1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Anyone Here Ever Fished The Isle Of Man ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Looking mostly for info on Kayak, shore for Bass and Pollack.

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I lived there for a few months in 1999 but didnt do much fishing other than catching dogfish from Douglas Harbour. I know that the rocky marks in are great for Wrasse and Pollack. The North West beaches throw up a few bass, and you can get Tope from the Shore at the Point of Ayre

3. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

Tope sounds good

4. Baramundi Bob

3 hours to the mersey ports. Sounds good for a weekend ?

5. cps

cps Rockling

would think it will be a bit like fishing mog area only a stones throw away

6. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

http://www.manxshorefishing.com/

although the site is now finished there is some links to local fishing clubs on there... they may be some use to you glenn
    cheers
    Paul

7. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Smaile beach on the north west part of the island was the place for tope , douglas breakwater (s ) can be very good for conger and mid
    sized pollack , I think most of the headlands with a decent depth of water and catch the tide will be good for pollack , Peel Harbour gave
    good mixed fishing that included mullet , large coalfish etc

8. Baramundi Bob

Do you think it would be worth a trip over Alan. Thinking of a long weekend at some point.

9. carpyken

carpyken New Member

If your thinking of taking the kayaks Glenn I have (somewhere) this really good book. It gives really local tidal stream information and landing & launching spots for the whole circumference of the IOM, even if your fishing from the shore it'll give you a good idea where you'll find those big pollock, I'll dig it out and scan the relevant pages.

[​IMG]

Ken

10. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Loads of places to launch a yak. Thousands of quiet little coves and beaches. I love the place but not been back since 99.

Sent from my GT-i9300 using Tapatalk 2

11. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Glenn,

Mike Ladle mentions Port Erin Bay as a Bass mark in the book Hooked on Bass, just googled it and it looks pretty canny.

12. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Coastline does look immense, being a biker i'd' only go for one thing! The TT races ;)

13. Baramundi Bob

Matty, do you know how long it takes on the ferry ?

14. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I used to get the ferry from heysham it took about 3.5 hours. I think there is a faster cat service though. Search Google for isle of man steam packet company they run the ferries.

Sent from my M532 using Tapatalk 2

15. Baramundi Bob

Just found the cat service Matty, 2 hrs. Cost £200 for a vehicle and 4 passengers. Sounds good actually. 3 hour drive and 2 hours on ferry is good. Speaking to a guy on Facebook reckons he can put me on some good bass fishing. Would be nice to find an alternative to MOG. Were also looking at skye and Raasay this year. Mike says scenery is awesome.

16. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I had some good fishing over there although it was 30 yars ago . It has a hell of alot of scope , I mainly fished the brakwaters at douglas doing best on the one that the ferry from Heysham docks on, a man had 2 conger one night for 54 lb ! 31 and 23 lb , its a lovelly
    island to visit but I dont think just 3 or so days would give a true reflection on things

17. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

that's the same spot I fished Alan, real deep water off there and fishing out of the back of your car. mind all I caught was doggies. I didnt have a clue what I was doing though.. no change there then!

18. Davyred

Davyred Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fished it for a week 30 years ago as part of the Isle of Man Festival. The place that stood out for me was the calf of man. We had Conger to 15lb, Pollack to 7lb and loads of wrasse up to 3lb. There are any amount of marks down there. I also found one of the biggest eaters I've ever seen down there. We were walking along this gully at low water when I seen the carapace lying in a pool. Me and my mate had a casual flick of some weed nearby, not expecting to find anything, but as I flicked this weed over, it was just sitting there, jelly soft. I'm not joking, it must've been 9-10 inches across the back.

The other highlight of my week there was me and 2 mates chasing this shoal of 4-5lb mullet all over douglas breakwater trying to catch them :laugh:

The beaches to the north are really good for tope at times, I'm sure you'll find more info on the web about it.

Loved the place, and would love to go back.