1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grayling - "The Lady of the stream"

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by Davo, Jan 11, 2010.

1. rupert

rupert Blenny

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Now that is more like my kind of budget Rupert! Good find :happy: That's one for the xmas list :embarrass:

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Just been reading up on them Rupert, they look good for the money so one will be on order soon :yes: Cheers for that bud.

Also, do you know if there is there a joining fee for the York AC?

4. rupert

rupert Blenny

No joining fee as far as I know - have a skeg at their website http://www.ydaa.org.uk/index.html

I seem to remember the annual ticket runs from 1st January each year, but you'd better check.

5. Davo

Davo Rockling

Ive been looking on the York site for some time now, but cant make my mind up with regards to joining :gum:

6. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

They seem to have some decent rivers stretches Dave. I wasn't going to bother joining a club next year (I haven't for the last few years) as 99% of my fishing these days is sea fishing, however Jan-May the sea fishing is pants.
    Once the ice melts I'm sorted for stillwater Pike/Carp fishing but I really fancy some Grayling fishing and quivertipping for Chub/Barbel. York seem to have one or two bits of river suitable for fly fishing as well which is handy come March/April.

7. Davo

Davo Rockling

I'm already in a few clubs that offer good fishing for those species Sam thats why i've held back on joining York. Dont forget about the Leeds club, as they offer plenty of water. Bradford AC do as well.

http://www.leedsdasa.co.uk/html/individual.html

8. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Great! Now I can't decide between Leeds or York AC! Cheers Dave! :cheesy: :cheesy:

9. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

They certainly do - they owned half the banksides where I grew up - upper Wensleydale!

10. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

where exactly biscuit? my family is from that area

11. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

This pin is worth a look http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IKONIX-CENTRE-PIN-REEL-/310264995930?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Fishing_Reels_JN&hash=item483d3c205a&afsrc= and the same reel from a different scource but at a much better price and they're selling like hot cakes at a hot cake stall http://www.dragoncarpdirect.com/products/Marco-Cortesi-Signature-Centrepin-reel.html is

Both of those above are the same reel as the TFG pin which retails at a penny under a £100

I know Dragon carp have'nt got any in at the moment and are waiting for there new stock to arrive but the link should work when they arrive

12. rupert

rupert Blenny

Who else fishes with a 'centre pin' - if so what make and model reel do you use?

What are opinions on line guards - having used one on my Hardy Conquest for the first time, I found it helped quite a bit. :yes:

13. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I use a Grice and Young, Avon Royale Supreme with a line guard and see no good reason to remove it, nice reel albeit getting on a bit now but still good and coupled with a spliced tip float rod is a joy to use

14. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Something I have been thinking about. I have just started for fishing and was thinking center pin for grayling.

15. lochbois

lochbois Guest

The centre pin i use for grayling if im ever going to get myself out is older than me and i was leant it and now sadly the fellow has died and i am the proud owner.
    Its called the Major and was made by Mordex Precistion Industries , Sheffield. England.
    The reel has a line guard on it which was broken when i was given the reel but i have repaired the guard myself .
    The reel might be heavy by todays alloys but it still catches grayling.
    The rod i usually use will be older than myself because it was bought second hand by my father when i was first starting fishing.
    The rod is solid fiberglass with brass ferrels and a long cork handle and two seperate sections its a spinning rod judging by the rings on it.
    Both are great to use and bring memories back .
    Wish i could drag my lazy body out to do a spot of grayling fishing.

16. rupert

rupert Blenny

I was shooting topside of Pickering today and crossed the Rye on the Malton/Pickering road. The snow melt has pushed it well up, so I think that will curtail any grayling for a few days now. :sad:

17. seabass

seabass Blenny

Hi Rupert.

You say that you where shooting top side of Pickering where abouts do you go, i myself have afew days in that area so was just interested.

18. rupert

rupert Blenny

I was invited as a guest on a syndicate shoot at Raindale in Cropton Forest.

19. seabass

seabass Blenny

Shot there before myself, this Thursday i am shooting at Bransdale just hoping that we don,t get to much snow.

20. bucko

bucko New Member

Incidentally there's a Go Fishing 'Centrepin Special' on Discovery Shed right now and Wilson is catching some very pretty grayling.
    Its repeated at 5pm today.