1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holderness Kayak smoothound hunt

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, May 7, 2009.

1. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Had an easy afternoon at work and have been keenly watching the weather predictions. The sun came out this afternoon and the wind eased so very slightly.

Rang a local tackle shop to see if I could get hold of a bit of fresh peeler and he had some going spare. Within the hour I was loaded and heading off down towards Dimlington. I'ld heared some great stories this last week of smoothounds, thornies and bass coming out down this way.

Got to the launch point and it was a little fun getting down the cliff but definately do-able, it took a few trips to get everything down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sea was flat with just the one small wave breaking, the wind had eased just a little as predicted, I had no intention of going far as the forecast was not good, I'ld heared the best fishing had been done very close in but there was the chance of bagging up on the smutts if you could get just inside the colour line.

[​IMG]

Launched and paddled out a few hundred yards, it soon became obvious that to go any further would be foolish and it became very lumpy from there on, came back in to a reasonably comfortable area and dropped anchor, think it was in about 17 foot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I intended to fish with conventional uptiding gear, 6 oz leads, running ledgers, 3/0 Mantas with a 1/0 circle hook on the pennel, I'ld brought crab, squid, black lug and a bit of frozen mackerel fillet.

First drop I had a good bite on the crab rod, just a little dissapointed to find it was a 2lb cod, I was keen to get a smut or a thorny for league points.

[​IMG]

So disgusted i let it go to swim another day, got plenty in the freezer at the mo.

Well anyway I gave it a damn good go, at one point the wind eased enough and I actually got out to the colour line but only hung about for long enough for one chuck, the gusts soon got up making it rather uncomfortable again. I tried close in, along a little under the wind turbines but alas bites were very few and far between.

Finally as the light started to fade I decided to come in as close as I dare, the tide was now three hours on the ebb and pulling through quite well, a good bit of swell had now started to form and was breaking on the beaches' I anchored again in about 10 foot of water, about 60 yards off the beach, any closer and i could have been taken over in breaking waves. I'ld heard some bass had been caught close in on the previous couple of tides. I chucked crab baits towards the beach and bailed out plenty of line for the bit of tide to take up the slack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wind had started to whip up again and the sun was due to dip behind the cliffs, last chance saloon.

I got a good bite on the crab rod, I tightened into it and felt a reasonable fish.

Gutted, another small cod of less than 3 pounds and in not more than 6 foot of water.. chucked the little begger back, didn't want to carry anything up that cliff that wasnt necessary.

[​IMG]

Well time to call it a day, I paddled out to a bit more water for one very final chuck and to stow away gear and to to get ready for the landing.

Time for a quick photo of the sun set behind the turbines...

[​IMG]

Fortunately timed it right and paddle in between breaking waves.

A lot of work to get all the gear back up the cliffs, not my most fave moment climbing back up with the Elite on my back but managed it and will certainly do it again.

[​IMG]

No smutts, no thornies and no bass and no league points but there is always the weekend and it certainly beats working :happy:

Back home, kit is all away, washed and drying, something to eat and a small vodca and fresh orange before bed, just noticed the wind whipping down the chimney, its certainly got back up again, lets hope it eases for the weekend

Ken

2. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice photos and report Ken, thanks :happy:
    Ian.

3. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well done ken, nice report and fantastic pictures

4. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

That was a canny read Ken, :yes: shame you didn't get a bass for you troubles,better luck next time ,I think i fished the mark behind the gas works about ten year back in the withensea open ,after getting a few whiting i moved on about 100 yards and ,another bloke jumed straight in and low and behold he pulled the wining fish out , :surprise: a cod of around 6lb , mind you i wouldn't fancy hauling a kayack up and down those slippy clay cliffs,its bad enough with a rucksack up and down boulby :scare: anyway good luck for the wekend,that goe's for all you kayack lads.Tight lines HARRY :cool:

5. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

You`re so lucky to live near the extreme angling locations Ken, shame you didn`t get your hook into a smoothie but well done on the cod mate. Nice pics, could you have got the van a bit closer.

6. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

well done Ken I'm surprised anyone was out giving the wind we had yesterday.

Did you not think about launching at easington?

7. go go gadget

go go gadget Rockling

well done ken, nice couple of fish

tightlines

8. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Thanks guys,

I thought about Easington mate but had it on good authority that smutts and thornies had come off that bit of beach earlier in the week prior to the tides building. I just wanted to get in and out, the wind was whipping along, almost turned completely south for a while, to fish that mark it would have been hard work going back to the launch point at Easington later on. Thought the taller cliffs may have given me a bit of protection but once your more than 50 yards from them any protection was neglible.

Dieing to get back there tho, could see there was a lot of rods in the distance towards Out Newton, I wonder if they caught? Be much nicer in less wind so your not getting battered about so much tho. One thing with there though is, although there was still a little bit of exposed sand further up just a few hundred metres away, at high water you would not be able to get off as it was crashing on the cliffs at that point, you would have to wait an hour or so for the ebb.

Ken