1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have People Stopped Posting Catch Reports ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Have people stopped posting catch reports to the site ?? I was talking to someone the other day who had had some good catches of late, he said he wouldnt put them on here as it would lead to the marks getting crowded. I was wondering if others were doing this too ?? Not that it matters of course as its up to the individual, but it would be nice to know what people think.

2. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

It's been tough on rock for the latter part of the season as well we all know !......I touched on the catch report thing on the Holderness site where for me there are far too many short bland "caught a fish here " type of posts and far too many people just wanting their noses dropping on fish with no effort on their part.......so for me I ll post a report of a trip out as I did about Spurn last week ....but I won't be posting where I m catching my fish because too many others give nothing back....not a sniff of a report, no tips no experiences.........which is a shame as the forum is a better place with reports but more than the small hardcore of posters need to start contributing rather than just taking.

3. carpyken

carpyken New Member

I'm sure the kayak lads will be colouring up the pages of the forum with impressive catches in the very near future :happy:

4. Baramundi Bob

I sort of get the feeling Dave that those who give nothing are often the types who want everything kept hush hush. The ones that feel threatened by the presence of others. Obviously they aren't quite as good as they believed they were as a good angler will always catch the fish regardless of who is around him. Its those types that spur me onto to make reports because I know it winds them up.

Are beach anglers very secretive Dave or do you feel they are more open than the rockies ??

5. speno

speno Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Not had a lot to report on of late been to busy in the shed playing with my kayak and making wooly lures ready for the weather picking up :happy:

6. Simon L

Simon L Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well i,ve been out most nights and every weekend but not got anything worth putting up in here, you will all laugh at me :lol:

7. Baramundi Bob

You can always rely on the yakkers for something worth reading Ken. Just to wet your appetite

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12792.0

8. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

i promise to try harder !!!! sounds like a school report.. i dont know about others but i am really struggling to catch anything decent at the moment.. small undersize codling and pin yting.. seem to be my favourites at the moment... hopefully i will get a rogue cod at the weekend.. camera at the ready...
    cheers
    Paul

9. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Glenn I ve found that here are far more beach anglers or so called anglers who buy the odd pkt of worms a box of squid , don't look at tides,weather etc and then expect to go out and catch fish every trip. When they don't they are grumbling and muttering and wanting to know where they will catch a fish, but give nothing back. The club scene down here is very competitive just as on rock and I know that the rock club lads don't give much away......there is just as much gamesman-ship on the sand...........having said that I ve learnt so much ore than i could have ever have hoped about the beach fishing in just one season of club fishing.

I think there is a reluctance to give too much away because the beaches do get completely rammed with ......dare I say it......some right numpties...who can t fish tide, don t know how to cast,haven t a clue about rigs ........and so why should any angler.....who has put a lot of hard work in digging bait at midnight, scratching about for crab in the seasons we don t get em......give away where he has caught fish to those who do nothing in return.........the lads in my club and the other clubs despite being competitive also exchange information because there is a real sense of give and take not just take.

There was a recent passionate debate about the value in posting about where fish had come from on the beaches because within a day or two of a few reports of fish in a certain spot the whole stretch of beach was sewn up with nets and rammed with anglers.......I wonder how many of those anglers go out seeking the fish themselves or just remain 'fish-chasing gypsies' :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:........

The rock is different I think because the percentage of anglers who fish the rock marks that are serious and work hard at their sport as opposed to those who put nothing into it but driving to an easy access spot and chucking a lead is much more than on the beaches.....in other words the effort required for a lot of rock fishing means that the 'numpties' don't or won't bother....and the rock anglers have to work bloody hard for their fishing what with access, baiting,and the actual fishing,coping with tackle losses etc.........i reckon more rock anglers are capable of fishing on sand than the other way round ! :wink: :wink: :wink:

I don't mean to say that all beach anglers are numpties because they aren't but out of a given number anglers along a busy beach you only find a handful who have the skills or knowledge to be successful......maybe I ll get there one day...lol........but fishing both rock and beach I know that a fair number of beach anglers nearly faint at the thought of what a rock angler has to contend with compared with the relative ease of beach fishing.and so I could understand a rock angler not giving away his most recent bagging up spot particularly if fishing club/open matches. The beaches however are another ball game and I do have to wonder when people are asking where to go a week or so in advance of a trip out and basing their decision on catches days before they go...........mind you I suppose at least they can then go chasing shadows and leave the fish for the rest of us......lol :laugh: :laugh:

10. philjory

philjory Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I live in the black country so i'm landlocked i love reading about fish being caught and seeing pic's obviously it don't matter to me where they are being caught as it's not very often i can get there anyway. But may i just say that the story of how it was caught the bait and tackle used should be enough for anyone especially as they are also finding out that there are fish out there somwhere you can call me a sado or a geek or an anorak if you want but i just like reeding your post and if you can make head or tail of this post your better than me and i wrote it and i'm also more than just a little bit pi-sed

11. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

I would have like to read a report from Lobbers about his good weekend last week fishing of dare I say it Whitby west pier.

Not so I can jump in the car go to the tackle shop to get some bait and then straight on to Whitby to fish of the pier :no:.
    More for info regarding rigs / baits used :wink: as I have just got back into the shore fishing this winter and have really enjoyed getting out and learning new tackticks. But I have yet to catch a sizable coddling :sad: but am still trying like last night climbing around the Rock over at Hartlepool went down on the afternoon at low to do abit of homework as were to fish then went back after tea for a few hours still no fish though oh well.

It would be nice to read some post's of some of the (how can I put it) more experienced anglers :whistle:.
    As it beets watching the sh'te ar lass watches on the telly every night and it seams I still have allot to learn :educated:.

Roll on boat fishing in the sun :yes: :yes: :yes: :happy: :happy:

12. rizla

rizla Blenny

if someone wants to buy a packet of lug or squid and try their luck on a beach then surely they have that right.their level of competence is none of your business.correct me if i'm wrong,but i thought the majority of beaches,certainly the ones most people fish,are ownded by the crown up to the high water mark and not by you or fishing clubs. it must be nice when everything comes naturally and you don't have to learn.

13. captain cod eye

captain cod eye Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I was fishing monday night and said i would put a report up and i haven't yet because i've been really busy. I will put it up later or tomorrow. . . . . . .

14. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I usually put a report up even if I blank. I dont always put the mark in but quite often do. We need catch reports, they insire us to keep trying. You dont have to give your mark away if you dont want to

15. wellycod

wellycod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I think its a bit sad if you dont post your fishing reports up because you want to keep your marks a secret or else whats the point of being on the forum? Fair enough you don't have to give a mark away but saying jacksons bay for example tells people an area but theres hundreds of marks with in the bay itself.

On the other hand when theres so few cod around like this year i suppose you couldn't blame some one for keeping a hot spot to them selves.

16. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

For what it's worth, I was up in the N/east last week from late Tuesday until Saturday night.
    Fished Saltburn pier Wednesday night for a few hours over high water.
    A bite a cast until high water then went quiet for a while then a few bites before packing in about 4.30am.
    All bites were small stuff, one guy had a small codling and an even smaller one and also a flounder.
    I had the smallest bass I have ever seen and also the smallest codling I've ever seen. I had to check the codling 3 times too make sure what it was, before I found it's beard! Thought it was a small whiting.

Fished the pier Thursday but nothing again, only half a dozen of us and nobody got anything, the sea was making though all the time. I left, followed very quickly by the others.

Fished Redcar beach, one of my old haunts), Saturday night before I left at 1.30am to head off home down the M1 and caught nought. Talked to a guy who fishes there all the time, around my old stamping ground, and said the ONLY month he hasn't caught Bass there is February, :wink: BECAUSE he hasn't fished for them then. :yes:

Lovely to be up there and getting the night air but being there for only a few days I can't pick the time and tides, just pot luck.
    But worth the trip! :happy:

17. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

I agree with some of the stuff you're saying Dave, such as the all take and no give stuff, but it's really not a major problem to me. I think that what you're saying about people wanting to know where to fish way in advance and ramming out beaches where a fish or two have come out recently is right, but you have said it yourself. Let them do that.

If I was planning to fish a venue two days in a row on a weekend I would maybe think of not posting till the second day if I'd done well on the first, but the next tide is mostly a different story. As the tides and conditions change, so do the whereabouts of the fish. Think about it, if you bag up down southern end of Holderness on a smaller tide, come the next weekend people might well fish there but you will have moved up the coast and hopefully back onto the fish.

It's not really fair to grief people though, everyone has to start from somewhere. When I look back how I have changed since I started I have progressed a lot, and as with everyone else I will continue to learn for as long as I continue to fish. However, the one thing that has been constant is that I have always enjoyed myself doing something which I take great pleasure in, regardless of my amount of skill. Everyone's got the right to that.

18. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

One reason i have not been putting up reports cos its hard work when your doin off your phone. I am probily one of the take people. Sorry if i am. Since i joined the mills club my fishing has gone upside down. I never thought i would be so worried where to fish, whats the weather like. Can i get there and back. Have i got all rigs made ect. Also working hard to make you careless anglers sinkers. Lol. You should be a little more careful but not to careful.
    Thankyou if you have helped me.
    Ducky

19. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Same with me John, takes f***ing ages to type posts and even longer to get pics on! Hard to type when you can only immediately see about the last 3 or 4 words!

20. Baramundi Bob

I must admit, its funny how peoples views have changed over the years. Some people who now wont put reports on are the ones who used the site or the pm system to gain friends who gave them the knowledge they now have. It sort of defeats the object really. The philosophy should be, you learn from use of the site, so you give it back as you go regardless of what anyone else does or says. Even though there are takers there are a lot of genuine folk out there too.