1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hot cup of coffee

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by CBass, Jan 8, 2011.

1. CBass

CBass New Member

One of my goals for this year after reading the strobist blog was to master or at least get competent at using off camera flash.

For those not familiar with David Hobby who writes strobist the site is well worth a read if you fancy using you flash creatively. http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/ (go to lighting 101)

After poring over the site religiously trying to pick stuff up here's my first proper strobist image.

[​IMG]

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

thats very good that mate. :yes:

3. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello, that's a marvelous photo........the quality of the photos that people post on here is fantastic.

Well done,

Regards Ian

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

$hit , how did you do that, its amazing.

5. CBass

CBass New Member

Cheers for the comments guys.

The "steam" is from a joss stick, I set the flash off to one side with a snoot (something to reduce the flash spread) on a black background so only the smoke is lit and you have the pretty smoke patterns. The mug is just a pic of a mug against black background and then you get this cool effect.

I've been at it again.

[​IMG]

6. woggum

woggum [IMG]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/Paulin

how come the steam on the first photo on the orange cup is the same as the steam on the blue cup in the second photo but in reverse ? i no nothing about photography just a question do not take offence

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

It isn't !

Those are superb shots cbass...........they have to be admired....you have a good eye for some 'off the wall' shots.

cracking shots.

8. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Awesome pics bud, very clever :yes: :cool:

Gotta to agree with Woggum on this one :happy:

9. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great stuff Cbass, you must be well pleased with the results you've achieved.
    How long did it take you get everything set up just right?

Regards Ian

10. CBass

CBass New Member

Cheers guys, yes busted, bit of reuse of the steam :whistle:

The shots of the steam/smoke took literally minutes to set up, my flash was off to one side with a cardboard box and a bog roll sticking out of it.

I pinned a black piece of cloth to the door behind it and moved the bog roll until it was catching just the smoke then shot away until I got some smoke shapes that I wanted.

The single cup was lit using a single flash off to the side to light it, nothing special.

The multiple cups I spent quite a while on the lighting so I didn't get loads of reflections etc etc. It was lit from above and one side in the end.

It was definitely a case of trying out setups until it looked right.

This was all a learning curve for me as it was a technique I was very keen to learn, so it was actually quite a bit of fun.

11. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Quality mate, very creative. Can't wait to get my flash at month end even more now :yes:

12. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Damn wrong again :laugh: :laugh:

cbass, do you have a studio or what did you do to control any other light spoiling the shots ? They really are superb shots matey.

13. CBass

CBass New Member

Cheers Jelly, I'm quite pleased my PS was subtle in any case :happy:

No studio really (not a proper one in any case), one of the great things about the strobist blog is there are lots of DIY tips so you can try stuff on a budget.

The flash spread was controlled with a bog roll holder for the smoke, the backdrop was a piece of black fabric, I did buy the flash and some remotes and a soft tent (a whopping £8 off fleabay) but most of it is home made. I sit the soft tent on a table, use a tripod to hold the flash.

Using flash you can crank up the power and increase the shutter speed to overpower ambient, if you have a black background it's even easier. The second shot (of the 4 mugs) was shot at night so is totally flash lit.

If you want some inspiration for home made set ups-

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/2008/03/diy-light-beer.html

I'll be trying some beer shots myself in the near future, if you anyone is interested I'll post up some setup shots.

14. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I think I ll have to save up for a flash ,I really like the still life indoor photography..........saves having to have good light and travelling about to use the camera.
    I seem to have put mine away and not got any use this winter.......I ve missed all the snow opportunities cos of me bust ankle.

Look forward to some more inspiration with the 'beer' shots.

Cheers Dave.

15. Supersonic

Yeah I look forward to seeing that mate :yes:

16. CBass

CBass New Member

From a hot cup of coffee to a cold beer... :cool:

[​IMG]

It's the first time I've ever been to the offy and bought beer solely on the basis of the bottle.

Lit from below with my flash on full zoom and against a black background. Needs a bot of tweaking to get it how I would like but I'm pretty pleased for a first go.

Best go and see if this beer is any good :whistle:

17. Supersonic

awesome mate, you're making me giddy about getting the flash now

18. CBass

CBass New Member

What flash are you gettting, just out of interest? I got a cheap Yongnuo, the £300 quid I saved on the canon version was a bargain, I suspect if I was using it on camera it would matter but all the shots have been dialled in manually on the flash and the camera.

The thing that really made these shots possible was the wireless remotes, I got mine off Fleabay for about 20 quid and they really were a bargain for what they allow me to do.

We should swap notes when yours turns up. In the mean time have a look at Strobist.com or the Strobist Flickr group for some inspiration

Jelly no need to spend silly money on a flash or triggers etc

19. Supersonic

I'm gonna go for the Sony f42. Not the top range one, but not sure if I need to spend daft money on one really. Reviews all seem good for it and it apparently works really well on camera, it seems pretty intelligent. Let's hope so eh.

I've got the cheque coming from insurance for my bike which got nicked, so when it does it's flash and f1.8 prime time :happy:

Oh and wireless remote has been on my list for AGES. Dunno why I've never got round to getting one!

I'll check those sites out mate, I've been doing a load of reading on flash in preperation but not looked at them.