1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hair Rigging

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by 3be2, Oct 15, 2013.

1. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

Now stop that laughter at the back there :-[

Does anyone 'hair rig' their bait? I know for sure that some fish are pretty much immune to 'hair rigs' (eg Chub) because of the way they feed. What about Cod?

Trouble is, my presentation of a peeler wouldn't attract other Crabs never mind a Cod. It looks like I've thrown up on the hook and launched it into the Sea.

Can I 'hair rig' the Crab instead? Does it work with Cod? Anyone tried it? What hooks might work?

2. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

I hair rig all my baits for cod. My hair is usually quite thick and i generally tie a big 6/0 to my hair just to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk magic crystals shine bright with this one Jedi

3. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

Laugh if you want to but I was seriously considering whipping the crab onto a lollipop stick and attaching that to the (40lb amnesia) hair.

I have had some nice Cod (and Bass) by 'hair rigging' a small hook to the main one and baiting the small hook with a bit of lug. Once I get a nibble I hit the bite and judge whether I have a Rockling or similar on ... then leave it out there. I have had some nasty '3 foot twitches' doing that. Live bait at range (I'm a very good Pike angler).

My problem (I think) is that last Sat (12th) I was trying all this in all the wrong places. I read your 17 Cod report, from the same night, and where you were fishing and figured that, if I had your experience, I would have tried the same methods in some nice sheltered area. That way I could judge my success based on the 'bait' rather than my crap Sea reading skills.

Anyhoo ... It's worth a try then? Hair rig the Crab/Squid. Shove a 'deadbait pencil' up the squid and tie it to a hair with a short shank version of a Sakuma 545?

4. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

our dad uses cable ties which is kind of hair rigging. i'm not convinced it works any better though

5. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

aint that what pennel rigs are ::) the reason you hair rig(course fishing) is that fish suck and blow bait cos there weary
    of been hooked hence when the fish blows out a hair hook its a self hooking rig ;)
    cod verses crab is not aware of a hook as a course fish would be and im sure is having it!
    but the pennel rig is on the same lines im sure ;D

6. BlackSheep

BlackSheep Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I'm kinda with you on the pennel rig... with the top hook being very exposed.

But just to mention, one of the other big advantages of a hair rig (or swimmer rig or sliding ring, etc, etc) is that the hook is free to turn without the weight of the bait, so if the fish moves off with the bait in their mouth, the hook length tighten and pulls the hook and bait out of their mouth but as the hook is free it will turn in the fishes mouth and typically hook them in the corner of the mouth.

I say give it a go 3x2, whats the worst that could happen :D

7. Lobbers

Too much fannying about. You don't need to go to these extremes to catch cod. If your worried about the top hook of your pennel being exposed use a smaller circle or a big carp hook or like I do bury your top hook into your big bait. By the time you fanny about hair rigging the cod will have been and gone. Be done with this silly idea ya great lump of wood!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk magic crystals shine bright with this one Jedi

8. BlackSheep

BlackSheep Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

No, perhaps I wasn't clear, if you DO have a big exposed top hook that's a good thing and not that far off what 3x2 was hoping to achieve with a hair rig.

In your experience Lobbers, when using a pennel, which hook is hooking the fish most often???

9. Lobbers

A big exposed top hook is ideal over soft ground but a no no over heavy , sorry I haven't fished the soft yet. That's why I would say a smaller top hook in the rough and equal size over the soft. But the hair Idea is just not needed

10. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

got to agree with lobbers m8,sounds a bit over the top that idea.
    Just pennel rig it,smaller strong hook on the top if it's snaggy,so as not to get caught up & same or a bit bigger top hook if it's a cleaner venue.Not only does the top hook secure your bait & help it to aid presentation but if a fish takes the top of the bait u stand a much better chance of nailing him :D
    Just me thoughts on the idea :p

11. Lobbers

I know a top rod I wont mention his name but the ones in the know will know if you know what I mean, c w, uses carp hooks for his cod fishing, a big bait with two carp hooks buried within, and he yanks them out no probs and I bet he gets snagged a hell of a lot less

12. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

I had thought about using the hair rig before but can see no advantages for it in the sea, might as well just fish the pennel. I use a small circle as my top hook but most the time both hooks are in, a cod wont feed the same as a warey carp

13. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

I can see that a hair rig might be a good idea to prevent deeply hooked flat fish.

14. Lobbers

Chance of a flatty finding the hook would be very slim you would probably still catch them though they would inhale the bait and have a hook pressed up against Their nose lol

15. I's good to be a member of a supportive forum

;D ;D

16. Lobbers

Lol he picked his name lol

17. Slim Jim

Slim Jim Blenny

A couple of thoughts on this one. one of the reasons for hair rigging for carp is the nervous nature of the fish after being caught a number of times, this will not be a problem with cod as more often than not they are taken home and eaten when caught . Also a hair rig is designed to hook a carp in the bottom lip as it moves away or tries to blow the bait out of its mouth. this is to hook the fish securely without damaging it for future catches. Again for cod fishing that doesn't really apply, a gut hooked cod is probably the safest to land for us and so a good think and who cares if we damage the fish getting the hook out we are going to kill it and eat it anyway !!

18. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

i regularly fish the river wear with my son after the chub and have had chub to 6lb and bags exceeding 25lb and all have fell to hair rigged bait ranging from halibut pellets to cockles to cheese paste ... we only ever use hair rigs... i find them a successful way to catch chub as well as barbel and sometimes the large bream that also shoal in the deeper swims...

never tried it for sea fishing ...but you never know give it a try.. personally i think it wont be as effective as when freshwater fishing..
    cheers
    Paul

19. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

20. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

It wasn't really about hooking the fish, more about dealing with the bait. I'll try a pennel and see how that goes. My baits look like shoit and I wondered if I was missing fish because there was just a big mess on the end with a hook buried in there somewhere.

Can safely say that I can count the number of Chub taken on a HR on one hand. Then again I can safely count the number of Cod on one hand so maybe I'm just crap at fishing :-[

Lobbers is always helpful - even while he's kicking you in the nuts. You know he has a good reason for doing it ;)

If any of you are really bored next time you are out then take a quick pic of your bait just before it goes out and post it on here. Rigs, knots and fish galore but no one ever shows you how they whip a feckin Crab on! (no links to youtube and that nice man in the kitchen demonstrating the correct way - I need to be able to do it on the rocks in November)