1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

heaviest bag

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Maxie, May 24, 2007.

1. Maxie

Maxie New Member

just had a look on fileys website and in the 70s their heaviest bag was a back breaking 61lb of fish. :eek:
    whats the heaviest bag youve weighed in a match,mine was 34lb of codlings about four years back in a club match and i got beat into second by a38lb bag.thats the only one ive had in the 30s but ive had a few 20+ bags.

2. prof tench

prof tench Guest

5oz 5-bearded rockling in a paper boy's match at Hornsea in the 70's but I didn't weigh it in as they said at the start fish would have to be over 8oz to count. My brother had one too and they were the only fish caught. They ran it again later but I was too old to qualify for the match then.

I am expecting at least 100lb at Upgang though, having tied up several hundred of Ramrod's Halibut special rig. As I know these big flatties grow huge, I shall only need one, won't I?!

T

3. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Hi Maxie mine is the The Red Lion match which was just short of 40lb. The year before that I had 4 bags between 30 and 40lb all of which were in matches from different venues, Boulby, Ravenscar, Hayburn Wyke and Bempton, the latter was in June. I don,t pleasure fish much now but I had a lot of fish at Filey Brigg one night but put nearly all of them back so I don,t know the weight but it was a lot.

4. Steve

Steve Rockling

28lb of tings in three hours. i was beeten into 2nd place also. a bag of 29lb of tings off brid pier

5. Maxie

Maxie New Member

it must have been hectic 29lb of whitings

6. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

;D ;D ;D I wonder if we,ll get to fish ;D

7. Maxie

Maxie New Member

they are good bags for opens ramrod when there is more folk fishing the marks ,dont think ive had over 15 in an open ???

8. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Cause i only started fishing about 5months back my biggest bag was 15 pound 11oz to win heaviset catch of season for my club

9. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

One was a club match and one other was in a night league match, but the others were in opens. I also had a big bag this Sunday ;D

10. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Big bags all round haha ;D

11. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

i might have a big bag this saturday night ::)

12. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Highly likely.

--------------------------------------------------------
    I think Maxie's bag is rather special as he fishes the west coast which is an area I never thought of as being great for cod. How wrong I was

My heaviest bag that I actually weighed was 5 fish for 30 pound exactly from Runswick and contained my heaviest fish of 14 and a half pounds. I also lost another double close to the edge the same night (no point thinking of what might have been).

As for pleasure fishing I would have to estimate weights. I love telling these stories. Me and me old mate Les Mcguire (lobbers knows him well) fished Rail hole one night about 10 years ago now. We fished at Saltwick first and never had a bite. We saw this light head onto Whitby scars but knowing Les wasnt so good on his pegs we waited 45 mins untill we could get there safely without having to wade around the ledges. When we got their we found out the light was Neil Isherwood (some of the Whitby lads will know him) "have you got out Neil" we asked. Not a sniff came the reply with a few expletives thrown in. Me and Les baited up (we were experimenting with little calamari squid baits that night and both put one on). We cast in one at the left and one at the right of Neil. Within Seconds Les' rod shot forward and he was into a fish around 4 pounds then instantly mine did the same. We were into fish constantly for most of the time we were there. I would estimate I had around 50 pounds and Les had around 40. Neil Isherwood never had a bite (just shows the difference bait can make). I think that was possibly my best ever night but we did used to put some hours in back then. I would often go out on an evening and not go home to dawn the next day. I also had a session at Goldsbrough and had 26 pound of gutted fish when I got home. Had a good session last winter too at RHB catching 14 or 15 fish one night and returning the lot.

Had a lot of top sessions with Mikefish to at the Bay. One time we used to fish every Friday night together down untill the early hours and Mike was the man to beat. He just had the knack of catching the most when we fished there.

Just to finish off the earlier Story about Whitby scars. The following March I went back onto Whitby scars and Neil Isherwood was there. He managed 4 good fish and I never got a bite. I moaned and moaned and moaned and Neil turned around laughing and said now you know what it feels like.

13. prof tench

prof tench Guest

Good stuff there Bob, my mate who has the boat on the Blackwater in Essex gets baby squid in 25lb blocks from Lowestoft and rates them for pretty much everything with fins. I think he even prefers them to hermits for the hounds down there. These are about half to a third the size of the normal calamari you get in the 'Seawave' or 'Ocean Angel' boxes.

Did you score consistently on them or was this a one off? As I'm hoping to do a bit north of Brid' this winter I'd be interested to know as I'm not sure I can source much crab? Also, is mussel still rated up your way, as it was the main bait when I was a kid?

Cheers, T

14. Baramundi Bob

I havent used them so much in recent times prof. But once you get into November on the rocks they can be a useful bait especially if you struggle to get hold of other bait. Plus they usually sort you out a good fish. I think Lobbers likes to use squid from time to time.

15. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Ive never actually come round too using squid on the rocks judging by that it is worth a try ;D

Dan

16. Maxie

Maxie New Member

ive never caught much on squid but two lads i know had 8 cod to 4lb in march to mackerel baits,they werent getting a touch on fresh crab,its a strange game at times,one of these regularly gets codlings on mackerel ive seen him do it.

17. Dav

Dav Rockling

A couple of seasons ago i went to hummersea scaurs, there was a lad fishing down there whod had nothing unfortunatly for him ,he was using full calamari stuffed with lug , which is a good bait to use, , but obviously he was doin somthing wrong , my first cast with about 8 lug worm on produced a 8.5lb red cod , then second cast had 5lb ,then on and on finished with about 5 or 6 cod between 4lb and 8lb , when i got home i guted them , and in a couple of the fish were full calamari squid stuffed with lug ;D ;D ,i was amazed......it seemed to fish well at the time the night before ,produced cod upto 9lb ,, i love that place.....

18. mikefish

mikefish Blenny

Glen,there was also that night down saltick when rambo got his donkey,
    the fish were coming out that night thick and fast and most were of a good stamp.
    I always seem to catch out of a club night and never on a club night :'(
    my heaviest bag in the club is 18 pound doubled that on many nights pleasure fishing.

19. Steve

Steve Rockling

as ror my 29lb bag of tings. things could of been better if i hadnt been playing with the dog aswell.
    every fish was of size. three at a time. there was even one of over 1.5lb. what would i have caught if i had been consentrating

20. Baramundi Bob

Bridlington Steve ?