1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High tide marks

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Haka007, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Haka007

Haka007 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Better Than All The Rest!

Hi could anyone recommend a decent high tide mark, im thinking of planning a trip for either 31st March or 1st April. I would like to try out a cliff mark but have no experience on that type of fishing so would have to go suss out any suggestions.
    I dont mind a bit of a walk/trek from car park either just would be worried about the security of the car.
    So any suggestions would be much appreciated thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

2. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Also, does anybody know the length of a piece of string?

3. Haka007

Very helpful

4. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Hello mate. Can not advice u really but the cliffs at sand send are easy to fish, as said I have little experience up there but others do..please can I say that fishing the cliffs alone is only for people who know the area. Someone will help u out but please don't go alone mate it is just not worth it imo

5. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

could try any where around hayburn wyke

6. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

SEEN EM ON SANDSEND CLIFFS BRAVE LADS TRIED IT ONCE NOT FOR ME I PREFER CARPARK

7. lipslicker

We can only help if you help us.
    What fish are you after?
    What rod/reels have you got?
    Vaguely, where are you heading? Within 25 miles would help. You could be going to Mull for all I know!
    What baits do you prefer using? There is no point sending you to a mark where only peeler catches if you are using rag worm.

If you don't have a good rock rod and reel, you are wasting your time fishing Bempton.

8. Haka007

Slicklips your obviously more knowledgeable in fishing than me. Would u like to know what I had for breakfast too? I was after a couple of suggestions for marks or advice to plan a session which I have got off the other comments, thanks guys.

9. Haka007

Besides if I told u what fish im after u would only say too early dont bother no matter what fish I wanted

10. Boro5707

Boro5707 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Saltburn pier, with sandeel or mackerel might through up a surprise over high tide mate. Not much about at this time of year. Up in Scotland so don't know what the sea is like over that side of the coast currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Beach at Upgang? I don't know the place but would have thought you'd be right over high tide? Someone will put you right mate, if sea's not too heavy go beach, if there's some decent sea on go sandsend cliffs and fish it down, have a look about in daylight first if you're unfamiliar with the spots, and use the search function on here to find some more info out! Car fine in both spots, you will need a lot heavier gear for the cliffs than the beach though

12. Supersonic

There's actually a topic on Upgang beach further down the topic list, high water seems to be the right time. I'd hope for a little bit of movement and give it a go there, presuming you have standard beach gear :)

13. lipslicker

Asking what rod and bait you had was pertinent. As was asking what you wished to catch.
    But, no, it is not necessary to know what you had for breakfast, though surprisingly it can help in certain tides.
    And, it is definitely not too early for fishing. Loads about.

Sandsend was good advice, but better with a lure rod. Mackerel are in at the moment. If you can, use a boom and fish two small dexters at the same time, that is best. You are almost guaranteed a catch.
    Good luck.

14. Supersonic

Just ignore Lipslicker, I'm sure once again he just lacks the tact to make a point inoffensively. It is good practice to mention what sort of gear you've got when asking for advice like this though :) I don't think it takes a genius to figure out you'll be fishing the Whitby area. Good luck with it

15. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

You wont find a much easier / safer cliff mark than Sandsend Cliffs , wether it be back of the sewer hole, high cliff , rabbit holes , even the top of the world the slope is taking you landwards , bernies is ok , all these places give a better chance of getting fish than the car park, its handy but when you have said that you have said the lot

16. Haka007

Thanks for all the advice guy's however I think I over reacted to lipslicker (sorry). Anyway I have decided to give Sandsend cliffs a shot. Ill probably have a drive down at the weekend see where my area of attack will be. Thanks again!

Edit: P.s I will be using afaw 6 n bait with a sl30sh got squid n lug in freezer. I will see about getting me some crab and fresh worms too thanks

17. Supersonic

Don't disregard the beach if there's not much sea on ;)

18. lipslicker

Hi Haka,
    Your sorry accepted.
    :)
    Sandsend cliffs are wonderful to fish from, and you might get lucky.
    Depending on swell when you get there, fish either towards Whitby if SE or into small bay if NE. And don't forget 'rotten bottoms', as is rough ground.
    If it is a sunny day, you will hardly care if you blank. One of my favourite spots just to sit and watch the world go by.
    Good luck.

19. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Hey up Kev , you have changed your avatar

20. Supersonic

Hello mate, yeah the old one wasn't showing anymore for some reason!