I remember from my days of films and doing my own developing and printing that the increased film speeds used to cause grain in the image quality....sometimes a desired effect particulary in black and white landscape shots.
    I think ...someone will confirm....that in situations were you need to use a fast shutter speed,such as sports....and the light is of a level where the aperture is already at maximum and the shutter speed is too slow to capture the image without blurring.....increasing the iso will allow a smaller aperture setting and therefore a faster shutter speed hence keeping the image sharp.

That's my basic understanding of how to work with the iso settings and apperture and shutter speeds .

7. GJW

GJW Rockling

Dont take for certain but i believe ISO is to do with the sensitivity to light..

Most cameras you can adjust the ISO to use higher shutter speed/ smaller apperture a high ISO will allow you to take pictures in lower light situations but this can cause picture noise and make your picture look a bit grainy.
    Try and stick to a lower ISO if you can but in some cases you may need to adjust it to get the result you desire...

I think thats right.... :confused: :wink:

8. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Ive just found out that the loss of image quality is increased with the high iso's but unlike film grain the digital noise does not add to the mood of mono shots ....I used to like the grain effect on mono film shots.....suppose down to photoshop to create the effect now.

9. GJW

GJW Rockling

Sorry Dave think i must of posted at the same time, but yea i think we are on the right tracks, by the way i love the pics of them Gannets ever since i first saw them when you first posted them a good while back now, and the wind swept sheep is very atmospheric....

Happy Snapping

Gary

10. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well, i went along to sandsend yesterday and met ,snapper spike , i took my camera and he showed me one or two things ,the penny has started to drop now and i hope to put into practice what i think i have remembered :embarrass: spike is a very helpfull chap and in my opinion a gentle giant (he,s a big bugger :surprise:) if you get the chance to meet him grab it with both hands ,he realy does know what he is on about, i hope to meet up again for another lesson :wink:

11. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

[​IMG]

picture of little red robin itook at christmas 2 year ago when returning from diggin worms.taken on kodak z740.

i too really like the sheep pic dave ,the pic really shows how harsh it can be up t'moors

[​IMG]

little brigg boy took this one day and managed to blur the back ground out, something i find difficult when i'm trying to do it.it genarally happens by accident for me

12. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

You can get some good pics from most any camera. Partly from reading the manual and, of course, a lot of luck.

Down in the long grass (of the river swale) trying to out-wit a barbel ...

[​IMG]

Having found out that there was an IR remote for my compact camera I figured that a pile of maggots and a camera might tempt something while I waited for a Tench ...
    (look at the nearside leg and see what I missed by a couple of seconds)

[​IMG]

A compact is OK for "landscape" pictures as you head off home after a hard day on the rocks ..

[​IMG]

You can adjust the iso and shutter speed for night time shots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you are sad enough to walk out clutching a coffee and think "gee if only I had my camera" then realise that you do ...

[​IMG]

Even old (3mp) cameras leave you with memorable shots ...

[​IMG]

So.. no more excuses along the lines of "I don't have the kit". lets have some photo's on the thread.

13. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

These are some i took last year with my samsung digimax A7 compact camera,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ducks up et the tanhill pub
    [​IMG]
    wish i had a macro lens when i saw this dragonfly
    [​IMG]
    and finaly some sheep ,not very good i know ,to much foreground ,and to much sky thats just for starters, this was with my DSLR 330 last week,
    [​IMG]

14. marshy

marshy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

This is Charlie, taken last July on the old nab at Staithes Olympus 850 SW. Cropped it to remove my right boot from the shot cos I was laid flat on my back with him sat next to me.

[​IMG]

15. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I went out today with the camera and duke....walked nearly 8 miles...the little fellas longest walk to date...and afetr a full day out fishing with me yesterday the little pal is shattered....the dull skies and miserable weather meant the camera saw little action...the best shot of the day is my buddy resting after his walk.

[​IMG]

16. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Dave , when that little fella tells you he wants to go and live with Harry ,send me a pm and i will come and pick him up, is he talking yet :whistle: i,m sure i saw his lips move :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

17. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

H, he really is a little star...never thought having a pup would be so easy and bring so much pleasure...but this little chap is always good natured. Mind you yesterday he went on his fisrt fishing trip....he was great..no chasing leads as the casts were made...but he got a liking for my mates bait and pack up...lol...started off on scotch eggs finished up eating fresh yellow tails...lol :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
    He's proper pooped now after his big walk.

[​IMG]

18. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

Is it just me or have you missed an opportunity to photograph some birds!!!!! :confused: :yes: :yes: looking forward to some interesting pics being posted

19. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Jesus I forgot all about this topic!

Gonna make the effort to get out and snap some pics sometime soon, I've got a couple in mind :wink:

20. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Just had chance to look at these pics there are some absolute beauties. Well done lads :yes: :cool: