1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have People Stopped Posting Catch Reports ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 3, 2010.

1. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

2. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

3. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

4. Woodys Dad

Woodys Dad New Member

I havent posted many catch reports this season basically because I havent caught much . My last decent cod I caught on November 5th . Since then, try as I might, it has been pretty miserable and in my view quite depressing reading .
    However for what it's worth I have caught a decent size flounder, a small rockling and two undersize codling in the past couple of weeks from Runswick . Hopefully next season will prompt more exciting stuff as I do like sharing my experiences with everyone on here , and likewise look forward to other peoples reports .

5. Dav

Dav Rockling

I havent been out sinse the x mas time ,im keen to get out now tho , its been to long .....

6. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

I know what you mean glenn. In the mills club there all good lads. And willing to help if they can. Working at bills i been told so much about marks ect and everything about fishing its more than my pie filled brain can handle. Lol. I am just lucky glenn there lads are willing to take i learner fishing when there fishing match like mole man did last year in the filey fest.

7. bucko

bucko New Member

Haven't been out since January- maybe foolishly but I simply haven't had the motivation.
    Is it strange that during that time all the boat and plugging gear has been organised to a military level of perfection??? :embarrass:

8. Maxie

Maxie New Member

Ive got to admit i do often wonder why theres never any match reports on here,with the amount of lads fishing clubs and opens yet theres hardly ever anything on.
    I used to put a few match reports on myself but they werent of as much interest to the lads fishing the east coast as local reports would be.

9. robq

robq Rockling

This issue of posting catch reports and how much info to reveal in that report will ALWAYS be an emotive topic, with posters sat firmly on each side of the fence !! we have been here several times before on here and many other times on the current and previous holderness sites.

Whilst never usually being one for sitting on the fence I find it dificult to decide which is right or wrong :crazy: and can really see valid opinions on both sides !!

I can relate to what Iain says about coming across as a clever git !! If you have a good session and write a good report with pics but leave out the exact location then you usually come in for stick for being selfish and with holding info.

If you do reveal the location then you get stick from others who say that you have ruined a spot for the next week !! This is often a valid argument as some remote locations are sensitive with parking problems and private access.

On a forum this size its impossible to please everybody all of the time !! I think the best we can hope for is that people respect each others choice to reveal as much information as they choose, but I doubt that this will ever happen :sad:

One thing is for certain though, if nobody posts interesting information to read then the site will slowly die a death and I'm sure that nobody wants that !!

I personally have not fished the rock since xmas and have had a very poor year so really have had nothing to post on here, but hope to start taking a few pics and writing a few reports once the crabs start to moult.

10. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

The clubs are very secretive. It seems less so on Holderness with all the clubs posting on the site. Infact they thank you for giving them the space to do so.

11. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

hi jellyeorm

i would always say what i feel to your face, its not a case of hiding behind a keyboard

the way i read and interpreted your post was, if your not going to put a decent post up then why should i? which i feel is abit strange because your posts always create a posative response and encourage anglers to actually put abit of effort in to go fishing.

the way you were banging on about novices fishing the beaches not knowing how to fish them. thats what places like this are for. why dont you enlighten them rather than winge that there there?

the quote : "I still use this forum and learn from it and have contributed more than lurked in the background " may put people with less posts than you off from asking questions or putting reports up that are worthless because all of the major posters already know what they are going to post

i for one will be the first to adimt that i have learnt more than i have contributed to the forum. i would have never ventured onto the scar with a plug, i wouldnt have purchased a yak and i wouldnt have targeted pollock with jelly's if i hadent trolled trhough the archives for hours looking for the info i needed.

this is just how i feel and i dont mean to offend but if i do then so be it, i wont lose any sleep over it

12. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Dan.........in your post you came out all guns blazing without really considering what I d written......go back and actually open your eyes and read what i posted.....I didn't whinge about them being there....I said that i wasn t going to post where i caught fish so that the venue could then be rammed with anglers who didn t have a clue.....no where did it say they shouldn t be there.

I also never said or as you put it went "banging on"... " you don t post so neither am I"

I said it was a shame more people don t go to the trouble of putting together a decent report ....a very different point than your interpretation.

Maybe read a post, and I mean really read it, before you jump in guns blazing directing personal responses.....you might find as you go through life if you don't it might just bite you ! All my comments were generalised and not aimed at anyone and if you disagree then come back with why.....I doubt you fish the beaches enough to really have an informed opinion....just as I won't argue over the rock bass fishing or the kayak uptiding because I don't enough of it so haven t got the experiences to voice a genuine opinion.

Did you offend me...yes...will you lose any sleep....no neither will I son.

All the best.

13. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

QUOTE: I think there is a reluctance to give too much away because the beaches do get completely rammed with ......dare I say it......some right numpties...who can t fish tide, don t know how to cast,haven t a clue about rigs ........and so why should any angler.....who has put a lot of hard work in digging bait at midnight, scratching about for crab in the seasons we don t get em......give away where he has caught fish to those who do nothing in return

QUOTE: I said that i wasn t going to post where i caught fish so that the venue could then be rammed with anglers who didn t have a clue

yes i dont fish the beaches but if i ever were and wanted abit of helpful guidance and i saw this posted, then i would really think "would i really want to be on a beach if all the anglers seemed as intimidating as this?" especially if it was a part of angling new to me.

i bet there was a point in your life when you didnt know anything about a subject and had to ask for help

...and you can only put a decent post together if you have an eventfull trip or have something which can be of benifit to other anglers. alot of the lads including me on here will be using the same techniques, rigs, baits and venues from on the forum which they have learnt from a single post on here. whats the point of repeating it over and over if you have nothing extra to add? its just a waste of time

14. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Dan you re missing the point completely .....I haven t posted I wouldn t help with rigs, I haven t said I wouldn t help people out with most things.....I said I wasn t going to say where I ve been catching fish during the winter .....just as the vast majority of club anglers won't !

Did I ever need help of course I did and still do everyday is a day to learn......you still are reading what you want to read not what it actually says. Stop go back set your opinions of me to one side and just re read what I posted.......it says that I won t give away where I ve caught fish.

Will I help out...the hours spent on the beach helping people improve their casting...yes I do. The posts of rigs the photo articles all show Dan that I am only too willing to help.....but my point which you are missing is that I won t give away where I caught fish to find that spot rammed with people who haven t a clue....so cutting down my chances of even getting a bait in the water.

The forum needs posts and I ve said I ll post when the time suits.............as I say take a step back and actually read what is written.

15. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

if youd have only written. as a club member i dont want to disclose any marks. then fair enough but when it becomes about numpties that dont have a clue fishing next to you, i think it goes abit far. everyone has to fish a mark for the first time and learn it for themselves no matter how much info their given. just put yourself in the numpties position, what would you be like fishing on a beach next to someone who thinks that of you???. thats the worst thing about some club anglers. there are those who want to help such as in ducky's post and those who want it all for themselves.

16. michael76

michael76 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The BestEST

i'll second that.

17. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Dan...here's an example:

fishing away in tide along comes another angler casts straight out....tide pulls gear round wiping out two other anglers. All reel in untangle, a gentle suggestion is put forward along these lines..." Mate you should try walking up tide a biit and casting at an angle then let your lead settle before winding down to it."
    Next cast straight out wipes out two sets of gear again.
    All untangle and the rig is seen to not have shockleader on it......suggest, " Mate you need to cast uptide or this will keep happening...and really seeing as I m down from you maybe best if you put some shockleader on."

Response..." I casting infront of me where I m fishng you cast where you're fishing."

So the next option is a tricky one....do you move and spoil your day or do you move him which still spoils your day.

Having fished the rocks that situation just doesn t happen, if it did down on Ravenscar then there would be bloody noses aplent no doubt !

Ok I concede my comment of "dare I say numpties" maybe was maybe open to misconception........but given the above scenario which isn t a rare occurance but a frequent one....how would you describe an angler who is given suggestions but doesn t take notice ? I think in that scenario numpty was a very measured description.

So when faced with a lad who looks like they could do with some help then if they are resceptive to some help I ll offer it........but not at the expense of my own fishing.....and certainly not before I ve even had the chance.......christ lad we get our own club members trying to throw red herrings about as it is.

Before having a go at club anglers though jion one see what it is like.........then decide.

18. wellycod

wellycod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I think its fair to say jelly worm has posted more than his fair share of marks, rigs, tackle reviews ect.....

and as i novice i find his posts useful, and informative, i particularly like reading his weekly new rod review lol

19. clifftoprunner1

clifftoprunner1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

only been on forum couple of months now and enyoy the reading.its my opinion that each and every angler has his own way of doing things.,there,s some top anglers on this coastline from tyne right down to spurn,and each and every one of them was once a novice. some started as kids some in there later years. some follow the crowds and some do there own thing, i respect that. you,ll always get people staying quiet but you can,t catch again whats in there fish bag,
    pete

20. Dav

Dav Rockling

That sounds like fun iain .