1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitting bites with braid

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by craig t, Oct 10, 2012.

1. craig t

craig t Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Is there a knack to it I seem to be missing a canny amount of bites didn't seem to have the problem with the mono.

2. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I usually strike, hold the rod up in the air and keep the line tight, u should be able to feel the fish, if u dont just put it back down the fish will come back

3. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

Be patient

4. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

i never really strike with braid or mono. wind down and feel for the fish pulling away(not just biting) and lift smoothly but firmly and wind at the same time

5. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Definatly agree with Lawsey

6. Bcawth

Bcawth Blenny

After fishing with braid I find it much easyer to hit bites than with mono. I normally strike and hold the rod up to feel for the fish before winding in

Ben

7. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

:yes:

8. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

Then say fuking hell I should of hit that when it doesn't come back ha ha

9. craig t

craig t Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Patience not one of my best virtues and I definitely used a few expeletives last night.

10. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

Ha Ha and when you think its fuked off and as soon as you stand the rod back up its there again

11. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

when i 1st made the shift from mono to braid i was hitting the bites too early as the bite looked so positive, wouldnt change back now...................

12. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Trouble with the swith to braid is it takes time to adjust, the directness of braid means that the once timid taps of rockling and pouts from mono now appear like positive cod takes when they are not, 99% of cod don't mess about when take your bait

13. robq

robq Rockling

As soon as you see the bite try and give a bit of slack if you can ( conditions allowing )

Let the bite develop and the fish eat the bait :yes:

I only lift into the fish when I can feel it riving about and pulling constantly for say more than 5 seconds

14. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

:educated:

15. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

Smoothly does it. Just take in the slack then steady winding, no need to strike.
    Cheers Col.

16. ijakk

ijakk Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thats what I found when i switched, a tiny dab bite can look like something much bigger.