1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Help with kayak buy

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by marlin2, Feb 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. marlin2

marlin2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi I've been offered a wilderness tarpon 100 new fully equipped with hobby out riggers, stabilization floats carbon paddle, sail the list goes on. Are they ok or too short I have a sib setup but this sounds a good buy, some advice please from you experienced guys , ok i am 61 soon but still feel as young as dan in my mind but not my body , I am not giving up yet ,tight lines and best of luck to all who are fishing the European open. Ian.

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Hi Ian, I would say a little bit too short for the open sea, plus you don't really need outriggers, floats etc . I'd look for something at a minimum 12ft , preferably 13ft +

3. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

4. marlin2

Hi thanks for your reply I just felt they will stop me capsizing and give me some more stability. I've never used a yack Before I was going to use it on the sea so I will think gain. Cheers Ian.

5. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

you dont need outriggers get used to the stability of the kayak, practise falling off and getting back on, you'll pick it up in no time. Find someone in your local area to go with and try and get on a safety course, there is usually one at the Runswick match in june/july

6. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

I remember when Scrumpy Rob fell out in the bristol Channel. Next time I saw his post he had outriggers. Mind he was hard core that lad. Wouldnt find me sat in the middle of the bristol channel on my own at Midnight.

7. marlin2

I've been at Runswick for the last two years when the Kayak match was on some long sit on yaks but allso Some short stuby one's. ( like me ) I watched the Kayak coaching, Was very impressed and he gave out some free rigs to the lads that took part .