1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hook choice for bait fishing wrecks

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by simon22, Mar 21, 2014.

1. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Hi lads. I normally use the 8/0 hooks that u get in a bag from Dan at Whitby angling. However I ordered some 8/0 Sumatra off the net. Not very happy with them as they seem very small for an 8/0. What do u recommend or should I stick to the ones I normal use

2. pavel1983

pavel1983 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I've seen people catching on on hokkais, with much smaller hooks, around 4/0, still nice lung landed. Old rule say - match your hook to the size of ur bait, and the bait for the size of ur fish. So if this hooks are fine for ur bait u use, should be ok. If they are not to thin, u dont want to bend open hook when haul a fish

Tap Tap from my MI2

3. simon22

simon22 Rockling

I suppose my question should be why are different makes so different in size. The 8/0 Sumatra should be big enough to leave a good point showing in a full squid but I am not sure they will

4. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Simon, do you mean Sakuma hooks, never heard of Sumatras.

Roger

5. pavel1983

pavel1983 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have some sakuma bait holders 4/0 and some cheap 5/0, the difference in size is I'd say at least 3 sizes.. There should be some standard

Tap Tap from my MI2

6. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I find you need a very strong hook when bait fishing as I would hate to lose that fish of a lifetime due to shitty hooks not suitible for the task in hand. Also I think ya hook has as much chance as anything to get snagged up so I prefer the stronger hooks for that reason aswell
    7-0/8-0 I would say the fine wire hooks aint any good for dragging lumps of squid through the wreck

cod help me !

7. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Yes Mr melly. I do mate. perry can u contact me lost another phone

8. I use Cheap 8/0 ..O'shaunassy pattern from Chapmans in Hull....7 pounds for 25 (maybe 50?) very thick metal

If going for Ling..use 10/0..with the glow in the dark squids on them

Cheers

U

9. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi mate for well offshore I use cox and rawle meat hooks in 8/0 perfect for big squid baits and are strong and more to the point(pardon the pun!)very sharp never let me down,I also use the same hook in 7/0 for tope

10. Sadung

Sadung Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi ,I use 80 lb main line 120 ,pound one metre length with a 60 hook full squid had some cracking fish,if you hit the wreck the swivel or knot goes but you never loose a good fish had cod to 28 pound off Whitby