1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

government using our fishing as bargaining in brexit deal?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Pugwash, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Pugwash

Pugwash Blenny

Hello Everyone,
    Do you want UK fishing grounds to be:
    a) UK property and controlled by the UK or
    b) Do you want the EU to have full access to them [own them]?
    If you believe a) is your wish, please follow link below and sign the petition, otherwise you need ignore this message.
    It's straightforward to sign the petition.......your name, country, e:address. You are then sent an e:message which requires a 'click' to sign.
    Please forward this to anyone, or any club, who may be interested, and can use a separate e:address to one that has been used to sign [this is to prevent fraudulent signings].

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/185827

2. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Unfortunately it is the same government in charge now who originally gave our fishing rights away in the first place nothing changes .

But I can tell you this it ain't the Spanish ,French , or any other other fishing fleet in the Eu that is destroying our cod stocks off the Yorkshire coast its scallop Dredgeing by our own boats they have done more damage to the grounds where the cod live and breed it's catastrophic what's they have done here the grounds have been ripped apart and they are still doing it as we speak .

We warned IFCA what was happening here but it fell on deaf ears now the repercussions are showing its hand it's a disaster whats actually happened here .

Paul

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Howard

Howard Blenny

Well said Paul I'm glad the subjects been brought up. I assumed it was our lot a bit south of you that has had its fishing well and truly shafted by the boats working out of Scarborough. If Scarborough still had a fleet of conventional trawlers they would never have let this lot in. Some of our most prolific wrecks have been smashed to pieces by these lot and a couple of favourite wooden ones have gone all together and the ground surrounding them ruined.
    Some of the boats had many baskets of steam coal on their decks when I walked round the harbour last summer indicating how close they are towing their gear as they try to get every last scallop. I was on a large wreck as one of these boats approached me last summer he was blowing his horn and shouting me to get out of his way but I knew he would not come over the wreck and risk damaging his gear. He veered off the very last moment.
    I fear the damage has been done. Look what happened in Luce Bay in the 80s. Its never recovered.
    They have just about cleaned up now and are working further south the potters are worried very worried.

4. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Howard I have my head in my hands mate when I steam off now what has been allowed to happen off the Yorkshire coast is shocking fantastic ground which used to hold vast amounts of fish now in tatters somebody should be held to account It should not have been allowed to happen .

5. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Anyone who thinks beam trawling for scallops is environmentally sustainable needs to give their heads a shake, it wrecks ground in much the same way big ground hopping gear did to the inshore grounds some 30 odd years ago, flat rock where big ground ledges used to be, barren ground now

The local IFCA really should hang their heads in shame as they've allowed the scallopers to come here and ruin the fishery as a whole when they have the evidence from other areas that show how much devastation scalloping does

6. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Brian st some stage it will hit national news that's how serious it is here the long term affects are frightening fish ,lobsters ,crabs the damage done its catastrophic it's the long term implications which is very worrying.

7. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

signed it, ( got the wife to sign it as well):)