1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greatham creek

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Tony Young, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Tony Young

Tony Young New Member

I am fairly new to sea fishing but not angling. My preference has always been rivers ,for big chub ,pike, perch barble ,trout and grayling .I have also fished in Canada and Florida for largemouth bass . I enjoy fishing lures ,jelly worms ,jigging but having no experience on saltwater species from shore any advice from likeminded anglers particular anyone who has fished greatham creek .Thanks lads.

2. burtyme

burtyme Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The Saltwater side of the Estuary, after the road bridge, has been decimated by the explosion of the Seal Colony.
    Used to be the Inplace to win the Hartlepool Club matches, big bags of Flounders and Silver eels, but Dead now.
    i've fished it on and off for the last 4 years and blanked most times.
    Fresh Peeler and Maddies only atract the Crab population.
    The Mullet have also gone, along with the Bass that you used to be able to Spin, Plug and Fluff chuck for.

The Channel has been Dredged by Able Uk to get the Rig Mobules and Ghost Ships into the Docks. So the Whiting and small codling has improved during the Winter Months.

Best of luck if you try it. Put a report on the Forum.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. basha

basha Blenny

agree with the above.
    i was once guaranteed a mullet or two and flounders in abundance.
    fished it a few yrs back and managed two eels and it was hard work,the guys with the binoculars didnt find it very amusing either me fishing down there and i got a few spitfull looks to say the least.probabely better heading to the north gare and fishing the stones on the right hand side,still a few tiddlers to catch and cod if theres a sea on.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Tony Young

Tony Young New Member

Thanks lads , I will give it a try see how it goes, Are you able to walk from the main road bridge all the way to the mouth of the creek?

5. basha

basha Blenny

been a few yrs since i done it but yes you could fella.

6. burtyme

burtyme Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Alternativly, park at the Zinc Works and walk to the right past the field of horses.
    This brings you out at the Slag rocks and the Water Outfall from the Power Station.
    Don't get to close to the Power Station fence as the Armed Police will come and "politely" ask you to leave.