1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home made kayak stabilizers

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by VINCENT PAVEY, Jun 18, 2009.

1. VINCENT PAVEY

VINCENT PAVEY Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi there, I am new to whitby sea angler forums, I am originally from the Isle of Wight and my family still lives there so I visit the Island 4-5 times a year to figh in my kayak.
    The problem is, where I fish on the Island, there is a lot of yachts and jet skis; the problem is with jet skies you get idiots that come up close to you and they can make you capsize fequently, then think it's quite amusing.

So I have recenty seen on YouTube someone with stabilizers for their kayak, and I could make use of them to stop me capsizing. However, they are very costly so I went and set out to make some./ cheaper. I am hoping to meet some one to fish and share our interests.

I hope you enjoy, this video I have put together of my new stabilizers. And I hope that I am not breaking any rules by putting this link on here. :pray:

So This is what I come up with.. :educated:

HOME MADE KAYAK STABILIZERS

2. Davo

Davo Rockling

Hi Vince

Very inovative them outriggers-well done :yes: :yes:. I wish i was that inventive :sad:

3. vtech

vtech Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Looks good vince i cant see how it could do anything but make a kayak more stable :cool:

4. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

ye made me laugh with this bit (The problem is, where I fish on the Island, there is a lot of yachts and jet skis; the problem is with jet skies you get idiots that come up close to you and they can make you capsize fequently, then think it's quite amusing)
    i no its not funny but the bit ye say then it's quite amusing. got me + video it's me.
    Great stuff well done tight lines chris

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Looked back through the threads and there is post from a while ago....and a really good point riased by Bassyken....is that the outriggers do look like they ll give you some stability but if you do go over, is it going to be equally as hard to right the kayak again, in other words will the outrigger keep the kayak as stable upside down ? If they do then bad news .

6. VINCENT PAVEY

VINCENT PAVEY Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks for your time in watching guys, It's all good fun lol. Its just a humorous way of showing you something I have made :p

Good point about the capsizing mate, but I can't get it to capsize even if I wanted it to. I have jumped on it, stood on it, you name it.
    I will try and think of something up to correct the issue you brought up.

Thanks guys,
    All the best!

Me. :wink:

7. CBass

CBass New Member

Why don't you just put one on one side? Or have one side retracted and one side extended. You'll get just as much stability and a lever to drag the boat upright if you do go over?

8. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

dont they get in the way when you are paddling?

9. vtech

vtech Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

May have missed something here, but regarding the capsise issue and stablisers, could you not just have them hinge so as they were free to fall down when the boat was lifted out the water. but once right way up they just toped out and were rigid as long as the floats were touching water. just a fixed pivot with 4/5 inch and another pin through on top would work would nt it.