1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

holderness kayak uptiding at easington

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by robq, Mar 18, 2009.

1. robq

robq Rockling

With the high pressure and light winds I decided to take the yak out for a few hours instead of the planned beach trip. With it being such a small tide I thought I would head for Easington to get some flow and have a paddle down towards Dimmo seeing as the area has been fishing so well recently.

Its a good launch site with low cliffs and a decent slipway for the small commercials that launch here. Free parking is about 20 yards from the slip so there is no need for the c-tug :happy:

I put out around 2 hours into the ebb and headed about 400 yards off and dropped anchor in 25 ft of water. There was a fair bit of run on so was pleased that my new lightweight anchor ( 0.7kg ) held firm 1st time :yes: Anyway after a biteless hour I decided to try a bit further out in 35ft of water where the water was a bit clearer. After another hour with 1 mop and a few missed bited I decided to have lunch on the beach and take a p**s !!

I noticed that there were a few boats anchored quite close in at Dimmo so thought that I would have a paddle over and have try there. one of the shelties was anchored in just 14ft of water around 120 yards out !! and they were casting back towards the shore :surprise: Just as I was getting my anchor ready one of them pulled in a codling :surprise:

[​IMG]

I was off to a slow start and it was around half an hour sat watching those guys hauling fish after fish aboard :whatever: :whatever: when I did get started it was a manic last 2 hours of the tide with another 7 fish landed :happy: biggest about 4lb

Unfortunately no fish pics as my battery was flat by the time I got back to the beach as I had left it switched on !! I have a few on my phone but cant download them as I cant find my nokia PC suite disc. I did get a few other pics including one of the shoals of fish showing on the sounder, this was just as the fishing really started.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

nice report Rob. What an absolutely perfect day to be out ont the yak! With you getting fish that close in its no wonder there have been some big bags from the shore there recently

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Sound's like a great Day Rob. Well done on the fish. I was well peed off this afternoon as I drove past the sea and saw it was like a mill pond. I bet next week when Im off work I wont get a single good day.

Summers not far away now though mate.

4. shammy

shammy New Member

well done rob i will be out in a few weeks if weather ok to give my scupper a good try out

5. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Was looking at this weekend Glenn but there might be a bit of swell to contend with if the forecast stays the same :vomit:

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah nice report rob and glad you got into some fish mate...., i too went by the sea at sandsend and redcar today glen , looked lovely didnt it ....im off next week too , was hoping to maybe try and get out in the yak this weekend if the seas good to me . i bet it gets up tho if thats the case may have to do abit of fishing and maybe dig out me tyres next week .... :ugly: :ugly:

7. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Well done nice report.

8. robq

robq Rockling

I couldnt believe the weather held for me for a change :surprise:

If it wasnt for the other boats out there I doubt I would have anchored that close in. There is a heavy clay gulley there that must hold the fish which were all full of crab :yes:

There was also a bloody huge seal working around me :surprise: at one point I nearly fell in when it did a huge swirl just under the surface about 5 ft away from the Yak !!

Hopefully the fish have packed in with the herring for now and will keep their heads down. There was plenty of fish there today

Shammy the holderness has great potential, especially some of the out of the way marks. with a few of you its easy to get down some of the cliffs :yes: Jellyman and I are hoping to really have a go at it this year including a few small wrecks !! You are welcome to join us anytime mate :yes:

9. newdave

newdave Guest

well done Rob, I have though for a while that it must be a better bet for you lads from Hull, when time is limited. i recon you get 4hours extra fishing compared to flamborough & at this time of year your chance of a decent fish down there must be high ?. just think with the fish only 120 yards offshore you lads have been casting over them from the beach :wink:

10. shammy

shammy New Member

that would be good thanks rob, a nice big smoothound on light gear.

11. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Well done Rob, great report and some good advice there, I would have probably gone way to far out. Was gutted myelf when I saw the weather but really getting my head down and getting some work out - that Dorado wll be mine some day :sad:

Ken

12. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Looks like you had a good day Rob, that's the beauty of fishing though it's that unpredictable at times, I actually thought about coming down that way today with the yak but realized I have no roof rack on the van :nerd:, the sea at Scarborough was like a mill pond this PM

13. robq

robq Rockling

Flamboro is not too bad Dave as it probably 50 mins for me but runswick and RHB etc are just too far for me really. I just want to try some different stuff this year and with such good sport on my doorstep with hounds, skate, bass and tope why do I need to travel ??

Used my spinning rod with 20lb braid and 3oz leads today shammy and the cod were great sport :yes: cant wait to get a tope on it :surprise:

I wa surprised at how close in they were ken but an old boy on the beach who was chucking 40 yards had one that was in probably less than 5ft of water so I suppose 120 yards and 14ft is a long way if you look at it from a shore anglers point of view :yes: Its definitely opened my eyes !!

14. adrenalin.

adrenalin. Blenny

well done rob.
    the blue sheltie is the daddy jeff,they had run down from brid.
    just been on the phone he had 22 codling and a load of whiting.
    mentioned that there was a yak near him.
    think im gonna start uptiding on adrenalin :embarrass:

15. macky

macky New Member

Did u drag any of the leads up i lost on sun rob? :)