1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hornsea kayak fishing today

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by robq, Feb 18, 2009.

1. robq

robq Rockling

Well after yesterdays paddle and seeing the local netters filling boxes with prime cod :surprise: Simon Made the long journey from the midlands to join me on my maiden Dorado fishing trip in search of a few nice cod.

I was a little suprised to see that the swell had picked up from yesterday rather than drop as MSW forecasted :angry:

It might not look much but it can be a bit tricky beach launching in a kayak !! as simon found out :yes:

[​IMG]

Luckily Mark Coleman was on standby in his chestwaders to assist simon with his launch !! " you nutters must be bloody mad " he said !! probably not far off the mark !!

He also confirmed that there had been "tons" of fish just offshore :hungry: :hungry:

[​IMG]

Once out there we anchored up and it soon became evident that the fish had moved on as the boats were emptying their nets but no re-shooting them. Bites were few and far between !! so Simon took the opportunity to put his feet up for a bit

[​IMG]

Eventually we started getting a few bites that were hard to hit but turned out to be whiting :sad:

[​IMG]

In the end due to the lack of bites, dead tide and the freezing cold we decided to drift fish for a bit to try and find a few fish but same result :sad: Not sure if the fish had gone or were just pre-occupied with chasing herrings ??

[​IMG]

After 4 and half hours we had seen enough and the cold was really getting to the extremities !! so we decided to call it a day. I ran the gauntlet through the surf first and opted to come in backwards !! wise choice as a good set of 4ft + swells hit as I was halfway in :surprise: Good job that I had everything well stowed in the fishbox as they broke right over the yak and I took them full on the chest filling the cockpit with water !! Simon timed his well and came in forwards :yes: Good skills !!

[​IMG]

All in all a poor days fishing but It was nice to test the dorado in a fishing situation. It performed faultlessly :yes: Quick, stable, and comfortable. The fishbox is a great storage area and you can even put your rods up to 7ft in there for beach landings !!
    Well recommended to anyone thinking about upgrading their boat :yes:

Rob

2. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Great report and pics, takes balls to go out in those conditions and at this time of year.

3. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

well done to the both of you, unlucky on the fish. Simon will get his Yorkshire Cod one day!

I think I'd have turned round and gone home if i saw that surf, Runswick never gets like that lol

4. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

been flat calm at scarborough all day.

but well done on what you got :yes: brave hacking the weather

5. robq

robq Rockling

Cheers lads !!

I was really gutted for him after he travelled all that way. I suppose thats fishing !! we should have been there yesterday :whatever: :whatever: story of my fishing career :laugh: :laugh:

The cold was'nt too bad for the first 3 hours but then my footwarmers started to fade and it really started to bite :evil:

I'm sure that if we had caught a few fish we wouldnt have felt it !!

Rob

6. gforce

gforce Blenny

well done on getting out rob it looked pretty calm once you got out, soon be getting boat back to brid roll on , i,m bored
    steve

7. robq

robq Rockling

Yeah I know what you mean mate the shore fishing has been pants lately :sad:

It will soon be May :yes: clear water for the wrecks and bass :tease: :tease:

Lets hope we get a proper summer after a proper winter this year !!

Rob

8. GJW

GJW Rockling

Yea well done Rob and Simon, some great pics mate, shame the fish wern't playing ball but hey there is always next time, at least you put the dorado though its paces and it looks like it handled very well... :cool:

9. robq

robq Rockling

Yeah its a nice yak mate !! but the 4.5 elite is not far behind it !! Bet your itching to get out on it now :yes:

Simon got a few pics too that I am sure he will put up :yes:

Rob

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

Sorry to hear about the lack of fish lads , shame simon didnt get his first cod, for the effort he made in traveling , im sure it will come very soon . Cheers

11. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Great report Rob...good to see a kayak fishing report again....sure everyone else be thinking about getting out as soon as conditions allow..... :happy:

12. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Good effort boys it won't be long now, Springs around the corner :cool: did you tell the Mrs you went out with Diana Rob :kiss:

13. Dorado

Dorado New Member

Blimey, it is tomorrow already and I am still clearing up the mess in the car and putting everything away after setting the hose on it all last night....you lot are quick off the mark with this posting lark My pics are still in the camera!

launching - I hung about and got some of Rob launching. He had a hole in the sets and off he went - about a 1m set. No probs and straight out. I wasn't looking and the waves hit my kayak sat on the beach while I took pics - ran and caught the kayak!

In all the mesing about to get some launching pics I hadn't fastened my FF on the box lid - or put the cable on the back of it. So when I launched, into a larger set of swells - which had I waited a little I would have got a smaller set as well....anyway, the first wave was fine, thena big one reared up infront of me - it took the FF off the box and I caught it with my chest (luckily) so had to go back and sort everything out again - I then found I hadn't connected the battery up either....absent minded? Me?

Then with everything connected up this time - back out again. Now I know why I don't like using the FF much - it just sits there and distracts you all day! My feet were frozen by the end of the day and when I got in on the beach and went back to the car, my fingers were so cold that I couldn't work the car key and had to get someone in the car park to get the key out of the drybag and open my car for me! They were just frozen into a curl.

Bit disppointed to not get my cod - again. I am sure they are non existent. Like the Unicorn, just a myth. (I had Unicorn liver with onions for supper last night though!)

Thanks for giving me the shout and trying to help me get a fish Rob. I think the Westcountry pollack are much easier. just drop a redgill down and work it until your rod heads for the water, simple. Like bass really too - cod a far more difficult to catch than bass or pollack.

Roll on the summer. I can't stand this cold. My extremities just give up the ghost, despite all the gear (oh, and I forgot my PFD too - before anyone notices it is missing from the pics) It was sat at home......but having driven all that way, I was not aborting the launch. The drysuit would have given me some support if I had gone in. With the conditions, it was only the shore break to worry about, so with the stability of the Dorado I was confident of being able to stay upright. However, if I had gone in, I wouldn't have been long in being able to help myslef - the way I froze up, getting out PDQ would have been a priority.

Moral - DO NOT FORGET YOUR PFD.

14. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

hmm now where's that link to the kayak safety thread. I wonder who wrote that :whistle:

15. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Wel done you lads ,some good pic's there :yes: shame the cod didn't play the game ,but it looks like you had some fun , mind you i wouldn't fancy coming in on that swell :surprise: thats why i dont think it's for me :scared: the shore or a big boat every time thanks :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: