1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOLIDAY FISHING --- SHARKS FROM THE SHORE..

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Jun 21, 2012.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

CAPE VERDE FISHING......

[​IMG]

Just back from a couple of weeks holiday in the Cape Verde. I thought it might be helpful to other members to tell of what I found, if anyone is thinking of venturing out there and packing the fishing rods.. Likewise I thought others might share there holiday fishing tips on how they managed to catch and what techniques and tackle used..

Cape Verde is only a 6 hour flight from Manchester and is a set of Islands about 400 miles off Senegal, I think there is nine Islands that are inhabited.. It has lots to offer to the sea angler, from Big Game Marlin and Tuna fishing to spinning or float fishing from the rocks for Jacks, Trigger fish, Grouper and many small rock species.

I took a couple of beach rods and a spinning rod and various hooks, line, floats, plugs. I did a little research on the internet but couldn't find a great deal about the fishing..

Communication was a little difficult because most of the residents speak Portuguese and very little English, so you weren't going to get any info from the locals.. Well I set off to the local beach one evening armed with my beach rods and a bucket full of herring that cost me 3 Euro or 300 Cape Verde Escudo's. When I arrived I found a few locals already set up they were floating live baits under a balloon for Sharks..

I had some wire traces so I set up some rigs on 150lb wire and 8/0 circle hooks and hooked on the Herrings and cast them seaward, the light was just fading and I was just setting up another rig when I heard a clatter and my rod had been pulled from the rod rest and was heading towards the sea at some speed, I just managed to grab it before it disappeared into the ocean, after a short fight I had my first Shark on the beach, not a massive shark but a good size for standard beach gear at about 10lb.

[​IMG]

I never did get my second rod set up and after a couple of hours I had landed 4 Shark between 6 - 12lb so left the beach with a spring in my stride.

Next evening saw me back at the same spot but arrived a little earlier and set up a balloon rig tried for an hour to catch some small live baits with no success so hooked a small Tuna/Mackerel type fish on the hook and chucked about 40 yards but with a strong land wind soon saw the balloon blowing out to sea dragging the bait along with it, I stopped it at about 100yrds. After about 20 minutes the drag on my Diawa 600T was squealing and I was hooked into a better shark, after a few good runs I had a decent shark maybe 30lb-40lb in the surf it I was fishing alone, and trying to land a angry Shark and keep hold of the rod whilst trying to grab the shark by the tail, it rolled and tangled itself up in my braid and snapped it like cotton.. I was soon set up again and back into action with a few smaller sharks but still great fun..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ended the evening with 6 small sharks and one decent one lost...

Had a few days relaxing before having a look out boat fishing.. Boats were around 300 euro - 500 euro for the day, so it was a little expensive to hire it on your own, lucky a French chap had booked a boat and wanted someone to share the costs.. We fished about 2 mile out off Santa Maria and caught 7 Wahoo between us and tried for Marlin but with no luck.. Seen lots of Flying fish which were funny things leaping from the water then flying for 20 - 30 yards before diving back in...

[​IMG]

Lures were big.. :yes:

[​IMG]

Wahoo certainly put up a great fight.... :surprise:

We decided to book another trip with a good discount for the following day to go bait fishing we had loads of small Grouper and reef fish and I managed a good Amberjack which was awesome fun on light gear and took over 30 mins to land.

[​IMG]

Next evening decided a short session on the Sharks again, well it was supposed to be a short session but found the sharks in a feeding mood and landed 13 up to about 12lb.

locals were also fishing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well had a few days rest before trying again, and decided a change of scenery was due so got a Taxi to the East of the Island were I had seen much bigger Sharks in shallow water..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Baited up with these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Which were the best bait by far.. Waded up to my knees and I could see 6 or 7 good Sharks about 50 yrds out heart was pounding as these were biggies, the bait landed about 10 yards short but they soon turned and the big fins headed straight to it. Well what happened next was crazy drag was set and the Shark picked up the bait and headed off out to Sea like an express train, I could only stare at the ever decreasing level of 70lb braid which was whizzing from my reel, I tried to slow it with my hand against the spool but to no avail it spooled me and it was gone... Heart was pounding now and I was shaking as I put on a new reel and set back up... Same again I chucked my bait towards the pack of Sharks and within seconds I was in again. this time I put as much pressure as I dare to slow it down drag screwed down tight and I hung on and the "BANG" the tip of my Penn Affinity bust and the braid snapped.... That was enough for me, I was never going to land them sharks on this tackle so off to the hotel for an early shower... :angry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

[​IMG]

Well I had another session after Marlin in the boat but it wasn't me but the French chap who got the hook up and landed a fine Marlin but all was not lost as I got a big Dorado and another Wahoo..

[​IMG]

Well tried some more fishing from the rocks after I managed to do a botch job of fixing my rod.

[​IMG]

Went on to catch plenty of small Grouper, Red Mullet, Trigger fish, and lots of strange reef fish including this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all I can recommend the Cape Verde for a holiday, If sat round the pool all day is not for you there is plenty of fish to be caught.. Plus the climate is good to with very little rain fall and a pleasant all year round temperature..

Some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

People are very poor outside the main tourist spots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turtle Hatchery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Sharks caught on video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEPUtqHm6ow

Tightlines..

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

AWESOME report Gary!!

That looked like a proper fishing holiday, sun, sand and some stonking fish! That Wahoo looks like a power house, can't say the same for the puffer fish though :laugh: Deffo trip of a life time that one Gary, can only recommend you take some proper tackle next time for them sharks, should of had a word with Rupert :cheesy:

Thanks for sharing bud.

3. andym

andym Rockling

Superb report and pics Gary really enjoyed reading that thanks for sharing I managed to catch my first shark last year in Florida a small bonnethead they have an amazing turn of speed

4. congerball

congerball Blenny

Superb read Gary, really enjoyed that. Stunning photos and awesome fishing. The scenery is simply breathtaking. Well done mate

5. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cracking report that is Gary.

Great pictures and a good read, looks like you had an ace time !!

6. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

What a top quality report Gary a cracking read , superb fish , really good photos , my adrenalin was pumping just reading it , I could do with some of those
    challenges and would love to give it a go , once more very well done

7. rupert

rupert Blenny

Great read and report that Gary. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your adventure - some fantastic fish you had there. I've caught dorado before (but not that big) but never had a wahoo. Do they give long runs, or fight hard and deep?

Wish I'd known you were chasing sharks. I'd have gladly given you a wind on leader setup that would have prevented your braid wrapping on that big shark. Never mind, the offer is there for next time should you want one!

8. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

My oh My oh My, not seen a report of yours for ages but it was well worth waiting for Garry,
    superb story and first clas photographs to go with it as well,

wish you had landed one of those big ones mate , that would have been something special for you,
    many thanks for shareing that trip with us all .

9. halfprice

halfprice Owt For Nowt

brilliant report mate
    excellent pictures......

Reminds me of when i fished in the ascension islands(oh happy days)

10. fishysteve

fishysteve North West Donkers

great report and pictures, i have seen a few reports of shark fishing from the shore over there and have been thinking of a trip there instead of cuba next year, what island were you fishing from though ?

11. robq

robq Rockling

Ace report Gary :yes:

Looks like a lot better than the average holiday fishing !!

I think I need to plant the seed in our lasses head that the cape verdes would be a nice change from the canaries :whistle: :whistle:

12. Hairybeast

Hairybeast Blenny

simply awesome

13. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Quality report Gary,looks like you weren't kidding when you said you hoped to get a bit of fishing time while away :laugh: :laugh:

Some excellent fish mate well done.

I hadn't better let the wife see this report or she might smell a rat for our September holiday :scared:

P.S Did you check that crab to see if was a peeler, it would have lasted you all Winter

14. Merlin

Merlin Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

A graet read with good photo's, an excellent report

15. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello Gary,
    Fantastic report mate......now that's a holiday :yes: well done.

Regards Ian

16. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Amazing report and pics as always mate. Really enjoyed reading that, did you get to eat of the fish by any chance?

17. N.INGLIS 28.8

N.INGLIS 28.8 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Enjoyed that report Gary,great pics i bet your arms are dropping off...

18. speno

speno Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Wow now thats a fishing holiday makes our trips up the mull look a bit tame very good read as allways cheers.

19. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

you never let us down with your reports Gary! superb stuff. look sliek you had a great time and had some brilliant fishing sessions :yes:

20. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Great report and pictures Gary, I've just signed up to the K2 scheme so will be going there in September