1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hobie Kayaks For Fishing - Can you tell me....?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by dutch fisherman, Aug 10, 2008.

1. dutch fisherman

dutch fisherman New Member

I've noticed that a lot of people from the United Kingdom and Ireland don't use Hobie kajaks but other sorts of brands. Is there a reason for that (quality, price and so on)? I'm very curious what your reasons and thoughts are about this! Please let me know. I'm looking forward to your reactions...

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: Can you tell me....?

Hi Dutch fishermen

Welcome to the forum. A hobbie kayak is something I have never heard of. Is this a kayak manufacturer you use over in Holland ?

Your topic is an interesting one and one I was discussing just the other days. I think it all boils down to ocean Kayaks publicity and business plan. Ocean Kayak are very visible both in the shops and on the internet. They are the only manufacturers who have press releases etc and keep us up to date on what is available. They are high profile in the UK with the help of Johnstons outdoors whilst the other kayak manufacturers seem to hide in the shadows.

Having said that we are just beginning to learn that there are other makes of kayaks and quite possibly other kayaks of very good quality. Some of the lads on the forum just bought Kaskazi kayaks and seem more than happy with them.

Do you kayak fish in Holland and if so what species do you target and where. Have ou any pictures to share with us :happy: :happy::happy:

3. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Hobie kayak Glenn same manufacturer/designer that brought out the Hobiecat catamaran a number of years ago. The hobie range include the ones with the pedal driven propulsion system.

[​IMG]

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Just been viewing their website. It is quite interesting and they do have a larger presence on the net away from the UK and a better pr than the johnstons outdoors site. They are more visible in google.com than google.co.uk which is possibly why we dont see more of these kayaks.

5. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Had a nosey myself Glenn, price-wise they seem expensive compared to the house of Johnson and even Kamikazi (Simon will kill me for that) but the propulsion system on one of them looks fun :happy: .

Were do you fish Dutch Fisherman? We use to holiday every year on the Dutch coast, all around Zeeland, some lovely fishing to be had from what I remember.

Ken

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah some good fishin over holland like ..... :tease: :tease:

7. Dorado

Dorado New Member

The reason Hobie are not so prolific over here is that they are prone ot windage due to their height above the water and they are actually a bit squirrely in a wave - we need more seaworthy kayaks than the Yanks do.

The propulsion system us very innovative and actually works quite well, but only forwards. To go astern or manoever you still need a paddle, or a LOT of room! I tested one for the magaizine a couple of years ago, it was very nicely moulded, the fittings were good, but the whole plot is not really suited to rough water. The pedal system drops in, cartridge style, so you could just paddle if you wanted to. If you are looking at one of these then then the 16 foot Revolution is the one to go for. The smaller Outback is fine for inland and sheltered waters - be fine on the canals, lakes and polders, but you wouldn't want it in the flow under the bridge by the power station run out..... :no: Nor would oyu like it in the surf zone - very unstable in a wave and totally uncontrallable with that tiny little tiller arm for the steering. In sheltered or calm water, no problem at all. The European distributor actually wants me to supply him with our sail rigs, but I am having trouble finding aluminium tube the right dimensions to fit his mast step...Imperial as oppsoed to metric!

8. cps

cps Rockling

pm me with tube sizes i use both metric and english , presume you want 5083 marine grade

9. Dorado

Dorado New Member

Chris, my brother is a non-ferrous metal merchant and stockholder....but the tube needs to be in Cape Town, not UK :cry: Otherwise it would be easy. We can get metric...but imp is a different story and the Hobie, being built in USA is 1", we use 30mm. :surprise: