1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Cod Just out of casting range... A lovely evening uptideing at Staithes..

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Oct 21, 2012.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

Staithes Uptide fishing 20-10-2012

With the calm sea's and sunny days a session cod fishing was far from my thoughts, that was until my good friend Darren Hanson (Dink) rang to ask if I fancied a bit of uptide fishing. he said he had been the night previous and had a couple of fish to 6lb. Well with not much prospects of catching much from the shore I jumped at the chance to join him on his boat..

We couldn't get afloat until 4pm because of the tide, so we decided to take our lamps and fish a little in to darkness. After 5 minutes from leaving the harbour Darren stopped the engine and dropped the anchor, We were fishing a few hundred yards off the low water marks. The fishing was slow for the first hour untill the tide increased and then the fishing improved. We were useing Crab, Cart, live Hermit crab and mussel for bait and casting it uptide 30-40 yards with a 7oz grip lead. Darren soon was pulling in the fish which left me scratching my head as to what I was doing wrong. The light started to fade and this seen me get my first fish, but it was no cod but one of the jumbo pouting which frequent the Boulby/Staithes area. it got dark and the size of the Cod was increasing me and Darren both landed some good cod around the 5lb mark then Darren got a cracking bite and it picked up his lead and headed down tide, by the bend in his rod I could tell that it was a much better fish and after a short tussle a lovely fresh cod of 9lb broke the surface. The smile on Darrens face showed that he was well happy with his cod and rightly so. Well it was time to head back to the harbour and for 3 hours fishing Darren had landed 7 cod and a pouting while I could only muster a couple of cod and a pouting but it was a lovely calm peaceful night at sea..

So hopefully just goes to show the fish are just out of casting range but with a bit of swell it should push them tight inshore..

A few pic's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tightlines.

2. robq

robq Rockling

Nice report Gary :yes:

we need some seas NOW !!!

3. speno

speno Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Some cracking fish there mate well done.

4. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

nice one daz and gaz :yes:

soon be in casting range when these seas come :pray:

5. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Good report and pics Gary and nice fish as well nice one. I had a go yesterday but had to come in before dark as I was going to see John Bishop at Newcastle arena. Check my post out Tightlines Chris

6. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

well done gary, cracking stamp of fish

7. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Well done lads good stuff .

paul.

8. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

Nice one lads. That blegg is huge in the second to last picture

9. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

cracking report and pics Gary. looks like Darrens local knowledge paid off :yes:

10. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nice one lads, some good fishing there. Those Pouting look a good size!

11. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

well done lad,s the swell is forecast for friday,
    we could be in for a treat, :cool: some canny fish in a short time there :yes:

12. halfprice

halfprice Owt For Nowt

welldone guys, great pics some cracking fish there

13. skarnsundet

skarnsundet Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

cracking fishing lads.

14. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

A cracking report there Gary , nice pics and some lovelly fish , think I will have to get the kite out or the ballon and the polo mint to reach them from the shore

15. Dink

Dink Blenny

Cracking report Gary! We will get another go as soon as we get chance! We'll take the gaffer with us to, save him wasting all his polos!

16. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done the pics certainly make the difference good report
    best of luck for the future

17. GJW

GJW Rockling

Yea definitely Darren. Save your Polo's for you balloon rigs in the Cape Verde, by the time the polo dissolves its take your ballon and bait far enough offshore and then your bait drops to the bottom.

18. brocky

brocky Hot Rod !!!

Some nice fish there for u's both gaz and another cracking report. Well done keep up the hard work.

Cheers lee

19. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Great stuff lads. I love uptiding, its the best form of boat fishing going.