1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello, anyone else on here spearfish? And a little yak advice.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Tim in Yorkshire, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Tim in Yorkshire

Tim in Yorkshire Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello,

I thought I'd sign up here as I've just started spearfishing, something to do when the surf is flat and I'm not out paddling on my surf boards. Only been out a couple of times up here so far at Recar and Kettleness, no real success yet, but still good fun. I got a few more shots off whilst on holiday in Brittany, but still failed to actually hit anything. Does anyone else do this? Any tips appreciated - I'm still working on holding my breath.

I'm also thinking of getting a basic Yak of some type to get between spearfishing points. What's the difference bewteen cheap basic stuff like a fatyak Kaafu and some of the more expensive Ocean Kayaks? and going slightly off topic does anyone also use their yak for playing about in the surf? - I thought it could be good for friends who haven't mastered the art of standing up on a board.

Anyway if you see me bobbing about somewhere in the North Sea be sure to wave.

Tim

2. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi and welcome to the forum. Iv not heard of any 1 spear fishing on here but i do know the lads at denny diving in redcar do it im sure if you called in they could give you advice. As for the yak iv got the ocsan kayak p13 its a good stable platform for fishing off but for messing about in the surf id say something a littls shorter thats wasier to manover.

If you speak to bassyken, yakkin fi or stonefish on here they would be able to recomend a good kayak for playing in the surf

Cheers scotty

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Welcome to the forum, as Scotty said there is a chap at Denny's that goes spear fishing and does ok apprantly. I'll stick to my kayak though thanks :cheesy: Be worth speaking to Fiona at 1st Wet n Wild http://www.1stwetwild.co.uk/ as I'm sure she'll have a yak in stock that would be suitable for your needs.

4. Tim in Yorkshire

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've had a chat to Chris at Denny Diving, and got my gear off him too, very helpful, although he does most of his off the Redcar scars. I was just looking for any other possible good spots, I guess I just need to go out and explore.

Does anyone know where I can get current info for the Yorkshire coast (Whitby to the Tees really) and how it changes with tide? Flippering against a current is pretty hard work!

5. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Tide table for Whitby here http://www.pol.ac.uk/ntslf/tides/?port=0174 Tees will be about 30mins earlier compared to Whitby times.

Obviously your best times would be during slack water, worth noting that tide will still be running maybe an hour after the stated slack time. Sometimes 2.5hrs after on small tides.

6. stonefish

stonefish Any fool can criticise , complain and most fool do

i looked at spear guns for fishing :happy:
    its looks like a accident waiting to happan for me so did not get one

i dunno what type of kayak you want the scupper pro is menna be good for spear fishing and diving
    are you diving or trying to shoot fish from above the water

if you were shooting them from the kayak id say ya want a stable platform with some were to stow ya weapon
    i know that light is bent when water is there so you need to accont for refreaction if you shoot them from above

there are some very cheap sit on top kayaks that would do the job but the better one always cost more
    i gotta fat yak surf for playing in the surf its cheap and stable you are welcome to have a go

fi had a simliar kinda yak in wet and wild
    but they are toys more than proper capable kayaks like a scupper

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Haha, I could just see you shooting yourself in the foot. :wink: :laugh:

8. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

and we have seen plenty of people do that Alex with a speargun would be like a blind man crossing the M1

9. Tim in Yorkshire

I'll be snorkelling/free diving (once I get some depth abilities whilst holding my breath!), so the yak would just be getting to and from places with just a speargun, flippers, my weight belt and blow up buoy so I don't get run over. I'll already be in my wetsuit, so don't mind a fair amount of splashing etc. Thanks for the suggestions so far. Out of interest what is the fat yak build quality like?

10. Tim in Yorkshire

And a silly question, but do bright yaks scare the fish away?

11. webbo

webbo New Member

My yak is on e bay ocean kayak scrambler xt

12. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

No mate deffo not. When pollock fishing alot of them will take the jelly worm right next to the yak

13. Tim in Yorkshire

[​IMG]

Just waiting for some viz and flat seas!

[​IMG]