1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Required on sounders.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Mop The Hoople 2, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Could any of the "small" inshore boat users

assist in what type of sounder to buy as were replacing existing sounder

present one is a Navman Fish 4431.

it is now discontinued, new stern transducer required @ £70 if we can find one.

A marine company has recommended a Lowrence Elite 4x HDI, suitable for what

we require at a price that makes purchasing a transducer (if we can get one)

not very cost effective.

any other thoughts/recommendations from you all

ie willybendit, bry carragher etc who post about small boat issues from time to time.

no wasps about at present so, may be right time to ask.

many thanks.

2. smokey

smokey Rockling

We had the elite 5xdsi on the cat for potting bri.
    I couldn't fault it for marking the hard inside,quite detailed and clear, the one thing i will say is if it's the down scan imaging bit that's drawing you in,look elsewhere cause it's sh1te, but as a stand alone sounder it's a decent bit of kit, i have a 4xdsi still in the box which came with my tinny, the screen is small but it does the same as its big brother.
    I reckon you should spend a bit more and invest in an olex system :D ;)

3. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

ive a Garmin 178c Plotter / sounder for sale comes with local blue chart B new power lead & Transducer inbuilt Antenna so all you need to do to get it working to join the + & - to a battery transducer on the back and off you go unit is loaded with wrecks and Ground marks from South shields to spurn point 07932 394971

4. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Don't think you can go far wrong with most the common units, Lowrance,garmen, ray marine etc.Now comes the hard part deciding exactly what you want it to do! The amount of options is pretty wide as is the price difference, so really it will boil down to budget and what you will use it for. I've spent the last couple of months trolling thro technical data and comparison reports on most the sounders on the market before making my mind up, for me screen size was quite important part of it.

5. Mop The Hoople 2

for me screen size was quite important part of it.

I agree, sizing of screen can be misleading, some fall into actual

measurement across the screen diagonal & not actual flat screen.

thanks for replies, will be considering options.

Martin,

one of your lines was re-furbished with new hooks, had a lot of fun

using it when we could get out, last shot just ended up from rock edge

too far onto soft hence too many big whiting.

main reason for upgrade , need to plot bottom as you do potting ,

transducer u/s, gps can get you nearly onto the mark, but not as

accurate.

again many thanks to all.

6. smokey

smokey Rockling

If screen size is a consideration bri, forget the 4xdsi, the screen is tiny, the 5xdsi is the one with the "average" size screen

7. rupert

rupert Blenny

Not the latest Raymarines, but I have two of these A65's rigged up on my boat. Use one as a sounder and basic navigation info and the other as a chartplotter. The only problem is that the chartplotter doesn't quite run in real time and there is an annoying delay of about 3 seconds, which doesn't sound much, but means pinpointing a wreck first time is tricky. Setting up track showing the drift makes it easier to find second time round, but its something I will check out when these units are replaced one day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Mop The Hoople 2

If screen size is a consideration bri, forget the 4xdsi, the screen is tiny, the 5xdsi is the one with the "average" size screen

Cheers, actually physically looking at the screen is a lot better than on sites etc.

hope to meet up with a forum member who has kindly got in touch to look at his set up etc.

many thanks to bri

will say is if it's the down scan imaging bit that's drawing you in,

until I viewed a couple of demonstrations on you tube I have to agree it does excite you

with the possibility of following the scars/runs etc inside but,

we don't want to come across a ww 2 wreck/mary rose etc !!! a bit hyped up for me.

standard marks/fish etc will do on screen, but your right, I can see its attraction

to others etc.

Rupert,

just like your set up we used to use our garmin gps next to the sounder but it became

discontinued & we needed it repaired to no avail, so we just use our hand held gps with

the marks x-feered onto it.

again many thanks for advice etc etc.

9. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

remember this Rupert waste of time you having two plotter / sounders your always in the land of NOD

Attached Files:

10. Spawney-Dave

Spawney-Dave Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Have you checked if the ping rate can be adjusted ? reason I ask is the last firmware update on my Lowrance increased the rate and so gives a quicker refresh. A great feature on the lowrance is you can scroll back in the sonar history and waypoint features so even if you went over the wreck too fast to mark it you can pinpoint the position :)

11. rupert

rupert Blenny

No wonder my boat was leaning to port. That was when I was in 'show condition' around 20 stone!

12. rupert

rupert Blenny

Have you checked if the ping rate can be adjusted ? reason I ask is the last firmware update on my Lowrance increased the rate and so gives a quicker refresh. A great feature on the lowrance is you can scroll back in the sonar history and waypoint features so even if you went over the wreck too fast to mark it you can pinpoint the position :)

Cheers, Dave. Even though they are quite old units now, there are loads of different menus and options, so I will have a try and see if I can do just that. Would be brilliant if I can.

13. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

this is the sounder i have for sale

Attached Files:

14. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

just a few of the wrecks and marks i fish all the marks are in both chartplotters

Attached Files:

• 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
  15. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Any thoughts on sounders yet?

16. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cheers for letting us look at your set up Bri

very informative & helpful .

great advice etc.

17. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

That'll be a Lowrance you're getting then ;) 8)

18. brian carragher

I think so

19. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

That'll be a Lowrance you're getting then

I think so

so do I, thanks for all advice/imput etc to all contributers.

just have to sort transom out ready for transducer.

20. brian carragher

Did you get fixed up with a unit then ?