1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grayling - "The Lady of the stream"

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by Davo, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Davo

Davo Rockling

Very true Brian.

With regards to the Laver, i think its fly only, especially, if its the Ripon Piscatorials stretch.

2. bucko

bucko New Member

I'm surprised you haven't fished it Dave. It looks like those big becks/little rivers you seem to have a soft spot for.
    The pictures also show it to be overgrown (must have been taken in Autumn) and that makes me think "lightly fished".

3. Davo

Davo Rockling

No doubt i'll add it to the list Ian :wink:
    I went on the Leven for chub last week and ended up with a seatrout :happy:

4. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

All right Davo

Looks like you're finding out about one of the best kept secrets about the Leven

Which clubs if any are you a member of

5. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I was wondering if the Sea-Trout on the Leven had got through the new fish ladder on the Dam at Leven Bank.
    Or was it caught down stream of the Weir.
    All good news for the Tees, and its tributeries in these difficult times we need more anglers to join clubs here in the north-east or we will lose them all together.
    I hope we are going to see more salmon and sea- trout getting past the Tees Barrage when the New white Water Course opens with its 24 hour flowing water. :happy:pB

6. Davo

Davo Rockling

Now then Brian. I'm in Thornaby and Middlesbrough clubs.

Peter, seatrout have always run the leven. I dont think the fish pass is operational yet, as the EA where waiting 3 years from build to opening it for some reason. Hopefully it is open now? I had 2 fish out last November as well without targetting them.

7. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Hope you get more on the Leven Davo. We have got to keep up the pressure on getting more fish past the Teesbarrage.
    Like Brian said, we have some secret rivers here .
    Im in BAAC and they are asking members if we want to stay on the Tees.
    I think we have to fight for the Tees .
    Better shut up talking about that frigging dam its got me barred of two forums already.
    Is their any Grayling on the Leven?
    I caught grayling at Middleton one row in the 70/80 below the Davenport hotel and their was some big chub in the Tees their.
    That was the days before i became a fly fisherman.
    First Grayling i ever caught was on the Swale and i was on the bus because i wasnt old enough to drive.
    That was near the road bridge below the waterfall in Richmond :happy:.

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

Any pics of the seatrout davo , i think they are lovely fish them . are you fishing above the leven bank road bridge ?
    When i used to do abit of pike plugging in the wear at leven i used to watch the small brown trout swimming up the wear and that was when the water was low .

9. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Them small browns were probably the Sea-Trout of the Future.
    I was going to join Thornaby for the Sea-Trout on the Leven a few years back when i saw a lot of sea-trout trapped in that cage on the Barrage.
    I wonder if the owner of the Tall Trees has now got the fishing rights at Leven Bank.
    I knew the last landlord in the Pub and he used to allow me to fish the water because the Vaux brewey had the fishing rights.

10. Davo

Davo Rockling

Sorry Dav i aint got no pics, but its something i need to do and learn how to put them on the site. :embarrass:

11. rupert

rupert Blenny

How time flies! It was nearly 12 months ago, since I last wrote my article on grayling fishing on the River Rye.

I’ve just bought another centre pin reel – a 4½” Hardy Conquest, so I was keen to try it out. The conquest is a true centre pin, in that it runs on a spindle and not on bearings like my Okuma Trent.

Whilst Okuma Trent centre pins are excellent, they are if anything a bit too free running. The Okuma reel is quite a bit heavier than my new hardy, which means it takes more inertia to set the spool spinning, and once it is spinning it can get ahead of itself a bit, making line control slightly tricky. (I know I could probably slow the Okuma pin down with a different oil in the bearings) The Okuma doesn’t have a line guard either, which seemed to help quite a bit too.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics of my new Hardy ‘pin’.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the time I arrived at Rievaulx, it was around 1.15pm which would give me a couple of hours fishing. I remembered the pool where I’d had my action almost a year ago, so headed straight there. Standing in exactly the same 40 yard long pool as I fished in the snow 12 months ago, gave me that feeling of déjà vu.

Thankfully, the grayling were still in residence. I bumped a fish on the very first run through, but soon shaped myself and fared better. I picked up a couple of fish at the head of the pool including this nice male grayling – the split dorsal made him look a bit of an old warrior!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There where also some females in residence, with smaller, less sail like dorsal fins.

[​IMG]

Once I got into the body of the pool, in the slightly slower water, I only had two trots down the pool where I didn’t get a bite. Despite the cold, the fish were certainly having it!

[​IMG]

What was interesting was that the fish were quite select about the size of brandling they would take. The best worms to use where 1 – 1½”. I had one bigger worm in the tub about 3” long and this was repeatedly ignored.

A few out of season brownies put an appearance in too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not all the grayling were rod benders – this little fellow must be this current year class of fish.

[​IMG]

By 3.30pm, my legs were getting pretty cold from standing waist deep in the river and the rod rings were icing up anyway. I wanted to catch one more, then decided to call it a day.

[​IMG]

So there finished a great couple of hours. The final tally was 17 grayling and 4 trout. I was well pleased with the Hardy centre pin too, a very pleasurable reel to use.

Why not add to this post with pictures of grayling caught by you or other forum members?

12. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

brilliant stuff Rupert, I must get out and have a go. did you try the fly at all?

13. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Well done Rupert. I tend to think once your line starts sticking in the rings it is time for the great indoors!

14. rupert

rupert Blenny

The fly will have to wait for another session Matty. I do want to properly suss this czech nymphing lark though.

15. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Don't you ever get bored of catching lovely fish all the time Rupert? You make it look easy!

I've been thinking about this Grayling fishing over the last few days, now that the roads are a little better I'm thinking of venues I could get to. Grayling fishing with snow on the ground is well up on my wish list :yes:

Well done on some lovely fish anyway bud plus that was the smallest Garyling I've ever seen!

16. seabass

seabass Blenny

Nice report Rupert.
    This grayling fishing looks very interesting something that i will have to have ago at.
    Would be very interested to have a go on the flie for them not done this kind of flie fishing before, but could do with someone to point me in the right direction.

17. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

What a splendid report and a first class session. Very well done and superb pics. That first Male Grayling does certainly look as though he has fought for a few ladies favours.

18. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Looks like a mink or an otter has had a bite at the graylings fin.
    We were fishing for grayling at Catterick bridge and one of the fish had a bite mark in its side from a mink.
    I saw the mink in the pool and also a big rat.
    Great pictures :happy:pB

19. bucko

bucko New Member

Lovely stuff as always Rupert and that centrepin is rather desirable.
    Some smashing fish too- even your smallest is bigger than the last one I had!

20. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Seriously considering buying a centrepin and a season ticket for the Rye/Seven! :cheesy: