1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boat Fishing GPS/Fishfinder/Plotter advice

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Heroformosa, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Heroformosa

Heroformosa New Member

Hi. I'm new to this site though not to sea angling. My 19' boat is currently fitted with separate GPS and fishfinder but what I want is a unit which will plot the sea bed to create a 3D map built up over time as I cover the ground I fish on over and over again - so it has both GPS and sonar functions but the map building feature is the key thing. These units are commonplace on commercial fishing boats around here but when I last looked were too big and way too expensive. Hopefully they've now come withing reach of an ordinary guy with a hobby angling boat. I've not looked for one for a while - do any of you guys know what's out there, and can you recommend anything? Thanks!

2. 8000c

8000c New Member

H,
    There are a few on the market.
    Garmin Simrad, lowrance all have mfd sets that support side scan and 3D transducers.
    These will depend on your budget for the size of screen.
    I would strongly advise you to get the biggest screen you can afford.
    Paul

3. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

you could pay for a trip out with one of the charter boats that have them fitted? They will have the best idea of which is value for money etc. the whitby charter skippers web page has a list of all contacts for the boats. Their web pages sometimes mention what kit they have fitted. It would be money well spent?

4. Heroformosa

Heroformosa New Member

Thanks - unfortunately I'm in the north west Highlands of Scotland, so a trip out from Whitby couldn't happen anytime soon! ...and there are no charter boats here. I could contact them as you suggest though - good idea. Digging around I found this: http://cdn.echomastermarine.co.uk/assets/Uploads/Olex-Brochure.pdf which does all I'm looking for but it looks expensive and I don't know if there are others to compare it with.

5. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Pm sent