1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hound Dog Day..... (A trip to Holderness)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Jun 10, 2014.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

Well after hearing on the grapevine that the Smoothhounds were hitting the beaches down South, I decided to have a pop down and try my luck.. The Holderness coast is not a place I have had a great deal of luck fishing in the past. I normally catch nothing, or the same old tales of you should of been here yesterday as it was knee deep in fish, or its fishing its nuts off a mile up the road.... :'( Whatever the reasons I always seem to miss the boat..

Anyway after the torrential rain on Saturday, Sunday was giving out a Sunny day with light winds... If nowt else. I will catch a few rays (from the sun) not the fish type.. :-[

So me and my mate Dan, set off bright and early and headed South.. Another thing about Holderness is I always get lost... ;D True to form I got lost again and ended up somewhere near were I thought I was suppose to be... Mud cliffs and sandy beaches, is pretty much how I remembered it... 8)

Well as predicted the sun was shining and I thought what a great day to be out fishing... We armed ourselves with Mars bars and bottles of Coke and made our way steadily down the Clay cliffs..

A few anglers were already set up and fishing.. It all looked pretty much the same so walked a 100 yards and plonked ourselves down on the beach and set up...

Well we baited our hooks with peeler crab and cast it seaward put the rods in the rest and waited..... I was starting to get that feeling again as the rods stood motionless, After 20 minutes I thought peel another crab ready for the next cast. As i turned my back on the rods I heard a clatter as the rod with rod rest attached was heading for the sea..... ;D ;D untangled the braid from the rest and soon had the first Hound on the beach which weighed in at 7lb..

For the next hour or so it was fish after fish... Then as if someone switched the switch off, it went dead,, guessing the pack had passed by.. I tried everything varying my distance, size of baits etc... A couple of hours past and then the rod tip pulled down and I struck into another Hound, was hopeing this was the start of another run, but it wasn't to be just a lone straggler...... :(

Not the biggest Hounds and not the greatest session but a welcome change for me and a fantastic day to be out fishing, fish or no fish...

Our office for the day... Keeping the crabs in the shade..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Hounds homed in on the crab baits.... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tight-Lines..... :)

2. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

great report and pics 8),i fish holdeness all the time and you would think its just miles of same old beach
    but its not,it can be so different all along and also change tide after tide ;D

3. NorthWestern

NorthWestern Blenny

great report gary, was thinking of going down with my son in the near furture, have you got any advice on where to fish,how far out do i need to be casting. also what state of tide. ;D

any help would be great

thanks

jason

4. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

nice one gaz, think we were a week early.

did you see that vid of mackys 25lber from lincs on sunday?

5. GJW

GJW Rockling

Na didn't see that Dan.. Do you have a link to it?? That's one hell of a Hound....

6. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

on your facebook page gaz

7. GJW

GJW Rockling

Cheers Dan.

8. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Bloody great sport Gary, really enjoyed reading that :)

9. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Once more a top notch report , nice pics and lovely fish , all on a nice sunny day , cant be bad

10. glassback

glassback Blenny

well done gary a good session there
    nice to catch other species as well ,i think thats why i prefair
    fishing in summer

11. limpet

limpet Blenny

Great report again cheers 8)